AWS Outage Impacting Multiple Wyze Services - 12/15/21

Those remain pretty stubborn. If you flip the breaker, I believe it will come back. Mind giving that a try for me? It’s part of the copy for the update going out as soon as we get final verification from the teams.

Please make it so I can run Wyze devices on my local area network. Between AWS going down and internet outages I frequently can’t use my dozens of Wyze products.

At the very least please add backup servers. Local is really needed though.

3 Likes

12/16/21 3:35 AM PT - Thank you for your patience! At this point, the majority of Wyze devices have reconnected. We see that some have not successfully connected with the cloud since the initial outage and these devices may need a bit of help. If your device still isn’t connecting, please first try power cycling the device (removing the power or turning it off and then turning it back on). If that doesn’t work, you may want to try factory resetting the device to restore connection. A factory reset will require you to set up the device again. If that doesn’t work, please contact Wyze Customer Support.

If you are unsure of how to power cycle or reset your affected device, please check our support articles. We see that Wyze Video Doorbell has had a lower reconnect rate than other Wyze devices. Here is a troubleshooting article with instructions for rebooting and resetting this product. Please note that you can power cycle Wyze Video Doorbell by flipping the breaker and that you do not need to disconnect wires.

4 Likes

Alright, folks. I think my brain may be melting a little bit. Time for me to get some sleep before the birds start telling me good morning. I’ll check back when I wake up! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Good Night Gwendolyn!
Thanks for all the help!

1 Like

Thank you for everything @UserCustomerGwen

1 Like

Okay, now that everything is back on, I hate to kick it while it’s down…

I’ve had a camera since day one when the initial release was delayed for quite some time but I hung in to see what it was all about. I now have 28 devices. Changing to a different brand is not likely because up until these two major outages everything has worked well (the original outdoor camera is a little flaky) but, I would pay for a bridge or something to allow me to operate the bulbs and plugs in an outage.

Bulbs are on switches and can be cycled on and off, plugs are behind furniture or on a shelf hidden away and are difficult to cycle on and off, although an occasional cycle is not a problem but this has been two major outages in a week or so.

First world problems and with everything else going on in the world this seems trivial but I have been behind your company since day one, recommend your devices to everyone, and have purchased a bunch as gifts. I would love to continue doing that.

Thanks for working through the night to get this going but maybe move some of those eggs into other baskets if that’s possible.

1 Like

Unfortunately my one Wyze Plug would never recover.
I deleted all the rules for it and removed it from the App.
I then had to Factory Reset it.
After I did that, it connected up fine, and I converted rules to “Time of Day” schedules.
Hopefully these “Time of Day” schedules are not affected by AWS failures like the rules are.
I am glad the plug was not behind a bookshelf or in a crawlspace.
Good news is the exterior plug I ordered on 12/5 from Amazon has not even shipped yet, so it was not affected. I bought a 4-pack of the interior plugs, and the other 3 are not in use yet (thank goodness).

1 Like

Well deserved rest! Thanks for pulling an all-nighter and keeping us updated!!!

1 Like

The outage and reconnect issues suck. I have bulbs and plugs all over the place and half of them don’t work. And in an hour I need to leave for the week’s worth of chemo in the hospital and my wife is going to be pissed off the entire time because some of the lights and bulbs don’t work.

Expecting some of us to factory reset and reconfigure a dozen devices is absolutely bonkers. Are you guys serious? Many of us have already spent significant amount of time during the initial configuration and incorporating with Alexa and IFTTT. Is Wyze going to compensate us to go through all that all over again? I’m seriously pissed.

1 Like

I just wanted to say that you guys are doing a great job in your response to this issue. All of my stuff is back up this morning. I can’t imagine the frustration when something like AWS goes down. Its not a fun scenario but it happens and you did a great job of working with amazon to get it back up. I appreciate that and also the regular updates to let us know what is happening. As a customer, I can only see the results of the amount of hard work it takes behind the scenes to keep things running smooth. I’ve had nothing but a great experience with Wyze products so I know you ARE working hard every day. Thanks again!!

2 Likes

You still have a dozen devices that are offline? I’m completely understand your frustration. I know that is less than ideal.

Of my 70+ devices, only 3 bulbs were offline this morning at 5:30 CST. And that is only because I turned off the power at the light switches. Once I restored power, they connected back up. And due to high winds, we had a power outage sometime after I went to bed.

Problems still having this morning;

Power & Lighting

• Plugs - setup 50/50 chance of completing or stalling out.
    - no response to power on/off request
    - show connected when unplugged
  • Plug Outdoor - no response to power on/off request
    - show connected when unplugged
    - shows unconnected when plugged in
    - will allow manual turn on from app only to turn off by itself seconds later

7:11am CST - Austin

1 Like

I’ve learned when multiple devices flake out…DO NOT touch a thing and check this forum. By not touching any of my devices, everything self healed with enough time. Had I reset devices, made changes to my network, etc… I would have exacerbated the situation.

My three v3s, two v2s, one WYZE bridge, two contact sensors, one motion sensor, two color bulbs, two indoor plugs, and one outdoor plug are all working properly.

7 Likes

Everything seems to be back up but my robot vacuum. The robot vacuum has a serious design flaw that whenever the internet goes out or AWS outage, it will not come back online without a factory reset which is extremely annoying because I lose all my maps! Wyze robot vacuum needs to be improved so that it can come back online without a factory reset. Support also claims that there is no way to “power cycle” it for regaining connection either which is ridiculous. Come on Wyze, this needs to be improved.

1 Like

All my vacuums are still offline.

Fixed it! I forgot about just turning the breaker! Much thanks Gwen!!!

1 Like

All the”DRAMA” is over. 8AM EST. Everything’s back to normal. I’ve had power outages and cable outages last muuuccch longer.

1 Like

You did exactly the correct thing. And you were rewarded :+1:

1 Like