Wyze Thermostat Firmware 1.1.2 Released! - 3/10/21

I’m having the same issue, BUT it is attempting to upgrade to 1.1.5.b1.

app version: 2.18.18

Just turned off the BETA test option for T-stat, now trying 1.1.2, still no dice.

2 Likes

Like most people on this thread, I am unable to update to 1.1.2 from 1.1.1 (Oops Sorry!)
Tried emptying cache, restarting, etc.
Is there a fix coming or at least some advice on what to do?

Android 11, Wyze v2.18.18

1 Like

An official response would be nice!

2 Likes

Adding a 15-second delay between fan and heating is not an improvement! The problem, as pointed out by many folks elsewhere on this forum, is that the thermostat should not turn on the fan when calling for heat from a gas furnace. The furnace itself will control the fan, independent of the thermostat, and turn it on only when it is ready.

Prior to this update, the fan would come on and blow cool air for several second, then the furnace would shut it off as it was heating, and once the furnace was ready it would turn the fan back on.

Now, with the update, my fan comes on for only a second and is immediately shut off by the furnace. Apparently, the arbitrary choice of 15 seconds is not quite long enough for my furnace.

This short cycling is not good for a fan motor! It is going to shorten the life of many peoples’ motors. And when it does, I think they’ll have legitimate grounds for a law suit. This is a defective product, which could be easily fixed through firmware, but after months Wyze has yet to fix it.

Why not fix this correctly and not call for fan when calling for heat from a gas furnace? If you don’t know how to build a thermostat (and Wyze apparently doesn’t) then you shouldn’t build a thermostat.

3 Likes

Curious thing. I went to try the firmware upgrade again tonight and I found the thermostat already at 1.1.2. Perhaps the apps indication that it failed to initiate the upgrade last night was a bogus error. It looks like it may have performed the update anyway. Anyone else with the failed update error who can check and see what firmware you have now?

Mine is 1.1.2 and there is no longer a available update

Sorry I said mine was 1.1.2 and it is actually 1.1.1

1 Like

My thermostat is still 1.1.1 and at some point after 6:30PM Central Time, I lost the upgrade notification. I no longer have the option to initiate an upgrade, even from the “Device Info” screen. Something got pulled, but notification would be nice

1 Like

I’m guessing they retracted the firmware after so many complaints… I’m also guessing my thermostat tried to update itself as it still showed 1.1.1 but my app saw it as offline even though it was still online with Wi-Fi so I unplugged it and plugged it back in came back up and now shows in my app is online and yet does not show the update anymore and says that it is up to date

3 Likes

My thermostat doesn’t have a way to turn on/off the fan only, with the old thermostat, I could turn the fan only.
Why does it that this smart thermostat doesn’t have that option?
Also, there wasn’t a way to just change the Wifi password only, for what ever reason you need to change your WiFi password, to have to start the thermostat installation steps all over again!!!

1 Like

There is a fan option (as long as you have the G wire hooked up). For example, in the app, if you click on “Controls” You should see fan options which are Auto, Cycle, and On. Also, under advance in settings, there is a fan cycle control where you can set the fan to run a predetermined time every hour in increments of 5 minute. I have a wood pellet stove so I have Wyze turn on my furnace fan 5 or 10 minutes every hour to help move the heat from the wood stove around.

1 Like

If you tap controls at the bottom of the screen for the thermostat, you should be able ot see the fan option.

1 Like

@UserCustomerGwen any information as to what’s going on? Lot of customers in the dark

Hi, everyone!

Sorry for my delay. I’ve been informed that we are removing the ability to update to 1.1.2 because of a bug that prevented Android devices from updating Wyze Thermostat to this firmware. We’ll make it available again when we have fixed the Android issue.

We apologize for the inconvenience!

2 Likes

There is not a fan mode,
After I was able to recover from the WiFi replacement, and the last software update, now it shows the cloud with a slash over.
Instead of calling wire with names, why just don’t call it for it’s colors? That is the biggest issue to try to DY connection.
I have to guess what wires you call in the connection part of the setting.
The most difficult part and totally unnecessary.

Not sure why you aren’t able to see it, but there is a fan mode. I have attached a picture showing mine. The reason they use names (or actually letters) such as R, W1, G, R1, etc is because that’s the industry standard and how they are usually labeled on the control board. In my case for example, I don’t have a control board and mine are lettered on the back of a multiterminal transformer. Not everyone has colors that match the letters, so the letters and names are used.

2 Likes

Please read the post by “dead homer” he is absolutely correct, hvac engineers will tell you that the “G” terminal should not be energized during a call for heat when applied to a gas furnace.
Also this can be harmful to equipment as it can cause two speeds to be energized at once.
Hope you get this,
bigfindeal (HVAC engineer).

2 Likes

Mine control board has colors codes and wires are connected accordingly.
How wyze never see to mention these type of air conditioner?
My subdivision has over 300 houses, all same builder a d seem many more subdivisions with exactly same houses that probably builder by the same builder and most likely has the same type of air conditioner system. There got to be thousand of homes built the same way in those years. So no mentioning color code wires to the thermostat is dangerous and wyze should fix this issue.

And how T/H I will know if the “g” wire has power during heat???

Agreed @bigfindeal

This thread has some other experienced hvac guys that give testimony to this as well. That I hope Wyze will in fact, take advice from.