That's it, I'm out. I can't take it any more

I’m not so sure number of devices means a lot with decent routers and internet. I don’t have a mesh system, but I do have a decent mid range Linksys EA8300 router and 200 MB cable internet. I have about 33 devices which include smart bulbs, switches, 5 Alexa devices, 4 fire TV devices, computers, phones, tablets, TV’s, printers and 5 cameras (2 of them Wyze). I have two tablets mounted to the wall in the kitchen and living room that display my door/driveway camera 24/7 .

With all that, I rarely have any device problems. The Wyze cameras almost never fail, but I do need to reconnect the app on the wall mounted tablets maybe once every 2 days, but that has more to do with android or the app since the cameras are still transmitting and I just need to hit the app refresh icon.

Eddited to add: I did have a big problem with the tablets with lag on the latest app and removing hardware acceleration, but rolling back the app worked for now. I also do get dropouts of Wyze sensors more frequently than I like, but the cameras themselves have been very solid even with all the devices on my network.

Hay , another Linksys user :smile: I don’t get any kind of drop outs or anything EA9500

2 Likes

These all sound like network issues. Could be your WiFi, something else in your router, your ISP, interference from your neighbor’s equipment, etc. Blame the Wyze Cam if you want, but you’ll probably experience the exact same issues with anything you decide to replace them with. These Wyze Cams may not be perfect, but they’re a lot better than you seem to be experiencing.

What seems telling to me, is your statement “The thumbnail works, but when I go to full view, auth never completes”. In my experience, the Wyze Cam does not re-auth when you switch to full view. My assumption is, that if yours is re-authing, then that might be because you are having network issues that bump it off. This is consistent with what I said above, about my guess being that you are having network issues in general.

You might want to try downloading an app onto your smartphone for WiFi analysis. Something like “WiFi Analyzer”. See what channels your neighbors are on. I know you said that changes, but what I’m after is checking to see if these neighbors are using the “off channels”. In general, things run much smoother if everybody is playing nice and running on channels 1, 6 or 11. Even if crowded, your hardware can sort things out just fine. The big problem is adjacent channel interference. Like some yahoo saying, “Hey, there’s nobody on channel 7. I’ll use that one!” That just screws everybody’s signal up, including the yahoo’s. That’s because channel 7 overlaps part of the spectrum for channel 6, which pollutes 6. What you will generally see on a WiFi Analyzer screen, is lots of people bunched onto channels 1, 6 and 11. This is good. It’s the oddballs that think they’re being smart and using the other channels that screw it up for everybody else. You can’t really blame the oddballs if they are truly ignorant. It’s the know-it-alls who don’t really know anything and intentionally use the off channels that need to be spoken to.

1 Like

What platform does WiFi Analyzer run on?

There are many programs and apps that use the generic term “WiFi Analyzer” in their name and they run on pretty much every platform available. Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android etc…

You would need to be a bit more specific.

1 Like

Specifically, below is the “WiFi Analyzer” I am talking about. It runs on Android. I don’t know if there is an iOS version of it.

https:// play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

1 Like

Below (click on the link, I’m not sure how to post a picture directly to a thread here) is an example WiFi Analyzer screen. Note that the one labeled Tenda_597638 is the yahoo who is operating on the off channel, screwing things up for the folks on channel 1 and channel 6 (you can see the overlap visually).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/TU-HX4NPq5GLdOY8KNVtw3tRWFTOWTsafpWzxJCwdZckpKlNQL27Dqr47rdefDNxhw=w1506-h921-rw

Note: Things can obviously still work with adjacent channel interference, but it’s much harder for them to work well.

1 Like

One further note: On some Smartphones (and I would assume tablets as well) you will need to turn on “Location services” for WiFi Analyzer to work. Something about shared hardware in a few specific devices I believe. For example, I do not need location services for it to work on my Fire HD8 tablet (a good thing, since this tablet does not have GPS!) But on my Motorola G7 smartphone, I have to turn on location services for the app to work. This is mentioned somewhere in the documentation for the app.

On my Windows PC, I’ve always used inSSIDer from MetaGeek for WiFi analysis. Great program …

I was looking at PC Wi-Fi analyzers awhile back , is this fairly intuitive to get started or complicated from the get go?

1 Like

I believe so. It’s free so you can always give it a try and uninstall if it’s not what you expected. :wink:

2 Likes

The one by farproc for Android is good. There is also one available for Windows in the store. The app just monitors and won’t cause any harm. I like that it shows 2.4G and 5G. Ping Tools Pro for Android does this graphing and more.

Wifi Analyzer

Ping Tools Pro

1 Like

I have that on tablet
didn’t know it was available for windows

2 Likes

So, I am again showing my lack of tech savvy. I am trying to have the feed be more live than a 20 second delay. The camera is connected becasue I scanned the QRcode through my phone. So, I am assuming the camera is connected to the network/Internet the same way my phone is. How do I put it on a different connection, say a guest etc. as has been suggested.
I have fairly new Nighthawk Router.

You would need to delete the camera from inside the app. Then re setup the camera under the new SSID. You will need to connect your phone to whatever network you are going to use temporarily until the cameras are setup again.

Keep in mind that if you change the cameras to a different network your phone or tablet will need to change to that network as well in order to see them.

In order to see them during the setup process and in order to download time lapse videos. After setup, you can view across networks.

1 Like

Provided you have not turned on any isolation features your router may have. My router enforces isolation on the Guest Network. Nothing on that network can see the main network and nothing on the main network can see anything on the guest network.

So, I did all of this. Set up a guest network, deleted, reinstalled, blah blah and yadda yadda…STILL A 20 SECOND DELAY!!! I am not mad at you and I appreciate the suggestion. I AM JUST SO UPSET THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS CAMERA IS NOT WORKING the way it needs to.

Now that you mention that, I have it setup that networks can’t talk to each other. If I am connected to the cam network, I cannot use my printer on the other network.

I agree with you, but I wonder what makes my access to cams different? Interesting. I will need to check further.

Thanks.

Are you by chance using Android?