Peephole (Door View) Camera

A few years ago I bought a Kickstarter product—Peeple, it’s exactly what Wyze should do. Looks like Peeple hasn’t updated their apps or website in three years. As others mentioned, my building does not allow any modifications to the outside of the unit’s door. If I’m on my patio or if I have music/TV on I can’t hear anybody at the door. I’d be happy with just a knock sensor that rings a chime though a camera would be nice.

4 Likes

How about adding a peephole camera to the product line? One that will fit into the existing peephole in the front door. It would have to be battery powered.

5 Likes

I’ve tried using a Yi 1080p IP camera and stripped it down to just the circuit board, lens, and backplate. At this point everything is functional except for the IR LEDs.

The lens actually is the same diameter as my peephole, so I just stick it in. A bit of tape helps the camera stay in the hole of the doorviewer without other help. Of course the condo door (1.75") is much thicker so the lens is actually “inside a deep hole” as it looks out. I live in an apartment so modification to the exterior view (to share space) requires approval. So I got a similar looking peephole, strip it down to the front cover, and punch a hole through the center. If one doesn’t look too carefully, they won’t notice that it’s a modified doorviewer.

I was kind of hoping there would be some kind of custom long lens that’s the thickness of my door for these IP cameras.

My ideal product would be an IP camera that can stick onto the existing peephole and allow for MANUAL focus and exposure adjustment. Otherwise it just wouldn’t work. I know that Smartphone cameras does a good job of this, and with enough megapixel to actually get some useful footage even when digitally zoomed in. However software is lacking for this kind of niche application.

I believe the next IP camera company to come up with a one-size-fit-all doorviewer / peephole solution will capture the entire high density housing market. This is especially lucrative before there’s basically no solution out there that’s not considered a “modification”

4 Likes

Just putting in my 2 cents (and vote) for a peephole camera. Many reasons already posted here I agree with and support. Feels like a no-brainer development and a very lucrative marketing up-side for apartment/condo/townhouse renters. I am a single-family house person who doesn’t want the physicalness of the doorbell cameras nor the rip-me-off-the-building invitation they present. I like the idea of a stealth camera as nobody would know any difference from the outside.

It would need to be battery powered and life is not an issue as it will be inside and near a recharger, plus the inside piece can be physically larger to accomodate a larger rechargable power source, too. I would like the inside to have a screen/display (button activated) to show the same view as the camera (auto-off in 20 seconds). Good suggestions on having this focal adjustable to improve focus depending on the door thickness which would make it mostly universal, although it could be designed for use of specific, standard steel door thicknesses, too.

I would definitely like to have one on each entry door, with an app that allows me to see all entry door views at once on my Android phone. I would say a mini-SD card to hold history on the device based on activation (sound/motion activated). Activity alerts as an option are nice to have. Battery level on the app with a warning to recharge. 10 foot recharge cord would reach from most doors to an outlet, which can be done when the door is not being regularly used.

Pricing? Just do like the rest of your products. I would pay for the Ring unit, but it’s kludgy and doesn’t really fit the nice to have parameters on the Wyze product line. Besides, they’ve made enough money and Wyze needs a big piece of this pie. :slight_smile: I would be very willing to thoroughly beta test this product if you deside to go forward with this concept.

4 Likes

I am proposing an Idea here that I think Wyze should consider. It seems that most vendors have missed this simplistic approach to a door bell camera including Wyze.

What I am suggesting is an OLD approach that you apply new technology to.

Search for peephole or door viewer and you will find these simple cylinders that you put in your door. Has a fish eye lense and you look through it to see who is on the other side of the door. Later came a few technical solutions where they put a camera in the door viewer and hung the video screen on the inside of the door.

I have not see this approach taken by anyone so I would like to give some statements here to point out the benefits of this approach:

1. Already have a hole in my door
  2. Positions the camera in Center of door
  3. Electronics are on the inside of the door
  4. Power can be easily fed from the hinge side of the door
  5. WiFi coverage is much better on the inside of the door
  6. Microphone/speaker and door bell button could be part of what is on the outside of the door
  7. Easily fastened to the door with the same method used by the door viewer - no additional mounting requirements on the outside.

The concept here is to minimize the external foot print and put the technology inside the house. With this then tied back to an iPhone or computer, one can answer the door from anywhere. I have three doors on my house and that would be a simple way to have visibility at this locations for outdoor cameras without too much effort.

Mark

4 Likes

Would be great to have one of these. Close to 90% of Singapore lives in high rise apartments, and where doorbells are already installed.

A similar peephole camera like brinno shc1000w would be awesome. Discreet so that people do not know that it is a cam from the outside. Only issue is that the app isnt great and connectivity is an issue.

Amazing that in 2021 there isnt a peephole cam that makes the grade. The other option is ring peephole cam which is bulky and too obvious.

2 Likes

Please consider this as there are no electronics visible on the outside of the entrance door, all is on the inside.

Many users as I do not have an existing wired doorbell and this is a much-need addition to your offerings.

Thank you

2 Likes

Much needed for apartment dwellers that do not have an existing doorbell

2 Likes

I’m only interested in a peephole camera, so that the outside of the door would not look any different than it does originally. I’m not interested in a doorbell, just peephole. Suspending the WYZE camera on the inside of the door is one of the goals for me. So far, 3M Command Strips aren’t reliable. The camera is not heavy, but opening and closing the door makes it less secure. Connecting my prototype to electrical supply isn’t pretty right now. It’s functional, but not a final solution. connelly.shawn is correct about the available Amazon choices. They’re over-priced, badly rated, and aren’t disguised.

3 Likes

mark.detelbach, Your post sounds good but that you want to include a doorbell function and speak with the person outside the door. I’m only needing a peephole camera that works on the WYZE world. I don’t need a screen, as long as I have my smartphone with me.

4 Likes

This seems like it would be right down the ally of Wyze. Having been a longtime customer and living in apartments for years. It surprises me that this doesn’t exist.

Instead of the doorbell type options where a device is placed on the outside.

Create a product that uses a basic existing peephole on many doors, this product would stick to the door with a camera system that goes over the peephole. This would allow you to view who is outside while your not around. Without changing the existing peephole ( which many people cannot in apartments).

7 Likes

So much needed, because a peephole camera with the unit inside that will not change the appearance of the outside would be widely used at apartment buildings with strict HOA guidelines prohibiting outside decors, cameras, etc. There is nothing on the market that would alert the user with the features of ring but without the body of the camera outside the door.

4 Likes

EXACTLY! That’s where the research needs to be headed. If WYZE made a workable peephole camera, it would be a sell-out for years.

4 Likes

Yes, a peephole replacement camera with Wifi would be a winner! Condos, HOAs, etc. require minimal appearance changes to the exterior door. The Wyze apps are so well done, I can’t imagine they can’t build such a camera. The only thing CLOSE I’ve seen is a “Brinno” peephole replacement cam…but it doesn’t do Wifi! Please, Wyze, this is staring you in the face!

4 Likes

Brinno isn’t even close, because I haven’t found any of them without a big box on the outside of the door.
WYZE needs to figure out what kind of lens, that would look similar to a regular peephole lens, that could be screwed through the door to the camera. It doesn’t have to be battery powered or even rechargeable for the beta version. For starters, I could run the wire from the door’s hinge side. They could figure out rechargeable later.

1 Like

Volunteering to be a Beta Tester!

1 Like

The Brinno camera is actually close, no big box on the outside, just a small metal bezel around a lens. Little to no change to the appearance of the “dumb” existing peephole. The inside unit is just a self-contained screen and SD card. No connectivity to any other device, which greatly limits its usefulness.

The big obstacle is powering the unit. Even if it were to have a hefty, 6-month(?) rechargeable battery, that’s still not ideal. But it might be the best engineering possible. Having an AC cord from the door unit to a wall outlet would only be a beta/temporary solution. I can’t imagine anyone would buy such a thing.

1 Like

I’ve never seen a Brinno that wasn’t an obvious box outside the door. I’ll have to keep looking.

You’re so right about simply recording whoever was at the front door, on an SD card.

1 Like

Search Amazon for Brinno model SHC500. It’s “dumb,” since it simply records to its internal SD card. Doesn’t notify you (because it can’t do Wifi), so it’s less useful when you’re away from home. Absurdly expensive at about $100.

1 Like

You’re right about that model not showing on the outside of the door. That proves that it CAN be done, if only WYZE would focus on that style.

When I just did a search for the Brinno SHC500, a site called Zoro.com has it listed for $232! YUCK!

1 Like