Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

It is happening. Just not as quickly as some might like. Currently it is in testing.

1 Like

I’m starting to loose patience waiting for the outdoor camera version to be released. The only update we’ve gotten is ‘it’s in development’. I need outside cameras before winter and if a good sale should come up on Black Friday I may have to buy another brand. I’ve been with using my V2 Wyze cam since the beginning and backed the Sense and Plug pre-orders, but this wait has been killing me. If Wyze doesn’t have an outdoor camera ready soon, I may have go with different equipment.

1 Like

That’s a logical step to take. Wyze can only get the cameras out when they’re ready and with an undetermined ready date, that’s really the only option. Unless you do like many have and place standard Wyze cams outside.

1 Like

They’ve consistently said that they’re expecting it “this year,” and they also just teased a photo of warehouse full of a mystery product they’re about to reveal. So… I think you won’t have to be patient much longer.

2 Likes

Yeah, I saw that photo on the Wyze FB page. I think it’s getting everyone all hyped up. Lol :grinning:

1 Like

I wonder how much a box of Amazon returns cost and where to buy them?

actually it’s “in testing”, which is further along than in-development…in the meantime, do what most others do & use a v2, as long as it’s somewhat protected, it will be fine.

1 Like

I think it is just sending existing products to retailers in order to be prepared for the holiday season.

I suspect that unless you need battery power for your outdoor camera that a V2 will do everything you want, maybe even better, at a lower cost.

I’ve seen some videos on YouTube about buying Amazon returns. You can check it out. This one guy bought his from here: https://www.liquidation.com/index

I saw a separate post and a different video on preparing for the retailers for the holiday. You can read about on Wyze’s Facebook page.

1 Like

This product is now in beta testing and we’re still aiming to have it out this year. :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Haha. My suspicion is that your careful wording is aiming to avoid spoiling a surprise in… oh, let’s say a week or so. :grin:

PLEASE have all major features functioning before release. I know some of us are wanting sharks with lasers, but if this cannot be accomplished in a timely manner leave the feature out.

For many of us Wyze Cam Saran may be a viable solution.

1 Like

What “major features” are you afraid will be non-functional? Just curious.

One of the things I love about Wyze is that they DO keep adding major features to their existing products after the fact. I can’t see anything bad about that really. If a major feature didn’t exist when you bought it and you get it later, how can you really complain about that? Haha.

1 Like

Luckily there is only 2 months left in the year. I bought 1 camera to try it out and i was gonna buy 7 more after I tested but now that i saw this ill hold off for the new camera.

Moving away from my old 720p bnc cameras :slight_smile:

1 Like

For instance during one upgrade Time Lapse got hosed, it worked well when I bought most of my cams, it’s working again but it took months.

Yes, very funny,
Offline recording worked when I bought. It may be coming back. But it’s not there yet.

Their constant adding of features without ensuring existing features continue to work is worth complaining about.
The recent change to the libraries and removal of hardware acceleration which resulted in delays of 30 seconds between reality and recording has been patched, but it took a lot of complaining.

As a beta tester with years of experience in fielding complex systems it seems Wyze is in a very competitive market where many competitors rush software to market.

2 Likes

if you’re a Wyze beta tester it comes with testing…features sometimes get broken with updates, so there is nothing to complain about, you should expect issues & help to resolve by sending logs…rarely do they release a update to the public that’s broken.

1 Like

I have a feeling that teaser pic is something else (no clue what though)…IF the outdoor cam was ready for shipping I would think they would have officially announced it already…but who knows, I could be wrong.

Gotcha. So you meant something more like, “don’t kill major features.” Haha. To be fair, I wouldn’t necessarily consider either of those “major features,” but I certainly understand the frustration when something ceases to work properly. I also don’t think any of those features were intentionally killed, which probably means they’ll get it fixed at some point. They’re a young company trying to innovate at a breakneck pace. They’re less than two years old, and they keep expanding their product line and the capabilities of their existing products. So it’s understandable that things might get a little broken from time to time. I’m willing to put up with that for now, considering their price point and their focus on improving their products. I feel confident that I’m buying into an expandable ecosystem that isn’t getting abandoned any time soon. And the more they expand third-party integrations, maybe even an API, the more third parties can fill in the functionality gaps.