[RESOLVED] Service Advisory: Online/Offline Status Not Updating Correctly - 12/19/20

I was going to try that but apparently no sense wasting my time if it doesn’t work.
I’m having the same issue is everyone here, the lights will turn on activated with the sensor but are failing to turn off according to rules :neutral_face:

1 Like

Even before this outage, my rules are all messed up. One rule duplicated itself, and runs but it does not exist in my list of rules. Hence, I cannot delete or disable it.

So annoying.

I think @UserCustomerGwen is enjoying her weekend, which as far as I’m concerned she is completely entitled and welcome too. If you need a guaranteed 99.999% uptime and a one hour response time in case of a slight outage, you probably want to shell out the big bucks for a product that offers that. From what I read now, rules tied to Wyze bulbs that are supposed to turn them off are not functioning. That seems to be only a minor nuisance.

Although, as a suggestion to Wyze, it might be a nice touch for us users if we were in some way able to communicate that an outage is not 100% resolved yet and that some products are still affected. I’m sure they’ll pick this back up when they find out.

1 Like

@vincent. Does anyone believe it will be different with home monitoring? So they only have one person available to communicate with the customer base? It’s obviously not fixed. They broke and called it fixed when it obviously isn’t. I think your advice is on point. If you want trustworthy, quality products and services, go elsewhere. Chinese trinkets and Kmart prices will not get you protection. Anyone thinking different isn’t paying attention. These are toys.

3 Likes

I set mine up a little bit different, motion not detected for 3 min power off lights
this works to shut the lights off , when my previously set rules in the wyze app that I have not changed are still failing to function properly

Masquerading as tools but nothing more than electronic toys.

Interesting thing is I’ve not had a single problem with any Wyze hardware (although I also don’t own any of the newer stuff - scales, thermostats, WCO, etc.). My problem is, and always has been, the S/W, F/W and back end systems and the abysmal testing (or lack thereof) before implementing changes.

I wholeheartedly agree, they could be viewed as toys at this time. That doesn’t mean home monitoring, for which people will pay a monthly subscription fee, will necessarily meet the same fate, because I assume Wyze understands that there are consequences to charging people money. Time will tell.

I like Wyze because of their philosophy and their prices, so I am willing to cut them a lot of slack. I also think Wyze products have it in them to over time become more than “just toys”. I would not use them for “mission critical” operations until they have proven to be trustworthy enough for my personal needs.

I do believe that when people intentionally use the current Wyze products in order to save a couple of bucks in an environment where they expect uninterrupted functionality, they shouldn’t be surprised that they get what they paid for, and their time coming up with vitriolic responses would be better spent by considering more mature solutions.

2 Likes

Hi all, I have not suffered any of these issues to my my knowledge. I don’t have a ton of stock in in the rules, other than a few motion detects to turn lights on then after X minutes turn lights off, turn interior cameras on after X time and off after X time, where the rest of my action are Alexa Routines.

All of my WYZE devices… plugs, cameras, motion sensors, door sensors, scale, locks, bulbs have not had an issue to the best of my knowledge. So I am curious…

This is for Android users (but I am sure similar process on iOS)
If having issues have you tried, logging out of your account on the app, force stopping the app, clearing the app cache, then logging back in to see if the rules resume?

Some where out there is a server that has your “profile” on it that stores all of the information you set in the app… The outage could have caused that profile to corrupt in some shape or form or maybe they spun up new server or something and new profiles need to be built, and my assumption is that if you “goose” your profile/account with the above steps it will overwrite a “corrupted” profile/account…

Again, only an assumption based on years of admining cloud based roaming profiles and things not working for some and things working for others… and if they aren’t working, nothing to lose with the above steps. I completed the above steps and had no unexpected results.

1 Like

I pretty much said the same thing here… 24/7 Professional Monitoring Meets Your Wyze Home - 12/8/20 - #246 by R.Good

1 Like

I’ve got a funny thing happening w/triggers still.

Wyze bulb set to turn on upon door open and then back off 3min after door closure. The open/on works fine, but the close/off is no longer functional. Have tried deleting & recreating the close/off trigger with no improvement.

I’ve got 3x doors & bulbs configured like this and all (3) scenarios are malfunctioning the same. Possible that some other service is still struggling?

Oh snap… Just saw this which seems relevant to my bulb/off door close triggers. I’ll stay tuned.

Yes that will work to turn the light off but what turns it on

If you are using the wyze app to turn it on that will work, but you will have to deal with wyze lack of dependability

The rules in the wyze app that still function properly turns them on

Said it once and repeating it again… A less cloud-dependent option like this would improve outages like these dramatically.

Force stopping and restarting is a “let’s turn it off and then back on” kind of solution that was unfortunately made commonplace by a certain company’s Operating System. Nobody should think this is an acceptable way of fixing anything.

Having said that, I tried this on my Android 10 phone, but it did not fix the problem. The bulb that should be turned off after five minutes remains on indefinitely.

1 Like

Ha, well, IT support folks have made a living off of telling people to reboot for years. Sad, but true… services are touchy and still in 2020 people don’t think to reboot but, The force stop suggestion was not one of a “reboot” thought but more so if an account/profile sync could be the culprit,

Totally agree. Monkey$oft set the bar so low that end-user workaround became an expected norm rather than manufacturers polishing the underlying technology.

I get that Wyze cloud storage & automation are free underpinnings of very affordable products. However, premium paid services presumably depend on the same fabric.

These situations always take me back to this old jokemail even though it was fictitious…

IF MICROSOFT MADE CARS

At a computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: “If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.”

In response to Bill’s comments, General Motors issued a press release (by Mr. Welch himself) stating:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason at all, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally, executing a manoeuver such as a left-turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, and you would have to reinstall the engine.

4. When your car died on the freeway for no reason, you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought ‘Car95’ or ‘CarNT’, and then added more seats.

6. Apple would make a car powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would run on only five per cent of the roads.

7. Oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single ‘general car default’ warning light.

8. New seats would force every-one to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag would say ‘Are you sure?’ before going off.

10. Occasionally, for no reason, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of road maps from Rand-McNally (a subsidiary of GM), even though they neither need them nor want them. Trying to delete this option would immediately cause the car’s performance to diminish by 50 per cent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

12. Every time GM introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You would press the ‘start’ button to shut off the engine.

For those of you who recently just started experiencing the "x won’t turn off when motion sensor is cleared " issues…welcome to the club.

See the thread from the big August outage below…
There are other threads as well, I just don’t feel like looking them up.

It’s a very well known issue that seems to have been ignored for a while now.
Hey, you got 4 months longer than the rest of us from the big August fail.

Same with me. Didn’t fix it. Still won’t turn off. Thanks for the idea though.

• Andy