That's it, I'm out. I can't take it any more

But of course :grinning:

What did I miss?

The Android version removed support for the hardware decoder. This causes a lag in live view.

Until this is addressed a lot of Android users are downgrading to a version that still supports the decoder.

I see no visible lag on my S10. I thought we were talking about ability to access across networks.

Your S10 should be fine, my bad that reply was for another thread.

1 Like

The Android version removed support for the hardware decoder. This causes a lag in live view.

Until this is addressed a lot of Android users are downgrading to a version that still supports the decoder.

Understood. That’s what I was thinking. Thanks.

Yes, I have a Samsung phone. AND last timing was a 26 second delay, so it got worse!

I agree with the original poster. After trying to resolve issues for over a month I’m about to go a different direction as wyze can’t seem to offer a reliable product. Just read the forums, one issue after another with every product that’s released.

1 Like

Yes this issue is fairly well known issue with the app since support for the hardware decoder was removed due to the required change from 32 to 64 bit software.

A new app version is in the works but I have not heard a release date yet.

1 Like

Being retired and living on social security, I can only afford low priced cameras like Wyze. They are fantastic for the price. I never have issues with them but they are only a year old. I have other IP cameras also but lucky for me no SD card has ever been corrupted on any of my 8 cameras in the last few years.

2 Likes

I have never seen a significant lag. I have the app running on a mid-range Android phone … a Motorola G7. There is about a 1 second lag between motion and seeing that motion on the app on my phone. This 1 second lag stays the same if my phone is connected to the internet via WiFi or via cellular signal.

When I connect to a camera via RTSP (therefore NOT using the app), then there is about a 3 second delay. I have two cameras running the special RTSP firmware, and one running the standard firmware. The 1 second delay when using the app is consistent across all three cameras.

These cameras have been quite stable for me. I’ve had two or three household power failures and the cameras have always come back online perfectly by themselves once power is restored. Ditto for the motion sensor and door sensor that is connected to one of the cameras. I think I have had three or four instances where I couldn’t connect to a camera from the app. Usually a second attempt to connect will work, but when that doesn’t, I force close the app and then it connects fine after that.

— different topic —

Above, someone said that you have to be on the same network to access a camera. This is not true. You need to be on the same network to setup a camera, but after that you can switch your display device (smartphone running the app) to a totally separate network that is completely separate and/or firewalled from the camera network. The app will connect things just fine, because it goes out over the internet through a third party Wyze server (this implies that both networks have to have individual internet access). In order to connect to a camera via RTSP you will need to be on the same network, or have routing and firewall holes set up so that you can communicate between the two networks on TCP port 554.

1 Like

Hi. What is your networks upload speed? We recently upgraded our wireless internet to 15MB but that didn’t come with a significant increase in upload speed. Our lag did improve some as long as only one person in the house was attempting to view live feed via the app. I assume the cameras need to upload the information before it can be viewed. Since the cameras are on the same network with a shitty upload speed, I think if we weren’t so cheap and we upgraded our internet package again, Right now I can view all 4 cameras grouped on1 screen pretty effortlessly but as soon as I switch one camera to full screen I’ve learned to naturally brace myself for a long delay or loss of signal, especially if my husband is doing the same on his phone. We both use older iPhones

Love it! As a ranking member of the older iPhone club (a 5C) … I’m amazed that anything works on my aged, trusty old iPhone.

But what really floors me is that WYZE continues to work with me (and cares enough) so that WYZE stuff still works on my old iPhone.

We also have a iPhone Xs … so I guess we represent the alpha and omega.

I’ll get a new phone when the 5C dies … but if it ain’t broke … why fix it?

My upload speed, where the cameras are located, is about 25-30 Mbps. My download speed, where the app is running, is 185Mbps. But surely the cellphone over WiFi is not seeing that speed - that is measured from a ethernet-wired desktop. I need to install a speed check app on my cellphone.

Well, finding a cellphone speed check app and installing it was much quicker than I thought. My cellphone measures 45Mbps download over WiFi. That’s pretty poor compared to my wired desktop on the same network. I’ll need to look into that. However, for the purposes of this thread, that download speed (and the upload speed at the camera location) should be more than adequate for streaming video.

Yep, that’s the one I found and installed. Nice app.

1 Like

I have moved cameras, bought new ones (because I’m a glutton for punishment or just insane and hoping for a different result with the same actions. I now have 10 cameras and 2 smart plugs. Last night in bed I heard a noise. Went to check out the front door camera and its says “offline” I tried rebooting it from bed…still offline. I check out the other camera facing near my front door…“Offline”. I thought I’d turn on the light in the living room to view something from the living room camera. “The plug is offline”. I go to check out the 2nd plug that I have connected to a light and that too is offline. I go to check out a 3rd camera that is facing near the front of my home…you guessed it “offline”. So 3 cameras, 2 plugs are all offline at the same time. I don’t understand how this keeps happening. Checked out the other cameras, they were fine.

1 Like

First off, the quality of the components are minimal, so don’t expect a $25 usd camera to perform the same as one that’s 2-3-4 times the cost. The Wifi antenna in these are tiny (though expected) and low quality. I expect the Wifi radio about the same.

“Location” (as with real estate) is important for these cams … they seem to have this thin threshold… great at xxx feet with no obstructions , but at xxx+1 feet, they fail.

It took me some effort to find the “sweet spot” location for each. As I admit elsewhere. we use these for entertainment purposes, so if they get flakey, we don’t think much of it.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. My husband had a friend who had these cameras and they came highly recommended. I have felt like pulling my hair out for the couple years that we’ve had them . I really probably should invest in nicer ones (that have good customer service)