Network Attached Storage (NAS)

Cam Plus for the outdoor camera is coming and is in beta. The v3 should be cam plus compatible as well. Really any future camera type product that they release I imagine would be cam plus compatible.

I sure remember CP/M and definitely 80 Column punch cards. “Air shuffling” a deck was always an adventure! Job cards and JCL were essential skills. I wrote my first programs in assembler on a System 360 which was brand spanking new at the time. Followed shortly by COBOL! Even had a pocket protector and flow charting template since we had to “desk test” all code first.

1 Like

We’re derailing this topic but I don’t think it’s going anywhere anyway. :blush:

My computer career started with 8088 processors and Basic programming with two 5-1/4" floppy discs that were actually floppy. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

True! But also I agree!

Any Update on this Gwen?
top 8 most votes & always a lot of traffic on this.
Today I went to access my cameras & I guess your servers were down or something, despite connecting to wireless data or wifi, my device list was empty which is rather disconcerting, After about 30 minutes of closing the app, restarting my phone, connecting to someone elses wifi, and then finally just waiting & refreshing every 5 minutes, the list showed up & I was able to access my cams again.
When the list showed empty, I opened the app for my DVR & checked my other cameras that record to a DVR & everything was fine,
If it were not for that system, I would have suspected the worst.
I was about to buy of couple of the new v3 wyze cams, but I will wait on getting any more wyze products until I can access them directly or at least use a remote accessible DVR or NAS.
Not to mention the ability to function without internet upto the point of camera theft.
Burglars know all the have to do is cut the internet & take the cameras, then there is nothing left.
This makes all web cams only as good as the internet connection, where as burglars also know that other cameras, the none wyze, ring, etc. record back to a dvr, as well as send images to devices, so until you are on that level, its only nice as a remote camera that usually easy to check in on.

Omg, nostalgia lane! In eng’g college we had the punch cards and did our programs in FORTRAN. Think it was an IBM 3600 - could only see through a window. Had to hand card stack to the operator. Big pain if you tripped and dropped them! When school upgraded to a DEC PDP 10, or 11 with the paper tape, we thought we landed in heaven.

Anyway, if I ever need any security monitoring for more than just a convenience, I’m more than likely going to leave wyze and move to a local nvr based system with poe cams or setup up cams to my own NAS. I won’t go with any subscription if I can avoid it. Plus beta testing has made me aware of wyze’s penchant for pushing out products way before they are ready, cutting corners on hardware to save a few $$ relying on cloud computing or SaaS, and then there is the sensor bricking issue that seems to be persisting, highly requested and desired features are ignored, etc. wyze has their mind set to build a subscription model like others and essentially generate products that can only be fully functional by hacking, or a limited selection of 3rd party apps. It’s an ok product of certain situations but it’s not security monitoring level that I’d ever trust if we didn’t live in a gated community.

1 Like

I just went and bought a bunch of sd cards, but I must admit it’s be nice if there was a simple software product you could run on a PC on your network and solicit the constant uploads. Even better if it something stupid simple (like posts to a generic web server you can run on a desktop).

People… people… please! Wyze is already offering “CamPlus” as a subscription service for full time cloud storage of motion events. There is absolutely NO business model in the world where developing a competing feature for free (NAS) or in parallel to one you can reasonably charge a fee for, makes any sense whatsoever. The only way to dodge the SD card is RTSP or other similar hack.

1 Like

Having said that - RTSP to Milestone or Blue Iris servers are workable self-directed options. They don’t offer the convenience of the paid Wyze service, but they work if you are sufficiently motivated.

NAS has advantages beyond business. You can easily set up a micro server on a NAS, charge a fee and have so much better performance.
Cloud is intermittent at best and in some areas a lot worst than others. Having a NAS, can do so much independently of AWS and the internet. A small UPS could keep a NAS, and cameras up for days.
And as Wyze can send small packets to verify all good.
I only wish WYZE would stop and tell us honestly if they scrapped the NAS. I am not talking updating firmware to a limited capabilities.
The Reason Wyze did appeal to many was the honest prospect at the time of a NAS option. The non monthly reoccurring fees. Heck anyone can do that and many have and are currently doing that.
I was hoping Wyze didn’t sell out to the same old same old model.
If you want all this cloud and monitoring and monthly fees, ADT, Simply Safe… and now… Wyze

1 Like

Other camera manufacturers offer both a subscription model and NAS or RTSP support built in so they are certainly not mutually exclusive. Some, like Wyze and Ring choose only the subscription model but others offer both.

2 Likes

Agree. For now I just have 1 cam watching our front entry for deliveries since it was originally offered with person detection and I figured it was a low cost option for our low priority need, rather than paying for an expensive doorbell cam and a monthly fee to get notified of a few deliveries per month at most. I’ve come to realize that if our needs were any more than this, wyze is not going to cut it. Cloud based services for a fee were not on my radar since it’s just not worth it here with a single guard gated entry road. But using the wyze cam with buggy behavior, often unreliable detections, and feeling like I’m a victim of bait and switch has not endeared me to consider them if we move to a less secure community. Other options are available and by the time we move, I’m sure more will be coming out. I’m more than willing to pay more for a system I could operate without relying on cloud services.

1 Like

Take a look at Eufy, they have a subscription free Doorbell that I find very useful. I scrapped my Ring doorbell in favor of it.

4 Likes

Actually been beta testing a wyze product when I saw a mention of eufy so been looking over their lineup. Costs more upfront but it seems to have features I think I’d prefer. But for now with current house, security isn’t an issue.

I think Wyze has a great product also but theirs is not as useful without a subscription. And I am a cake and eat too kinda user. :wink:

1 Like

I have lost hope in wyze as they rolled out wyze doorbell with sdcard and rtsp. After checking the features, I never bothered ordering. I went ahead and bought amcrest with those features and linked it to my synology. And because I want to be able to run all my security from one app, I am replacing all my 5 wyze cams with 50dollar amcrest poe camera so that I will have a better wired experience and connectivity. I would have stick to wyze but they keep disappointing us all. How could they product new wyze cam v3 without a native rtsp at least including onvif that majority of manufacturers incorporates in their cameras so easy. If those has been included, then wyze could be use professionally. More so, wyze will make more profit if they manufacture microusb to Ethernet adapter for their cameras incase one want to power them via poe. That way, they don’t have to produce new camera.

2 Likes

I just do not understand Wyze’s thought. A NAS with whatever software they install could bring the system to a completely new level just because of the responce without going to the web never mind everything else it brings to the table.

I think it’s a matter of constrained resources and competing priorities more than anything. Wyze for all of its flaws has consistently added value and features to its products. I would not be surprised to see NAS show up where it makes sense in the future.

Oh I hope you are correct. Oh how I do. Don’t get me wrong, nobody beats Wyze at price point and many times higher.
Yes I understand somethings they have done I haven’t liked but over all, great.
I just can’t keep building a system without a NAS as a foundation. And that stinks.
I so want the doorbell and thermostats, 3 in my case but have slowed down on buying more products. Never mind the V3.
I own a lot of Wyze products. A lot. But I have to slowdown in part to this one issue, NAS.
In my home, one app for everything, non techies in my home and Wyze filled the bill nicely. Despite all, the app works for my non techies. And when she is happy we all are.
She even understands the hybrid system of stand alone / web connected. Wish Wyze did. I can not see it being do difficult. Heck they could just do a software and state the dress a NAS drive would need, load their software and done.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t bother supporting Synology. While I have one, the licenses per camera are like $50 each. that’s if the integration uses rtsp. what would be better is just writing files to a file share.

1 Like