Network Attached Storage (NAS)

Interesting point. I think my idea of pushing to a network share and turning the base station into a NAS are two separate and valid ideas. The push is important because it means any existing storage can be used and it does not depend on proximity to the base station. It also doesn’t demand long term storage on the base station. From a development point of view, if they already have the feature to back up to base station, this same feature can be extended to support any network share, like many network printers have.

As for turning the base station into a NAS, that would mean the introduction of a NAS server, security and such. It’s not impossible, to be sure, but it would also have to be a self-powered USB drive. I don’t think the little 12V adapter the base station comes with could power a drive too. I’m just thinking out loud here. On the surface, a good idea but I don’t know if they have enough space in their firmware storage for this. That’s not me being negative, it’s me saying I truly don’t know.

Would a NAS allow for better playback to speed through footage and smooth time lapse? Seems like a good solution to all the discussion going on in the playback channel.

QNAP TS-x53Be

I have little experience with it as it i new, but i would like to stoire data from my cameras on the NAS

1 Like

Wyze, anything new or is this just a tease?

977 votes & Still nothing…
the internet is Not very reliable & to be honest, most burglars are aware that 90%+ of all home surveillance systems / cameras out there are reliant on the Internet…
A growing number of home burglaries also include severed internet lines to keep the cameras & alarms from reporting, saving or being accessed while they are inside.
The Need for LOCAL Network Accessible Storage, NAS Drives, is more important than ever.
Why can’t wyze see that & add this SIMPLE feature???
Third parties have already hacked your firmware to do this, why cant you just include it???

1 Like

Ohya1337,
I hope Wyze has not abandoned the idea of a NAS. There are so many ways Wyze can go about this and make some revenue that I do not know why they haven’t yet come out with one.
I know they lost an agreement with another company for NAS but I think it would serve them better to make a program that could go on a NAS compatible unit.
All software.
Anyway, I agree completely with your assessment of needing NAS.

WYZE???

1 Like

Totally agree. If I ever need security monitoring beyond just watching my front door for deliveries, it will not be wyze or any cloud/SaaS reliant system.

1 Like

Load the RTSP firmware snd set up your own NVR system. That’s about all the help you’ll get from WYZE.

1 Like

I’m not moving right off so I have time. This place doesn’t need much, we are surrounded by water with only one guard gated access road. In a year or two when we move north it’ll most likely be a less secure location, then I’ll investigate options. But I’m leaning toward outdoor cams I can connect via POE with local nvr.

1 Like

Agreed, it does seem like Wyze has dropped NAS altogether. All these new items snd not a peep about NAS. When I started with Wyze one of the reasons I went with them is that “On the horizon , or just around the corner” NAS was going to come out.
I guess NAS is harder that detection.

1 Like