Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

I’ll shoot you a piece of advice here, although it’s up to you if you take it. If you want a good facial shot, your cameras need to be 6-7 feet from the ground. If you’re worried about them being interfered with, then make sure each camera is covered by another camera, so any interference is recorded. No problem having a high camera for an overview or as a safety measure to record an entry if the other cameras are taken out, but it won’t get you a good facial shot unless the suspect is daft enough to look up at the camera directly.

I don’t honestly know what the upcoming outdoor cam has or does not have for IR emitters. Hopefully whatever they use will meet your needs. :slightly_smiling_face:

You don’t need IR if you have good sensor. Many of the best sensors as found in the professional cameras I mentioned above, can now record very good images at night in colour with only a little light. A floodlight / outdoor light increases that ability massively.

Anyway, as I said above, I’m staying out of this for a while. It’s not spitting the dummy, I have no issue with anyone or any discussion. I’m just not sure constant discussions of this nature are helpful to the forum.

Yeah, AliExpress has some very powerful 850nm illuminators that are inexpensive.

The other side benefit from using a stand alone illuminator aside from the much brighter illumination is that if you’ll put it several feet from your camera you’ll notice that you have fewer insects flying around to trip the activity detect. Some of them seem to be attracted to the IR.

1 Like

Yes they do, actually much cheaper than you can get on Amazon if you don’t mind waiting a bit :grinning:

Be careful and get the 940 nm illuminator if you are using the Pan camera. The 850 nm ones work great for the V2’s. Learned that the hard way. It is on the spec sheet here which I did not read until after I bought the wrong one. :laughing:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024870851-Wyze-Cam-FAQ

Direct link:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024870851&?section=visual-range

Just before I take a hiatus, example of how you don’t need IR with the right sensor package:

3.13am in the Morning in the Pouring Rain (observe the puddle far left of the picture) according to the time stamp - (4mp Dahua Starlight) - watch at 1440P - yellow colour cast is from the streetlights - look at the white garage light to the right to see the potential with a little white light / under white street lights:

The question is not if it’s achievable but at what price. The above isn’t a very expensive camera, $168, nor is it the best available at night, although it is way way beyond WYZE’s current pricing. However, the dashcam with the new sensor I linked way above by Viofo has to give some hope of starlight color being achievable at a low price.

We need pics :slight_smile:

1 Like

You know that’s not a bad idea, let me ask!

1 Like

Obviously a camera crew with an armed security guard at every corner of my house would be ideal.
But a $22 surveillance cam plugged into a floodlight socket works very well.

1 Like

At what point will Wyse be able to tell us the feature set of the outdoor camera? I’m looking to make a purchase but would hate to buy the current Wyse Cams and put them in an outdoor enclosure if a more compelling product is right around the corner.

I know this is a long thread, but if you read through it, there is some official info embedded. Other than that, it’s all we can say at this point.

4 Likes

I’ll have to slog through the whole thing one evening. 731 posts is a long march.

2 Likes

If you are looking for something specific, you can use the Search icon at the top-right, and check “Search this topic”. :slight_smile:

I would recommend searching for WyzeDongsheng’s posts in here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, already figured that out. I think I have a decent picture of what you’re coming out with.

If only we knew when :wink:

1 Like

We do! Sometime between now and the end of the year! (I think, I hope, I believe!) :grinning::grinning:

1 Like

I note you don’t say what year! :slight_smile:

You caught that eh? :grinning:

Doesn’t that translate to 'I think"=2019 ‘I hope’= 2020 ‘I believe’= 2021

1 Like

I am more optimistic so it was more 4th quarter this year. 1st quarter next year and 2nd quarter next year!

:blush: