Wyze thermostat temperature overshoot

Hey everyone, I turned mine to max comfort and it behaves a lot more like a dumb thermostat now

:rofl: … not sure why that made me laugh

1 Like

Not dumb enough for my tastes! :smiley: It still pumps heat for too long so the bedrooms get sweltering at night! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Agreed, they need to have a timer that if it’s at x temp, wait 2 or 3 mins before turning on since these things are so sensitive

In “advanced settings” you can setup “fan settings” to minimum time it will run per hour. Longer times means it’s more energy efficient and savings. Mine is set to 20 min per hour minimum.

I also turned on the option “coast to cool”, also in advanced settings, it’s probably a hood idea to do that, not only for the savings but I think it would not overshoot the temperature!

I have had issues with Coast to Cool and currently leave it off. What I’ve been seeing happen is it will work with heat as well as AC. With heat, it shuts off the heat a few minutes early but then doesn’t have enough warm air in the system to reach the set point so kicks in the furnace again.

@Chuan Would you have any information on the choice of hysteresis and whether a “tighter loop” is in the foreseeable future? If the Wyze thermometer, as I experience now, has at minimum a five to six degree difference between turning heat on and off, it will not be useful for me because it’s just too uncomfortable :slight_smile:

Set it to max comfort, it settled mine down a lot

It makes virtually no difference here, it’s set to 70 and 72 at night, but I see temperatures between 68 before it turns on and up to 75 after it turns off.

1 Like

I have the exact same issue. 2 thermostats. The OEM thermostats did not do this. A bit disappointing.

1 Like

I’m also having the issue of the thermostat overshooting the set temperature in heat mode. It’s really not working well.
Also, anyone else notice that as soon as the heater kicks on, the current temperature displayed in the app drops by 2-3 degrees? For example, say I set my thermostat to 68 degrees, when the displayed temperature goes to 67 the thermostat calls for heat. As soon as the heater kicks on and there is airflow, the temperature displayed will show that the temperature is like 64 or 65(or some other value other than 67 that is showed previously) and is heating to 68 degrees in x minutes?

I have seen the temperature drop as well when the heater (finally!) turns on. So on top of that it already is one degree under what I have set it to, the temperature is actually dropping below that. My thermostat is not near a vent, so it really seems to be some cold(er) air that is apparently present and that gets moved around by the heater’s fan turning on.

I just wanted to add my voice to the discussion. I too am seeing temperature drops of 2 degrees below the set temperature before my furnace cycles and often 1 to 2 degrees beyond the set temperature before it turns off. I’ve tried changing the comfort settings and tried different temperature settings to no avail. I did email support about the issue but have yet to hear back after a few days now.

As far as we can tell, behavior is only adjusting the temperature preferences right now. Differential Temp, which controls the temp difference before the system is activate, is currently hidden from the app while they sort out some bugs with changing it. In the mean time it appears the default is 2-3 degrees below your set point.

I’m unsure if this difference also applies to how far above the set point it will go as well. It’s also possible the overshoot IS the bug they are sorting out with it.

I’m glad you got a response. I have 4 or 5 tickets and haven’t heard anything back.

my suggestion is all the folks open a support ticket and feedback from App and point to this forum link. That will help get this up in priority list. I have done the same

Some problem here… Overshoots heat substantially on a regular basis. I am using max comfort but it doesn’t really help. This is either a pretty big miss in QA or Wyze failed to set proper expectations. I have two and have not installed the one of them until I decide if this is getting fixed.

So, I’m curious. I’m also seeing overshoots where the thermostat reads about 2 degrees over my set point some times. Usually when I ask for the temp on the thermostat I get a decimal reading that’s more like 1.5 degrees off in those cases.

Also interesting, my system is currently on, heating to 71 degrees. The display also says that the temp in the hall is 71 degrees, but when I ask for the temp reading I’m told the temp is 70.6 degrees.

Is anyone else checking the temp reading or just going by what the display says?

I will be returning mine before January 31st (they extended their return time) if Wyze hasn’t found a solution or update their firmware. Overshoot 3-5 degrees and room gets darn hot at night, and I noticed my furnace pumps out hot air at its max. Literally can hear it. Meaning my gas consumption for this month is up. It ain’t smart enough against my dumb thermostat

if they dont fix by return peroid, i am returning too. The only reason why i bought is because of wyze ecosystem and phone control on temp. But i have SMUD which sells honeywell wifi thermostat on discount for $50 which does the same job. Wyze theromostat doesn’t have leaning like nest anyway