Wyze outdoor cam - detection zone setting

I haven’t tried the upside down orientation personally. Maybe if you angled it down around 10 degrees more or so it might help a bit. When you try triggering the camera walk back and forth with you whole body above this line.

If you decide to bring it down for more tests, there is an led in the back of the camera. If it flashes blue you woke it up. If it flashes blue then turns solid blue it has woken up and successfully connected to the base and you should get an event.

I use quite a few trail cameras on a regular basis ranging from cheap to very expensive Leupold cameras and in the woods, moving vegetation like leaves and bushes do trigger PIR based cameras. Sometimes after a couple weeks when I check the cameras, I’ll have hundreds of false triggered pictures. Especially when sun is involved that heats the leaves and then the pir catches the moving objects that are warmer than the surrounding view. Even sun being hidden and unhidden through tree branches can look like heat motion to a PIR sensor. Of course the PIR sensor is miles better than pixel based, but outdoors they do get triggered when the aren’t supposed to

1 Like

I received My Outdoor Cam’s today. Eager to put one up and start replacing my Arlo. However, like what is mentioned in this forum, I am also experiencing a lag in notifications - seems to be upwards of a minute and I had to set the Distance to 100 and the Sensitivity to 100. I also set the Cool down to 1 minute to see if I can get notifications faster and more regular. So far - no luck. My V2’s are notifying faster, even with Person Detection on.

Anyone have any idea’s?

Here is my Settings:

1 Like

I just did a test after making the changes in my previous post and here is what I found: I was in my garage for the 12 seconds then left. at 20 seconds the V2 Cam alerted and at 43 seconds the Outdoor cam alerted. if you remove the 12 seconds in the garage it would have been 8 seconds for V2 and 31 seconds for Outdoor. This is a huge difference if you are using them as security Camera’s. Not sure when they should alert – I would have expected when Motion is sensed.

I was able to adjust per below and it started picking up motion and events, albeit closer due to settings. Tried 100/100 and no notifications. The notifications seem to come within 30 seconds. I am actually not sure what image sensitivity means.

Interesting - seems like you setting the distance lower, gives you alerts. I set mine to 100, in all fairness, I did remove it from the house and put on in the garage and the other in my living room. They both are alerting now. I will see about lowering the distance. What is confusing to me is the gren area does not fill the entire image - so my assumption is that those area’s will not be alerting.

I also get abot 30 second notification, from when motion stops, I think… :slight_smile:

I also have a motion sensor mounted to the ceiling of my porch to turn on the porch lights. I get notified from that almost immediately. Wish it would work that way. Guess I could have it trigger the camera to record.

*** UPDATE ***
I just did a test by attaching the motion sensor to the Outdoor Cam – the notification from the Outdoor cam was a lot faster - as expected. But it is still only a 12 second video… But hopefully we will be able to choose the duration if we want

The zone detection is worse than the V2 and they need to allow users to increase the duration of the motion videos.

I agree. I submitted a request to allow for a setting to set the duration of the video you would like: If 12 seconds is the default, then add 15, 30, 45, and 60 seconds as an option with an understanding that it could impact Battery life. Heck, you can set it to 60, but stop the recording when no motion is detected anymore.

I have Arlo, and am trying to get away from it. However, I did a test with IFTTT with a Wyze Motion Sensor and Triggering a camera to record. Even Arlo allows for up to 60 seconds of Record time.

Hopefully this will come to pass.

1 Like

The image sensitivity is pixel comparison algorithms like v2 and Pan. The outdoor camera motion detection uses a combination of PIR sensor and image pixel comparison to trigger a motion event. We recommend mounting your camera at 6-10 ft high with a 15-degree downward angle (no more than 30 degrees) for the best detection performance. But for your setup, it should pick up motion at 100/100. One thing to try is to set the cooldown time to 1 min and trigger motion outside of the cooldown time. Let me know if it still doesn’t work for you.

1 Like

Adjusting the duration of the video is something we’re working on. Coming soon… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

We can look into the delayed push notification issues if you could DM me the MAC ID’S of the V2 and WCO as well as the time when it happened. :slight_smile:

My cam is mounted at around 10 ft. It is not capturing motion/events/notifications at night. Night vision is set to auto. I mounted the camera so I could view/record motion on my driveway, at least the portion that appears in the detection zone. It is only capturing motion (during day) when the subject is close to the camera (perhaps because of my settings? What should the settings be?

This would be great. Can’t wait. Thanks for the info

I have a similar setup with the WCO.

• Camera mounted 10ft high pointing about 15-degrees down.
  • Detection set to 100/100
  • Cooldown set to 1min

I do get detection but only within ~10ft of the camera. If I walk into the detection zone beyond 20ft of distance I don’t get any recordings. After cooldown I walk into field of view within detection zone and motion event get triggered when I get really close to the camera. I was hoping with 100/100 settings I would get a lot more motion events captured. Note, this was testing in daytime.

Additionally, I have a Ring Spotlight Cam mounted next to WCO for testing purposes. Detection distance on motion events is far superior.

1 Like

Can someone from Wyze provide sometype of metric to indicate the distance per setting? Meaning:

if I set the Distance to Far (100), does that equate to 26ft or what? If I set it to near (10) does that equeste to 5 ft or what?

Just trying to get an idea as to what the numbers really mean.

thanks

2 Likes

Sent the info - please let me know if you need anything else

I’m having some issues with the person detection. My camera is mounted on the deck rail facing the back door. Maybe 15 ft.
Prob 1:
Last night I went out to test and got a notification but the clip says its not in the cloud. Try again later.
Prob 2:
This morning I went out and got the notification and clip just fine. Since then, repeated try result in no motio detection at all. Yes, they are 5 minutes apart.

Anyone seeing anything like this?

Not sure if this will help, but did you set your Detection settings for Distance and Sensitivuty to 100? Mine are now set to 100 and a cool down of 1 minute. While testing inside the house, I got continual notifications - but in an average of 30 seconds which I am working with Wyze on.

I recently put it outside and tested without issues so far.

Here is how I mounted it on my porch…

If we cannot go beyond 30 degrees, does the mount stop you from doing that?