Wyze Thermostat Firmware 1.1.2 Released! - 3/10/21

If you have forced air heat (gas or oil fired), generally the way you would know, and the reason for all the complaints is because your heat would blow cold air for a period of time before the burner ignites and heats the air. The problem of course doesn’t effect hot water baseboard heat, electric baseboard, etc.

Yes, mine is natural gas furnace and yes it does come cool air first and that is normal.
Going back to fan only mode, my old thermostat wit a bimetallic coil to know the temperature had a sw that goes to cool, fan and heat and it was working normally.

I see. In addition to the photo I showed earlier of the fan control in the app, it can also be done on the thermostat itself. There isn’t a switch like your old bimetallic, but if you press the dial to bring up the functions on the thermostat display, you can then turn the dial one click at a time until you see the fan control. Once there, press the dial again to select and you can then turn the dial to select Auto, Cycle, or on, click when you get the one you want.

For the cold air thing, “Normal” depends on your furnace and how it was designed. Many furnaces delay turning the fan on until after it has ignited and warmed up so that there isn’t a blast of cold air coming out of the vents. Once the heat exchanger reaches a preset temperature, the furnace would then start the fan. Wyze sending a fan signal with or prior to the heat call was causing people to get cold air initially when they didn’t have that with their old thermostats.

Different types and brands of furnaces behave differently. My furnace for example also runs a short fan cycle after it shuts down to purge residual heat. So when my furnace finishes the heating cycle and shuts off, about 20 or 30 seconds later, the furnace turns just the fan on for maybe 15 seconds to purge heat in the exchanger.

I was able to update after a couple tries, but didn’t know I would have to calabtare it.

Mine is working but still don’t have the fan mode, neither on the app (phone) not in the thermostat control itself.
How can a “smart” thermostat can not even turn the fan by itself?
I have to use the wire attached stuff they sent me in order to make it work but in the connection part at the thermostat, I have to guess what wires should I say to the app that I got ( the app never mentioned color code wires) then at the first try, the app asked me to disconnect the green wire. I almost sure disconnecting that wire is the key why I can’t control the fan by itself.
Wyze could have done much better having check how many types of air-conditioning manufacturer we use here and probably check the southern states, west coast and northern states air conditioner styles.
I bet there is a color code for wire installation that all use.
I’m disappointed at this product and will give them an F+

Does that blue C wire in your photo go up to your thermostat, even if it wasn’t previously used? If so, there was no need to use the C wire adapter and disconnect your G wire. In some folks homes, the extra wires at the thermostat end that weren’t needed at the time were cut off or wrapped around the cable, sometimes right inside the wall. If so, pulling the cable out of the wall a little and/or stripping back the insulation may reveal the blue C wire.

You may be correct about the reason you don’t have the fan control, but I can assure you, if everything is hooked up correctly and the correct type of system is selected during set up, there is a fan control as previously shown, so yes, the smart thermostat does have it.

The C wire adapter was added after the initial connections didn’t work. After installing it it worked fine just missing the fan only control.
It was a surprise that the app said that I have an extra wire and I should disconnect it the green wire.

15 second delay trips all safety on electric coils of (heat pump)
heat pump 10KW and below don’t have separate wire for electric coil…

Update crashed, got the thermostat back but without the update…at least it’s working.

Wyze can’t really call colors because, while there is a standard, not all installations follow that standard, and not all repairman (professionals or DIY people) use the right colors. That means that the colors can’t 100% guarantee that you are connecting it right. But both on the thermostat and on the furnace side the letters are always correct.

Are you using the C-adapter or not? I see the white wires from the C-adapter come close to the terminals on, but only the Y seems connected. I also see a blue wire connected to the C terminal. If that goes all the way to the thermostat you should not need the C-adapter.

I see Y, G, W, R and C connected at this side. If all those wires reach to the thermostat, you should be able to tell the App you have Rc, G, W, Y and C, and you should have fan control that way as well (although from what I understand, if you have the C-adapter connected correctly, the Thermostat may be able to work around the missing G wire).

If you have pictures showing the old thermostat connections and the new one, that might help as well.

Here we are on the 23rd, no update still or communication about when to expect it now

They will let everyone know as soon as the problem has been resolved

1 Like

Thanks for your patience! Now that the 2.18+ app update is going out, this firmware is being opened again. Please update your app when that becomes available for you before trying to download the thermostat firmware.

1 Like

Had the same issue but then I went back to Home page on the app, Account, Firmware Update, and did a batch update for all my Wyze devices. All devices are up to date now, including cams, scale, vacuum, lights, and thermostat. Thermostat now shows 1.1.2

I have the updated app. New install of thermostat. I’ve reinstall the thermostat twice. Tried clearing cache. Nothing let’s me update the firmware to this device. It always fails update from 1.0.0 to 1.1.6 get the “oops something went wrong” screen every time. Seems this product was released way before it was ready. I guess maybe it works with apple devices. Wyze you can send me an iPad if you engineers are so inept they can’t get the android software right.

thermostat firmware is updated to 1.1.6

The furnace fan starts immediately after turning up my heat, no 15 second delay between fan and heating. Why??? Is there a plan to allow the furnace to turn the fan on versus the thermostat?

Reset your thermostat, remove it and re add it to the app and tell it you have a radiator on W1 during setup to fix this. This makes the wyze behave like every single other thermostat on the market does when you tell it you have a fossil fuel heat source. For some reason wyze decided not to do this automatically when you select a fossil fuel heat source, but setting it up as a radiator fixes this oversight.

I deleted my furnace from the app and tried to reinstall it to the app. I go through the install I don’t see where it asks for radiator. When I go through setup and reattach the thermostat the Wyze logo does not show, I have the this showing on the thermostat…

I try to pair the thermostat to my phone and it does not find my thermostat? What am I doing wrong?

Missed resetting the thermostat I did that and everything works great! Thanks!

Now I noticed I don’t have the ability to use the furnace fan when not using the furnace or a/c. One of the primary reasons for buying this thermostat with a 4 wire setup was having the ability to use the furnace furnace fan on its own.