Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

Not really. The data limit for USB is 16 ft, but as you point out the WYSE cam doesn’t use USB for data, only power.

However, your ability to power is not over an unlimited distance. USB starts out at +5V at the source. You’re going to drop voltage equal to the camera’s current consumption times the cable resistance. I don’t know where the WYSE camera craps out in terms of input voltage, but you can’t afford to drop much voltage since you’re starting at +5V. Practically, 25ft USB power only cables are about the longest that are readily available. USB was just never meant to power over great distances. It’s a desktop interface.

If you’re interested in selling a product, it doesn’t matter how something is marketed., it matters how it is being used. And I’d guess the majority of these cameras are being used as security cameras. That is also btw why it has the built in alert feature so to say it isn’t marketed as a security camera is somewhat debatable.

1 Like

Hi EggMan

Has to be a story behind that moniker!

You are correct in that USB will only work at lengths of about 25 ft where POE is usable up to 333ft. Which is why I pointed out many times in this thread that with readily available adapters you can use POE with Wyze cameras right now with no modification if you need the distance.

I will have to disagree with you on your second point however. It very much matters how a device is intended to be used and not how it is (mis)used. There are many use cases not security related for the alerts. But I do agree there are a lot of products that DO market themselves as security cameras that probably should not be. This leads to a lot of confusion for the consumer sadly. That said I think it is admirable that Wyze has clearly and unequivocally stated they are not security devices.

The cameras are fantastic devices for most non security home uses and at a very affordable price point. I love my Wyze guys and they recently saved me a $250 bill from my condo association after I was accused of dumping and with footage from my Wyze camera was able to show it was NOT me! :grinning:

2 Likes

Yes, you can use a POE to USB Power adapter. I think you’re looking at $7 for the adapter and maybe $4 for the POE injector. So, you’re at roughly half the cost of the camera, and you’ve got ethernet running to your camera which is nearly a 100% reliable data path but also now 100% useless for data. It just seems a shame. Since a physical ethernet adds so little hardware cost, perhaps one day they might sell a version that does ethernet/POE and Wifi/USB Power. Honestly you’re looking at a few bucks worth of hardware costs. I’d certainly pay an extra $10 for that speaking for myself.

As to my second point, sure I guess it matters how you’re marketing cameras. But my point is, regardless of how you’re marketing them, if you’re in the business of selling cameras, it pays to be cognizant of how customers are actually using them. I think Wyse generally is. As I said, their alert on activity feature is obviously oriented towards a security application. I suspect that the reason they don’t officially say “yeah, it’s a security camera” is they don’t want the liability if they market it as such and someone breaks into your home and the alert didn’t notify you. But clearly if you want to sell more cameras it pays to be aware of how they’re actually being used and to facilitate that as much as possible.

I am the eggman, goo goo gah joob.,

Ring do make a usb & ethernet camera if you are set on a camera that does both

Are people wanting a RJ45 or M12 connection for the ethernet? I suppose you could copy another brand by using micro usb 3 & an adaptor

I suppose the main difference here is that I’m primarily talking about a wire free battery camera (as it’s in the testing stage) & @CCTVMan is only talking about a wired powered camera, 2 completely different things, yes you can use a battery cam powered but to make a powered cam wire free takes big batteries or batteries & solar panels

1 Like

I’ve just never seen a wire free battery camera that looked at all interesting, Especially for outdoor use. You aren’t going to get continuous recording and your wake on activity threshold is going to be high. I think if you’ll investigate user reviews of people that have had these type cameras installed any appreciable time you’ll find widespread dissatisfaction with the amount of recording they will do and the actual amount of battery life people are getting out of them. Particularly for a camera mounted high up under the eaves, I just have no interest whatsoever with getting up on a ladder to change or charge batteries on such a gadget.

Have you ever seen a game camera?

Like I said previously this is a forum for a powered camera so the clientele would be biased towards powered cameras
Yes there are a few that have made the wyze cam wire free but that’s a tiny ratio

To me it’s better to go the Arlo route, battery cam that records on motion but if plugged in (solar or AC to USB) then it becomes a constant recording cam is better than wired only that people mod in an attempt to make wire free

I own a game camera.

They typically have a PIR sensor which uses very little power and only turn on the camera part when they detect motion. Except for a few that have LTE cellular connections, they don’t have a way to stream the video off the camera in real time, and of course those that do have LTE have some monthly fee associated with them.

They’re good at what they do, but not really that usable to monitor a driveway or a porch in real time.

I can’t argue with you when you put it that way. :grin:

One would imagine the folks wearing the marketing hats at a company are always watching how their products are being used. I gave one as a gift to an elderly neighbor and showed her how to use the app etc. She was very pleased and knitted it a sweater because she keeps her house very cool.

But now you have my curiosity totally running away with me! I know that last bit must be from a song or TV show or movie? I’m dying to know now! So what’s behind TheEggMan inquiring minds want to know? :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I don’t think we’re talking about bias from people bought into powered cameras. Go look at the user forums for some of the popular battery powered wireless cams. You’ll find a lot of dissatisfaction amongst users with the amount of recording they end up supporting versus the battery life.

Yes, a solar panel is a step in the right direction. But, that adds costs and physical footprint on the side of your house. Honestly, wiring a ethernet cable through your attic to the eave of your house just isn’t a huge deal. And it gives you a vastly superior user experience when it’s all said and done versus any other solution.

Maybe ethernet cables are just scary unknowns to some people.

This discussion is of course all academic. Wyse says they will release their outdoor camera this year. The feature set has long since been cast in stone. It is what it is.

1 Like

The Beatles - I Am The Walrus

3 Likes

I KNEW I HAD HEARD THAT SOMEWHERE!

How could I have missed that? Oh well they say, er something, is the first, or maybe it was the third thing, anyone else want coffee?

1 Like

I have read through the forums & been active on some, I personally have 5 different camera systems

I know the pros & cons of the different systems
I live in a 3 story rendered property so I personally want to avoid drilling holes for cables & the height of the roof is to high which leaves me with battery cams or look through the window cams, both have disadvantages

I know I’m not a normal user case but not everyone is

Then your cameras aren’t going under the eaves I take it? Maybe you’ll mount them 8-10 ft above ground level?

It would be a boring world if we were all the same. :grinning:

I can imagine you have given your particular situation a good amount of thought. Do you find glare, especially at night to be an issue with through the window cameras?

It is always interesting to learn how other people tackle their particular circumstances. Often we learn a lot from others perspectives.

If we can help please let us know.

Blink twice if the outdoor cam being tested has at least 12 IR lights.

I find the pan cam to barely have enough IR for night vision indoors for a long room, and certainly not the v2.

Does a typical home have 30 outlets? You have to remember this product should work for as many people as possible. Not everyone will have a large number of unused outlets. Also, as I’ve already pointed out, tapping into lighting circuits is illegal in many jurisdictions plus a transformer plug as you showed above in the adverts for Arlo etc will not fit inside an typical Outdoor IP rated socket as the the typical transformer plug is too deep to allow the waterproof lid to close. Another potential issue here, even if you could find an IP rated outdoor socket able to accommodate a transformer plug, it would probably overheat in such a small enclosed space.

Bit puzzled by this. Why would you need an ethernet cable going up your lounge wall?

As I’ve already pointed out above, the beauty of using a poe hub is it can be sited potentially in a loft or cupboard out of sight with the cables for all the cameras exiting from the house at that one point through a single hole in the wall /eaves. All that’s required internally is a single ethernet cable to the hub from the pc’s location. In many homes that’s an office or bedroom, not a lounge.

Going down the USB power route as per the cameras you mentioned above means multiple power plugs adaptors (1 per camera) in every room near to a camera and a USB cable up a wall in every room with a power adaptor. That’s a lot of cables on view in your rooms as opposed to a single Ethernet from the pc to a hub, or to put it in simple terms - 6 USB powered cameras = 6 x USB power adaptors in sockets in 6 rooms in your house and 6 USB cables going up 6 walls plus 6 holes drilled in you external walls. The same 6 cameras using POE = 1 cable from the pc to hub location. 6 cables from hub location to the cameras but through a single hole and in single room which can be an unoccupied space such as a loft, or cupboard etc. Much more user aesthetically and user friendly.

I’ve had no bad experience of wireless. I know it’s limitations as do professionals which is why no professional installer or organisation touches it with a barge pole usually if it can be avoided. Users of the existing WYZE have commented on how recordings can be lost with a drop and cameras can fail to reconnect - it’s unreliable in that regard and can leave you with hours without coverage, the bandwidth and thus speed drops off with distance and through walls, plus the bandwidth is insufficient to stream both a main and sub stream at the required quality, with numerous cameras in play. Interference from nearby electrical devices etc can cause interference and drops.

That said, as said before, I understand the convenience of wireless to those who might be averse to having any wires for data, even USB and to that end, I don’t see any reason why the outdoor camera couldn’t potentially have both Wireless and POE giving the option to users as to which they use especially if quality settings were tailorable to the chosen transmission medium. That’s a way to please most people.

They don’t market it at all, as it isn’t out yet. :slight_smile: That said, the existing indoor camera clearly has it roots in security. The Wyze home page shows it being used to observe prowlers outside the house and babies in their play rooms. That sounds like a CCTV camera advert to me.

I would regard security as the number 1 reason for buying one of these cameras. People may have different many uses and there’s no reason why people shouldn’t use them for many different purposes. However, take a look at any of the web sites or pictures accompanying Ring, Nest, Arlo etc, and you’ll find they’re all marketed primarily if not exclusively as CCTV cameras for home security purposes, not trail cameras, wildlife cameras etc but security cameras as that’s where the main market lies. Again, no reason to accommodate so far as possible those other uses, but lets not be deluded into thinking people using a WYZE instead of a purpose designed trail cam is it’s primary market. It’s a niche use.

You’re right the security market is crowded, and what it lacks atm the moment is a cheap camera that can deliver the sort of quality seen from eg a Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE or in higher MP a HFW5241E-Z12E AI Varifocal Bullet. The company that can deliver that for $50 or $60, is onto a winner.

I agree the Wyze cams don’t have very powerful IR emitters to cover large spaces. But you can buy some very powerful IR illuminators inexpensively and use those. I do that with a PAN cam I mounted on my back deck. The illuminator turns on at sunset and off at sunrise. But you could trigger it with a PIR motion sensor.

I probably won’t fuss too much with the IR indoors, but if they don’t use at least 12 IR lights for an outdoor cam, it’s almost pointless.

I don’t know what to say to be honest. Good luck in finding what you are looking for. :slightly_smiling_face: