Wyze outdoor cam - detection zone setting

Can you post a picture of your detection setting page with the green overlay on your camera’s view?

1 Like

Kjay - have a question about the green overlay. I understand that this is the actual PIR location. With that said, does the distance in the setting corresponds to that and the sensitivity to the non highlighted area, Vice Versa or what. I am trying to figure out what the Sensitivity controls versus the Distance.

Also - is it possible to turn off the PIR, not that I would, and simply use the camera similarly to the V2 Cam.

thanks

1 Like

I’m not sure if you can fully turn off the PIR. You can turn off event recording but the PIR might still be waking the camera and the camera just chooses to not record an event.

I’m not sure what you mean by “use it like a V2”

In terms of the distance this MAY NOT BE 100% ACCURATE but from my understanding you can think of the green area as multiple overlapping boxes that become “higher” the higher the distance is set at (see attached image. I speculate that distance 0 would be everything up to green mark, distance 100 everything up to black mark) . The green detection area is more like an estimation of the area that should be detected based on the camera being mounted at the suggested hight, angled down at the suggested angle. Like if you angled the camera up and there was sky in your cameras view, you might be able to see a plane fly through the green zone thousands of feet away but your probably not going to get an event.
Screenshot_20200803-160940_Wyze~3

2 Likes

In my case, I want the bottom 2/3s but when I rotate the image 180 degrees, it sets the top 2/3s and does not allow me to change that. Is there a fix or workaround for that?

There is metal plate in the top of the camera. Your camera is upside down right now. Physically flip it and attach the top of the camera to the magnetic stand and do not rotate the image in the app.

1 Like

Thanks – What I meant about the V2 is that it does not have PIR and I can set it to alert on any motion or have it go through the algorithm to determine if it is a person. So I was wondering if the Distance was more related to the PIR and the Sensitivity was more related to motion anywhere, inside and outside of the green.

If you notice in your image, thanks for the markings as I saw that on mine and was wondering, I get alerted even if a person is spotted in the non-green area above your black line. Was curios if that was because I set the intensity to 100.

I basically want to make sure I am using the entire frame for motion detection.

You can see my green area and I am set to 100 on both settings. You can see the different locations as you showed, However, the solid green line does not extend to the last lightest green shading:

Probably a stupid question here… :slight_smile: looks like your camera may be mounted with the Magnet on the top requiring you to flip it 180 degrees. Is it possible to simply switch the mounting bracket so that the magnet is on the bottom and then don’t flip the image 180 degrees. that should provide the green area in the bottom 2/3 as you are indicating you would like. I provided an image of mine mounted and what the green area looks like.

Like I said, may be a stupid question, but might be as simple as reversing the mount.

I think distance only affects the PIR and the waking of the camera. Sensitivity affects everything once the camera is awake and uses pixel comparison (even the non green area).

The solid green line does not move if you change your settings it’s more of a reference point I think.

You might be getting stuff detected slightly outside the detection zone since its a 2D reference superimposed on a 3D world. That’s what I think at least. My camera looks higher up and angled more down than yours. My detection zone is more like the area under the green marking eventhough mine is set to 100 distance. If your getting a lot of unwanted stuff being detected outside the green area dial down the distance a bit.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback/info. Yea, yours does look higher. I did provide pictures of where mine is mounted. It is over my door to the house and angled down. I would say around 7ft. I did see a post my WyzeLi who stated that you don’t want to exceed and angle of 30 degrees, I am not sure why. I am getting alerts, so that is a good thing. :slight_smile:

However, we are early access individuals and things will be changing over time. WyzeLi also stated that, and I quote “Adjusting the duration of the video is something we’re working on. Coming soon”. This is great for me as I want more than 12 second recordings.

1 Like

Based on your description, I recommend you try with a smaller downward angle like 5 degree or even horizontally for a better detection range. If you don’t mind, please share with your WCO setup and a livestream photo and we can help you troubleshoot.

It’s pretty hard to say because it all depends on how big the heat source is. The setting in the app is primarily based on testings when a person passing by. With that in mind, the estimate you gave is pretty close for people and vehicles.

One thing you can try if you’re using a ceiling mount is to remove the camera from the magnetic mounting base (not the base station but the base of the camera) and attach the base on TOP of the camera to get the desired coverage.

Wyzeli, here is an image I uploaded and as you can see it shows my entire porch. However, If someone walks into thte porch and moves towards the back wall, I don’t get alerted. If I were to raise or decrease the angle, then I will lose individuals when they are close to the door and potentially see the ceiling as well - Not ideal.

Does the Wyze Cam Outdoor utilize the entire frame to detect motion and the green area to detect heat / PIR? if so, I don’t believe it is working. If it doesn’t, is this something which can be added?

What would your recommendation be to get motion alerts for my entire porch as shown in the picture.

Thank you kjay for the reply. I’m not using the magnetic stand, while convenient for some things, it also makes things easier to thieves. In any case, I learned that is not a bad thing that the detection zone is up there, that way the recording begins on time to capture the person/movement when they reach the critical area. In any case, I believe that users should be able to freely set the detection zone. Hopefully in a near future.

2 Likes

Thank you WizeLi

Interesting – had not thought about switching it to catch someone coming from further away – May be a benefit to inverting the camera. I may test that this weekend.

I’m a bit confused by the detections settings. I opened a ticket as I thought the camera is not working right. So the selection area is the lower 2/3 of the displayed video? Only sensitivity and distance? No wondered I couldn’t move the box like the other cameras to the area I wanted to focus on. I haven’t mounted it yet until I have tested it out so the attached shot is with the camera on a small stand!

IMG_0788

First let me say, you are correct in that you cannot move the green box or activity area as with other camera’s. I believe this is primarily because it is the PIR Region and that is the area you should ensure is in the area you want to monitor.

In order to get the recording and trigger area to be where I wanted is to set the Distance and sensitivity to 100. I also changed the cool down to 1 minute. Then I moved the camera so that the green area is where I wanted to monitor. After tweaking and playing, I am now getting motion alerts and recordings. Couple of things to note, which I have seen: 1. the alerts seem to come within 30 seconds. 2. the clips are only 12 seconds, However, I was told by @Wyzeli that Wyze is working on the ability to set the duration and it should be available soon.

@Wyzeli also indicated the following:

WyzeLi, I sent you a number of DMs over the last week with no response. Customer Support should be paramount, especially if you ask directly to provide some information, which I did.

Can you please provide a response to the DM so that I at least know you got them and what the plan is or will be going forward.

5 Likes

I’ve tried numerous settings and walked in front of the camera and no detection - ever…totally useless