Network Attached Storage (NAS)

Interesting point. I think my idea of pushing to a network share and turning the base station into a NAS are two separate and valid ideas. The push is important because it means any existing storage can be used and it does not depend on proximity to the base station. It also doesn’t demand long term storage on the base station. From a development point of view, if they already have the feature to back up to base station, this same feature can be extended to support any network share, like many network printers have.

As for turning the base station into a NAS, that would mean the introduction of a NAS server, security and such. It’s not impossible, to be sure, but it would also have to be a self-powered USB drive. I don’t think the little 12V adapter the base station comes with could power a drive too. I’m just thinking out loud here. On the surface, a good idea but I don’t know if they have enough space in their firmware storage for this. That’s not me being negative, it’s me saying I truly don’t know.

Would a NAS allow for better playback to speed through footage and smooth time lapse? Seems like a good solution to all the discussion going on in the playback channel.

QNAP TS-x53Be

I have little experience with it as it i new, but i would like to stoire data from my cameras on the NAS

1 Like

Wyze, anything new or is this just a tease?

977 votes & Still nothing…
the internet is Not very reliable & to be honest, most burglars are aware that 90%+ of all home surveillance systems / cameras out there are reliant on the Internet…
A growing number of home burglaries also include severed internet lines to keep the cameras & alarms from reporting, saving or being accessed while they are inside.
The Need for LOCAL Network Accessible Storage, NAS Drives, is more important than ever.
Why can’t wyze see that & add this SIMPLE feature???
Third parties have already hacked your firmware to do this, why cant you just include it???

2 Likes

Ohya1337,
I hope Wyze has not abandoned the idea of a NAS. There are so many ways Wyze can go about this and make some revenue that I do not know why they haven’t yet come out with one.
I know they lost an agreement with another company for NAS but I think it would serve them better to make a program that could go on a NAS compatible unit.
All software.
Anyway, I agree completely with your assessment of needing NAS.

WYZE???

1 Like

Totally agree. If I ever need security monitoring beyond just watching my front door for deliveries, it will not be wyze or any cloud/SaaS reliant system.

1 Like

Load the RTSP firmware snd set up your own NVR system. That’s about all the help you’ll get from WYZE.

2 Likes

I’m not moving right off so I have time. This place doesn’t need much, we are surrounded by water with only one guard gated access road. In a year or two when we move north it’ll most likely be a less secure location, then I’ll investigate options. But I’m leaning toward outdoor cams I can connect via POE with local nvr.

1 Like

Agreed, it does seem like Wyze has dropped NAS altogether. All these new items snd not a peep about NAS. When I started with Wyze one of the reasons I went with them is that “On the horizon , or just around the corner” NAS was going to come out.
I guess NAS is harder that detection.

2 Likes

It would be nice if you could just point the cameras to a NAS or a PC that you might already have on the network. I already have a NAS I don’t need another. But if you could program the cameras to use something you already have on hand that would be awesome!

1 Like

I’d like to reiterate the strong desire for DVR capability WITHOUT RTSP firmware.
Most other security cameras have ONVIF capability. It would be nice if the v2 or v3 would just have this by default without having to flash new firmware to it.
I could get a nice DVR anywhere that can record up to 32 ONVIF streams. That would solve SO MANY problems.
This is ESPECIALLY true for the outdoor cameras.
Please Wyze. Please.

1 Like

I’m not convinced Wyze has any interest in this any more.
Back when they were “researching” it they had intentions of selling us a new hardware product.
Now they are trying to sell Cam Plus server storage. It would seem counter-intuitive for them to put time / money into something that has little return for them, other than happy customers.

2 Likes

I do see your point. I view Cam Plus as an AI-driven person detection system which gives it value to me. I am decidedly displeased that it won’t work on the outdoor cam - the very place I want it. Maybe that will change with the v3 cam.
I’ve been impressed with the array of innovation I see from Wyze. I buy almost everything they make. OK, I’m a gadget hound, I’ll own that (ha!).
Meanwhile, I depend heavily on my ONVIF surveillance DVR. Would love to include the Wyze cams on that.

What I have NOT liked from Wyze is how difficult they make it to reach them. That’s been an enormous negative.

What a great opportunity for them, especially now, to hire live human beings to form a help desk network. People can work from home and customers can reach live humans, but I digress. I find AI-driven “chatbots” and AI-tech support bots that pretend to be human operators to be evil. And I mean Dark Lord of the SIth evil. Just my personal opinion. I hope the Wyze product managers read these forums.

2 Likes

I agree. If they intend to get into the home security business they have to get humans to answer the phone.

3 Likes

Saddly, I couldn’t agree with you more. The price point for the Wyze “system” skewed my judgement. I know and have always known never to buy with a promise of tomorrow but I did. But price and promises got me.
Yes it dies appear Wyze dropped NAS. Saddly they just aren’t seeing the entire system. They could easily have a “software” that the user could put on their own NAS and the “system software” would need to reissued every year.
Now would I pay lets say 60 a year? If the system did everything a local system should, local storage, faster response, faster notifications, better overall system performance, less compression of video…
Yes and even 120 a year. But it would be for a system with a lot of devices before price and even multiple locations

1 Like

I think Wyze has a great formula for an inexpensive to produce product, low margins and high volume as a model. It is for that very reason that I buy so much from them. I will be buying more very shortly, too.

So I think they could easily add ONVIF compatibility … it’s a matter of software and the v3 has better hardware.

Meanwhile, I will continue to echo that first-class customer service is everything. This is one of the key reasons WordPerfect blew away WordStar in the day. They lost market share because they ignored the industry trends (read: Windows), but I digress (and showing my age).

At any rate… there is no substitute for real live humans. You’ll employ humans and will be rewarded with a very smart workforce and that will make for better innovation. This is also a great way to learn first hand what customers want.

It doesn’t matter what industry it is… AI has its uses, to be sure, but there is never any substitute for humans when it comes to customer-facing positions, particularly support. A bad support experience can cost customers and when you consider the cost of customer acquisition, that’s very expensive.

Put humans on it, pay them well, treat them well and you will get people who will respresent you well to your customers who will become very loyal. That’s a great business model.

Anyway… my rant is done.

2 Likes

Are you ever. :slightly_smiling_face:
I barely remember WordStar and I’m in no way young.

3 Likes

Ah, I miss WordPerfect and Reveal Codes (Shift F4)! Word Star with dot “.” Commands was cool too! Remember the monster function key overlay templates?

1 Like

That must make me ancient LOL. To be fair, I used to repair systems that used a Rockwell PPS-4 processor. Yes, that’s a 4-bit microprocessor. OMG back in the days of 80-column punch cards.

Wordstar was THE word processor in the CP/M days. It gained traction on the PC but WordPerfect stole the show. Its main appeal was yes, the reveal codes, but their world-class technical support. In an age where it was virtually impossible ever to reach the people at a software company, WordPerfect - then known as Satellite Software International - set up a fantastic support desk .

The Reveal Codes was so popular, it became a feature in their Perfect Editor (you could do hex editing on files) that was part of their WordPefect Library … and later their “yet another DOS shell” WordPerfect Office application which turned into a document library (at least that was the original intent in 1988). It was launched in August 1988. 8/8/88.

What made it so special was its “other” function - e-mail. This later became the focus of the product after it became GroupWise when Novell bought WordPerfect in 1994.

Ah… Amnesia Lane…

Fun fact, GroupWise is now called MicroFocus GroupWise and it’s on version 18. Really cool product.

1 Like