Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

Thank you. These Frienda ones look like they might be better than the ptehr ones I ordered, so I ordered them and will keep whichever ones seem best and return the others.

No covers at all on mine outside under the eaves over a year still working good

1 Like

@UserCustomerGwen When are you going to remove the requirement for a Facebook email?
You have a forum here, so why can’t you just use your own beta forum?

3 Likes

17 posts were split to a new topic: Cool Down, Person Detection and Cloud Storage alternatives

I like them. They fit snug. The only potential downside is that they cover the speaker on the back side so your voice will not be as loud if you want to talk to someone. This is not an issue for me as I rarely speak to anyone but if I did they can still hear me.

Heck, we’ve got almost 2 months left in the year, we might be able to get to 2,000 posts.

5 Likes

Add to your list operate up to +120 F and you have my vote. All of the other features would be nice, but get the basic model out ASAP.

Is there any update on the a outdoor camera? There was an announcement video that talked about it potentially coming out this year but haven’t heard anything since then.

It is currently being tested. Will they make the deadline? No one knows.

1 Like

As far as I can tell it is a self-imposed deadline. From a marketing standpoint (and I don’t know diddly about marketing) they need to get it out by about Thanksgiving to tap Christmas sales.

From a technology standpoint they need to get the minimum features out tested and working well.

Many people advocate for a wired camera so they can run high resolution, many want very long battery life. Some want sharks with lasers.

The V2 has proven highly adaptable as a wired-for-power outdoor cam. I had one outside for several months during the summer. @Loki posted Wyze Cam Saran

which is actually a fairly viable low cost solution,

So as an avid DIY guy I think they have a passable solution on the market already, I’m just waiting to see what they offer above the V2. I don’t need sharks with lasers, I could probably use chipmunks with pellet guns, :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think you’re optimistic about a Thanksgiving Release. There is a reason Apple, Microsoft, and Google release their new products in September and October. That reason is holiday sales. We will see what happens. My wife wants cameras on the driveway, and I am holding out to see what comes of this. Not sure I can hold her off for much longer than 2 months though.

1 Like

I’m not anticipating a Thanksgiving release, I was just stating that later than that and they will miss the window for Christmas sales.
And I’m hoping they can get a product better than the V2 but thoroughly tested.

But if you need cameras on the driveway it might be possible to get several V2’s or Pan Cams hooked up and working.

1 Like

They probably wouldn’t survive the +110° summers here in the Mojave Desert.

Look around on the forum - Mine survived about 100 degrees F outside in Mississippi sheltered in a dark owl.

2 Likes

love the own cam… you should hide the power cable in a rubber snake :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@tom, we have made some changes to the forum that make it more testing friendly but we’re not at that point yet and I’m not sure when we will be. We have tried running a test through here but it didn’t work as well as the Facebook group method.

1 Like

There is a silicone cover! I’m using them. They work great.

Frienda 2 Pack Silicone Skin with Security Wall Mount for Wyze Cam 1080p HD Camera and iSmart Alarm Spot Camera, Outdoor and Indoor Use, Black (Not Contain Camera) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSP2GG5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_gMQODbS114G8V

Exactly my thoughts. You can’t give everyone everything and what people lose sight of in a suggestion race, is more features = more complexity, expense and often lower reliability and picture quality. What matters most in any camera that’s aimed mostly for home security is picture quality. Achieve that, and you can add in whatever you like to support other uses subject to budget. If the picture quality isn’t great though, it fails at the 1st hurdle.

1 Like

I agree picture quality is high on the list, however the best picture quality will mean nothing if motion detection of an individual is not sent because it happened within the 5 min cool down period of a leaf falling!
Shorten cooldown to a reasonable 15 to 30 seconds.**
Improve the so called “instant” notification of an event (mine are between 30 seconds and 15 min. after a detection).

Now you have a useful camera for what most of us are using it for.

**I realize there is a cost to reducing the cool down period, but realistically we don’t need two weeks of storage for free. If there was something important to save, we should have saved it within the first day for the authorities. We also have our SD cards that can be viewed.

Wyze could cut its real storage cost in half if it cut it back to 1 week or even just 5 days of free storage. Understand that the vast majority of video being saved and paid for by Wyze is video of shadows, leafs falling, bugs etc etc. That savings could be translated into a much shorter cool down period. I think the trade off is well worth it.
One poster thought it would be considered ‘bait and switch’ if they reduce the free storage. I empathically disagree! Rather, it is greatly improving the usability and functionality of the camera.
Two weeks of leafs falling, or shadows passing are meaningless, if the real events are not being recorded because of the extremely long cool down period.

4 Likes

Let’s make a wireless Wyze Cam happen!