Wyze Garage Door Controller - First Impression

That is cool. It looks like it is iOS-only though :sob: Luckily I do have an old iOS phone on the way so I will be able to test this then…

Wish it was in Android…now I’m going to have @cyberdog_17 rubbing it in that iOS has another cool thing Android doesn’t have yet. :roll_eyes:

Thanks for sharing @Sam_Bam

2 Likes

Look, I am sorry to praise other vendors’ products. But no one vendor makes a product that is perfect for everything we want. I really like Wyze. I like their cameras, I like their Sense V1. But there’s stuff I don’t like too.

Before the Wyze GDC, I have been using a hacked Sonoff Basic device for years. Cost me $6. Open/Close Voice and app control. And I only recently swapped the Basic out for the RF version of the Basic that I hacked to add 433 Remote capability to my GDC. Love having voice, app, manual, Flic 2 button, NFC tag and generic remote methods of opening my GDoor.

I tried Nexx and Meross and didn’t like/need their PIN to open requirement (which I believe Amazon imposed on them). Then I found this Yolink door sensor. any/some of you guys that have the Wyze GDC should check out this app tool “LiveKey”. Its capable of engaging GeoFencing on My Q GDCs. And its also has Wyze as one of its partners. Maybe the Wyze GDC will pop up as a choice after the service is linked. Cameras do not, but other Wyze stuff does. I am guessing the controller in GDC will even though the camera does not. Works great. Just reports the status of the door, regardless of how it opened or closed. Has granularity that allows me to get an accurate status and a reminder. Darn cheap, but does require their $20ish hub. But once you get the hub, there’s all kinds of other stuff, you will love too. And they have two versions of GDCs that can help you regardless of your GDO model. And I have three repurposed Wyze V2’s in my garage to insure I can see what goes on.

Wyze agrees with you. In fact, I recall that they admit this in their Reddit rules:

1. Don’t Just Advertise for Other Products

Sometimes product comparison is important to a discussion and Wyze’s first priority is to get the needs of the user met. We know that our camera won’t be perfect for everyone so if someone has a problem feel free to make a recommendation! Just don’t post solely for the sake of advertising another product. That’s rude. :frowning:

They are understanding of that. What you are doing to provide information and help out is very different from someone spamming and advertising and intentionally trying to hurt the company. Especially since you are recommending people look into LiveKey which appears to be able to work with Wyze devices (not necessarily competing AGAINST them in that way). Wyze is pretty reasonable when it comes to us giving alternative recommendations that aren’t Wyze, and I totally understand what they mean by that rule on Reddit.

1 Like

@carverofchoice, thank you very much. I didn’t know about Reddit rules. I am just fortunate that I didn’t push to far in my explanation of other products. I would not purposely be rude but could have accidentally found myself violating rules. Again, thanks.

1 Like

I mean :smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk: iOS :muscle:t3::muscle:t3::muscle:t3::muscle:t3::muscle:t3::muscle:t3: Nah this is cool though, I’m gonna give this a try actually

1 Like

Nice looking setup.

I like the clean setup you’ve got going here. Gave me some ideas to clean up the cables on mine better.

Curious if anyone’s figured out a way to make the Wyze GDC voice automated yet? That’s my biggest issue with it. It says “Alexa coming soon” - but that could mean soon as in a few months or one year from now.

I have the NEXX NG 200 garage door controller and that integrates with Alexa and Siri. Would love if Wyze gives us an update about when the Alexa integration will be here!

So rather than use a QR code to determine door status, how about a Hall Field Effect transistor module. Since most doors have a trolley of some sort, It’d be simple enough to incorporate that and a magnet in the kit. It’d also be nice if Wyze was available through Home Assistant. I’ve installed the add on but it doesn’t really work.

Wyze has entry sensors, but that is an additional cost. If nothing else, Wyze tries to keep the cost down. A QR code is helpful in that way. Full AI isn’t easily there yet, there is a cost involved.

What add-on did you install?

It didn’t take a server issue or ‘open’ rule being misconfigured for me. I simply moved my camera to insert a microSD card, and put the camera back where it was (so I thought) and the next time the “Close the Garage Door IF CLOSED”… schedule fired, the Garage door opened, then closed 44 seconds later while the garage was fully closed already.

IMO, if V3 Cam falls out of calibration, the GDC should NEVER allow schedules to occur.

SJ

1 Like

It doesn’t know when it is out of calibration.

If it sees the UPC code in the expected location, it knows it is calibrated and that the door is closed. Any other state is assumed to be “not properly closed” = “Open”

If it tries to close the “open” door, the door opens unexpectedly.

It could look for a UPC code that is visible, but not in the “open” or “closed” calibration positions, but it doesn’t. “Calibrated but Open” is often going to be impossible, since the UPC code probably isn’t even visible.

The problem I have is the camera is stuck to the motor case, and the vibration causes it to rotate a bit every time the motor runs. The cord isn’t long enough to mount the camera away from the motor.

I solved the problem with some double-stick nano tape holding the camera to the magnetic disc.

when i asked google to close my garage door it asked for my pin…so how do i set my pin with wyze?

Why is that any different from the Wyze door lock and Alexa?

I don’t have google but the way it worked on Alexa with a previous smart door controller is you set the pin in Alexa, via voice prompt. look in you Google Home settings,

This is what I see in Alexa for the GDC but not in a place to try it out

1 Like

Update to the Alexa Integration

Wow! That looks promising. I’m on Android though, and don’t see anything comparable on our version of the app… :frowning:

Bugger, yes, I did do this from iOS. But went to my Android device and the settings are still there. I will reverse from iOS and see if I can get the same results with Android.

I was testing this with @spamoni and I know his daily driver is a Pixel 6. I think he got the same results on his Android. There was an Alexa update recently. Are you on the latest version of Alexa?

Ok so I was able to replicate this with Android on the Pixel 6, same process as above

Alexa Version

Tap around this area until you get the prompt then follow onscreen instructions

This is a bug from the Alexa iOS app, not Wyze. We already reported this bug to the Alexa team.

The good news is Alexa feature for Wyze Garage Door Controller is available now.
If you’re already using the Wyze Skill, Alexa may have already discovered your garage door controller. However, you will not be able to control it until you’ve set up a 4-digit voice code. You must delete the garage door controller from Alexa and “discover” it again to get the option to create the code.

For more detail, please see the step-by-step instruction here:

3 Likes

Ahhh…it’s been a long day (too many work emails and zoom calls!!!). I noted that I was on Android…but forgot to mention that my smart home ecosystem is wrapped around Google and Google Assistant. I’m on a Pixel 6 Pro, btw. But even so I can’t find a screen in the Android app that looks anything like the screen shot you’re sharing. I’ve got version 2.32.0.154 of the Android app installed. Whether or not I’ve got Google or Alexa…the Wyze app should look the same. What version are you on?