Wyze thermostat temperature overshoot

Appears the use of ‘rounding’ is part of the cause of overshoot (at least for half a degree). I would expect the thermostat to read 70 all the way to 70.9 degrees, and only go to 71 when it hits 71. Maybe I am missing something, but I think they should be truncating or rounding down.

If you have a gas furnace it is common for the fan to run after the burner is off to cool the heat exchanger. This can bring the temp up another degree maybe 1.5 degrees. I really expected Wyze to learn that hitting 70F means turning off the furnace at 69F so it would “coast” up to 70F. Instead, it seems to wait until 71F or 72F then turn off the furnace and then you coast up to 73F.

This is so obvious it makes me wonder if Wyze is starting to roll out products faster than they can test them. I have a couple of other pre-orders in the pipeline… I guess those will let me know.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly!!! I’m running a gas furnace, and Wyze should’ve known to turn it off a degree or two before reaching the set temperature, instead of after. You literally spelled it way better than me and I can’t thank you enough.

1 Like

I’m with you, My old school programmable was working fine, I just love Wyze stuff so I wanted to check it out but so far I’m pretty underwhelmed.

1 Like

Interestingly enough, I’ve been comparing active heat with the stats from my previous thermostat and it looks like they are averaging the same or nearly the same run time in similar weather so regardless of the overshoot it’s not actually resulting in more cost.

I’m also curious folks have coast to cool turned off or on. I found that when I had it active there was difficulty reaching the set point but when it was off it goes over. Makes me wonder if Wyze is treating the temp as a comfort range rather than two specific set points and accepts anything within that range as correct.

@Chuan any insight you can provide with this?

So I picked up a digital thermometer with Bluetooth time series tracking and placed it right next to my Wyze tstat.

1. Set point at 69 during day and 67 at night (except for a couple hours last night when I showed my wife how to manually control temp and she promptly changed to 71 :thinking:)
  2. Behavior on Better Comfort
  3. Not using Cool To

Observation. While Wyze tstat actual temp tends to display +/- 1 degree swings from 68 to 70 degrees (due to rounding up), the digital thermometer is consistently +/- 0.5 degree. So when @Chuan say temp differential is +- 1 degree F, I’m thinking that’s the deadband so +/- 0.5 degree from set point.

Pics below

1 Like

So…any updates from the Wyze team yet? Newer firmware? Or are we better off returning the thermostat?

3 Likes

I don’t expect we’ll see any updates for a few more weeks.

All thermostats that are currently in the market work the same with the same principle that has been in place for decades. All thermostats stop when they reach the desired temperature set by the user. This deal about overshooting by 2 degrees is just garbage. We are returning all 4 thermostats we purchased. Worst of all? WYZE has no support number, email, or anything else. I created a service ticket a week ago and never got an answer. My son created a support ticket with one of his cameras that went dead, and he has been waiting on a response since before Christmas. Switching to Nest.

I’ve returned my Wyze thermostat and bought a Honeywell T5 from Home Depot for $74, just $24 more than Wyze’s. Let me tell you, it’s a whole lot better. Temps do overshoot occasionally like 1-2 degrees but not as bad as Wyze’s 3-4 degrees. Sheesh, I was sweating during winter lol. Since switching to Honeywell, there’s none of that sudden blow of full force hot air which causes more fuel to burn, meaning higher gas rates. YIKES. Happy with my T5, simple and it has wifi

1 Like

Thank you for the info!

Which one?

Bought this like 3 weeks ago from Home Depot, so I’m not sure if the price is still at $74.

Both black colored ones on the left.

Thank you! On my way to go buy one. :grinning:

Actually, I have found Wyze’s customer service to be quite good. I have emailed them for problems I was having with my V3 cameras, and my Wyze scale, and they responded usually in two to three days.

That being said, I did also email them about the thermostat overshoot issue and never received a response.

Yup that’s what I noticed. Whenever others send an email to customer service regarding the thermostat, no response at all. I’m guessing Wyze does know their thermostat has an issue but they’re not willing to admit it.

1 Like

I eventually got a reply from them that was a canned response saying I needed to hire someone to do the install since Wyze doesn’t do installs. I replied letting them know the install was fine, it is the thermostat with a problem and they only offered an RMA.

I believe we are seeing a decline in Wyze products. The vacuum had a critical bug that would brick the device if not updated (Y2K anyone…). I really think their success may be their demise. I have stopped preordering until I am comfortable they can release products that work. I expect the pre-order products to be functional but maybe lacking features that will come later through code updates.

I received the exact same email saying my install is incorrect, and I should contact their tech support for proper installation steps. Big LOL!!! There was never an issue with the install, even Wyze’s test for hot and cold air works. It irks me when us Wyze customers addresses that the issue is the thermostat or firmware itself. Yet, Wyze just turns a blind eye and say nothing bout this. They’re trying so hard to reinvent the wheel when the technology of a simple thermostat hasn’t changed much, albeit for geofencing, smart home connectivity etc. Idk what’s going on, but whenever Wyze introduces a new affordable product when compared to their competitors, I’ll just wait.

Like everyone else i have this same issue. My heat is overshooting by 5 sometimes. So frustrating. I have loved all my Wyze products and have many but im not happy with this thermostat at all. It may have saved me a few bucks upfront but my electric bills are going to be much higher. I’ll lose that savings easy in the first month. Its disappointing that wyze hasnt addressed this issue after all these comments starting 2 years ago. Its obviously not a wiring/install issue amd is an issue with the product. I’ve been promoting wyze to everyone i come across. Friends, family and everyone I talk to while working at the airport. I hope none of them bought this product because i led them wrong. Frustrating.

after an year of use i gave up on wyze thermostat. there are deals for honeywell wifi learning thermostat with my Electricity company rebates it comes cheaper than wyze. And no issues with overshoot/undershoot