Peephole (Door View) Camera

I also want that. It would just require refactoring the wyzecam v2 with new lenses to fit into a standard apartment door peephole. Keep the electronics, the firmware and the app exactly the same. I’d pay 2 or 3 times the price of a wyzecam for a product like that. Currently, that product doesn’t even exists, but there definitely is a market for it.

And all the products that are similar to ring doorbells can’t be installed in apartments or condos. It’s also impossible to install wyze cams outside your door. The only option is to buy a Chinese ntsc camera with the right lens, hook it up to a raspberry pie and program the whole thing. That’s more a project than a product tbh.

4 Likes

Would love for Wyze to make a Peephole Camera. I’m really discouraged about Ring products and would like to find something more discreet. Peephole cameras are a more viable option for renters and apartment dwellers where hardwiring isn’t really feasible.

Thank you!

4 Likes

An interior peep hole camera that either uses the existing peephole on your door, (much like the wyze lock uses your existing deadbolt), or perhaps a special version is included for you to install would be fantastic. I have been looking for some sort of similar device for quite a while, and none meet my expectations.

The peephole viewers such as the Brinno are generally battery powered only, write to sdcard only and no wifi or notifications. The exterior doorbell/cam combos such as Ring are not suitable for many condo/apartment dwellers or home associations.

I have tried several different small wifi cams from ebay, all of which have questionable firmware and apps.

We all know the wyze cams and how well they work, it should not be that difficult to create a new product that clips onto the existing peephole and allows a wyze cam to look through, or is integrated into a lens attachment and a bracket that attaches to the inside door.

Ideally there would be a wyze peephole cam or attachment/modification that works just like the existing wyze cams. Granted the view may not be as wide through the peep hole, but that can be dealt with the proper lens/fisheye.

Step one: Buy it from wyze!
Step two: Install the peephole/lens and bracket to the door.
Step three: Align the wyze cam on the bracket behind the peephole.
Step four: Pair with app on phone or tablet.
Step five: Profit!

4 Likes

I’m on board with this as well. I think something that mounts internally, and looks like a standard peephole from the outside is a great idea. Since most entry doors aren’t wired for power, having it run off a pair of rechargeable 18650 batteries is greatly preferred over four AA alkaline batteries… coughwyzelockcough

-Motion triggered with immediate clip recording to SD card and/or cloud.
-Selectable motion zones.
-Face snapshot preview (might be reaching here).
-Knock detection.
-Viewable/shareable through app.
-If you want to get real fancy, make a little LED illuminate inside the peephole after a knock/motion event so it always looks like some turned on a light just inside the door.

4 Likes

I believe one reason many companies go with AA batteries for a device is they don’t encounter the shipping restrictions putting lithium ion batteries with a device would have. Most people also don’t have a 18650 charger, so including that would be an additional expense.

There are rather pricey (as they apparently incorporate an internal voltage regulator) 1.5 V rechargeable AA lithium ion batteries available, but I have yet to test them in an application like this.

1 Like

How about an over the door mount for the existing cameras? No need to incur costs to develop new camera for peephole. The pan 'n tilt would give me a view of the entire hallway.

2 Likes

No good for apartment or condos where you can’t install anything outside of your own unit. That’s >40% of the US population.

1 Like

I didn’t know that. I live in an apartment and had an over the door camera and had no problems with management, just the camera kept disconnecting from my WiFi so it was returned for refund.
I did see someone on YouTube connect his Wyze cam to the actual peephole with command strips so I will try that for now.

1 Like

Well, maybe your one apartment manager was ok with it, but it sure isn’t the case for most building. I would absolutely prefer a very visible camera, as it also acts as a “I see you” warning to anyone who would want to force the door, but in my condo building it’s an absolute no-go to punch holes for wiring or “spy” on other residents when they are in the hallway.

Given the amount of people asking for this kind of product, I believe most multi-residential units are in the same situation.

1 Like

Previously I had an old cell phone and used an app on the inside of the door which is what I’m back to using. I saw a lot more with the phone on the inside of the door - neighbors stealing from each other, etc but once someone tried to break in my place I bought a LaView peephole camera as an ‘I see you’ camera - so yes you are right it is a deterrent. The camera only lasted for 7 months so I’m about to sue them for sending me a busted replacement and not honoring their warranty. This is why I am considering the Wyze, I have found no complaints about it working so if I have to paste it to the door for now I’ll do that.

1 Like

I searched around ebay, amazon, youtube etc. there are products out there that appear to do what we would want, but none of them actually fit the bill. some want $250+ for a peephole with a camera. some take an analog cctv signal, convert it to wifi and send it to a dvr. one guy had a wyze pan stuck to the inside with command strips, although i am not sure why he picked that model over the wyze v2.

it really can not be that difficult. take an off the shelf peephole from home depot and stick a wyze camera on the inside viewer. maybe some sort of screw on attachment that connect the wyze lens to the inside hole.

1 Like

Hopefully this get picks up soon.

2 Likes

Voted. Would really like something like this as I’ve been searching high and low.

When Ring came out with theirs I was excited, but in talking to my condo board, the exterior of the door cannot look different from any others, which eliminates Ring given the exterior camera, speaker, etc.

If Wyze could make something more akin to their new door lock, where all the hardware is on the inside (and outside looks exactly like a normal/standard peephole), that would fill a gap in the current market that I’m sure doesn’t just affect me. Also given Wyze already makes wifi enabled cameras, it seems like it shouldn’t be that much work to change the form factor to work, with 100% of the hardware on the inside of the door (and camera in the peephole “lens”).

Plus if you could easily unlock the door via the camera view (if using their lock or maybe even another), that would be a powerful feature as well.

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to find one of these for awhile you would think there would be more then just Ring peephole camera with as many apartment dweller there are I see ring on alot of doors in my apartments, I’m a Google nest user so with alot of wyze products I would like to see some integration with smart TVs and Android TV notifying me when someone is at the door. Please wyze make this happen.

1 Like

Apartments and condos are growing in cities. Can we have a wyze doorbell / peephole camera.

Ring had something already.

1 Like

I own two Wyze cameras and requested a peephole as well. The over the door cam I had continued to lose WiFi and LA View brand stopped responding so took refund and bought Ring peephole and am very happy with it.

1 Like

Even as a home owner, I would love a peephole camera.

Maybe someday in V3 or V4.

2 Likes

I currently own the ring peephole and it does the job perfectly.

My only regret is Ring has no way to capture your video without a subscription unless you live view.

1 Like

The issue with Ring and others is the fact it modifies the appearance of the outside of the door…many condos/associations (like mine) will not allow the outside of the door to be altered any way. Not for a Christmas wreath, and not for a Ring or similar camera.

3 Likes

Same here. Everything needs to be on the inside.

Huge market for that.

4 Likes