Multiple Users' Permissions for Shared Users

I think when sharing they should have regular or admin option so if your spouse wants to have complete access they can. For example my wife can only lock or unlock wyze lock i would like her to be able to do all the features on her separate account.

You are missing the point entirely.
What you described is what we call a work around. We want a fix.
My wife shouldn’t have to login as her to use her Wyze band and Wyze scale, then log out, ask me for a code and log in as me to view the cameras.

1 Like

I can’t believe this is actually a thing. I just realized my wife won’t be able to view camera playback on her account. I ordered a scale and created an account for her and now her camera privileges are limited. Wyze is so full of half baked ideas. May be returning the scale and both bands I just ordered.

There is no way to share rules in the app. You can share devices so other users can control them, but they can’t see or modify the rules that control the same devices. That doesn’t make sense to me.

1 Like

I have the issue of my Dad who I share my outdoor cameras with, he accidentally turns off our cameras. I want to have a view only option for sharing.

I’m not disagreeing with you that this would be a great option. I would still love to have you list a specific example of how this would be useful or important (such examples help make it more real to those in charge to see why they should consider it).

Here is an example: I have shared the devices with other people that live in my home, but if our schedules change the devices are coming on and off at the wrong times and they can’t modify the rules so they have to come to me in order to get it done.

I accidentally turned off at group of cameras that is shared with me, I moved that group of cameras all the way down to the bottom of my list of devices, it is very unlikely that will ever happen again and has not happened in the last year.
Maybe that will help your situation maybe not

Hi @Wyze,

I have a security based suggestion. Can the software team implement a split tear permission for shared devices. I share my in house cameras with my wife and daughter. I want my wife to have full access to turn the cameras on and off. And to view/delete recordings. For my daughter who is 6 should only be able to view the cameras and not be able to turn off and on or modify the recordings.

This would be great for everyone to have. And I find that without this in the sharing device security is lacking. As an IT and an engineer, I really really must have this in the app.

4 Likes

Bump

I would like the cameras to have an administrator mode like computers do.
Where if you are the person sharing cameras with someone you would be able to turn them off at times and they couldn’t turn them back on. There are some people that don’t need to be watching me every minute and I find it kind of creepy lol. I still need to share my cameras for other reasons but this to me would be a very important update.

1 Like

I’m late to the party.
Has this issue been solved by Wyze yet?
I think many people are realizing the collection of Wyze smart devices (camera, sensors, ectt) can allow us to do many unique things. For us, we found they are perfect as baby monitors. We have them set up in our kids rooms. We also have a nanny that comes almost every day to watch the kids because my wife and I both work and luckily they are still taking naps on most days. I’ve shared the kids bedroom cameras with the nanny so she can see when they wake up, but in doing this I’ve realized there’s no feature to limit the time she has access to them (or at least I can’t find it, it would be great if I’m wrong, please educate me). I’ve checked and it also doesn’t appear that you can set a rule to limit the time either. This means she could theoretically just turn it on from home at night and watch our kids sleeping? or us putting our kids to bed? …Doesn’t seem right. The other option is I have to manually cancel her access every day and then re-enable the next morning? Seems a little ridiculous to have to do that when we are talking about devices labeled as smart devices…that’s a hassle.

Anyway, this seems like a very simple feature to add, I’d be interested to hear ideas from some of the more tech savvy individuals who are likely in this community but here’s my take on it. You put in a option to set a schedule for and individual shared user’s access to the device based on your time zone …something like allow access to the camera from 1pm to 3pm on M-F that you could choose to have as recurring “event” each week until a selected date or indefinitely. You would have the ability to add multiple entries for this too…so if you wanted for some reason them to have different access on Tu/Th than you do on MWF then you could set up a rule for each of those. This would be almost identical to the way you set up a recurring event in a digital calendar. I think it’s simple enough and the correlation to the way digital calendars are used would make the learning curve for user adoption shorter and less painful.

Final thought, I also concur with the many people previously who have suggested different permissions or different levels of permissions for shared users, I think this is a critical component.

1 Like

You are not alone.

I totally understand the complexity that comes with sharing / not sharing different “admin” type features per camera, but I can’t wrap my head around why the line has been drawn short of the “view playback” feature. Literally the whole reason I’m sharing a camera is so that user can go see the video. Why would playback from the SD card be any more sensitive than motion events or especially live view?

My husband and I have the same issue. We both want to be administrators for our cameras using our own accounts. We have the Wyze scale so we each need our own account for that. I don’t want to have to keep logging in and out to use the different features on different devices.

2 Likes

Just imagine how lacking their internal permissions system of everyone’s footage. I would not trust this company with anything more than a camera pointed toward a public area.

Hi Meg, welcome to Wyze,

Please note you are replying to “Loki” – great handle, the mischief maker – from 2018. Loki proposes a work around. Now any work around is more or less unsatisfactory by definition. If the pantry is out of apples we COULD work a bunch of potatoes into the apple pie recipe. Eh…

The thing is that this issue has been lingering for 2 years. During that time the Wyze system of devices (and uses, and user-accounts) has gotten more complex. As you point out, there are things like the scales used by individuals, not just households. The new physical devices are getting effort and attention. The new FEATURES (like tiered permissions) are not. The new processes are getting worked. The OLD processes aren’t getting fixed.

We have this community to elevate proposals and priorities to the Wyze project directors. But having this one linger out there for years – well, some of us are getting pretty darned tired of potato-pie.

2 Likes

In terms of privacy it would be great to have the option to share on a specific schedule. For example if you want to give access/share with a family member only during the day but not at night etc. It applies for divorced parents, baby monitoring, security etc

For anyone interested in this, Wyze recently mentioned they are working on something called "role-based sharing” that will be released no sooner than next spring. Role-based sharing is

sharing between family members and such. It’s the ability to set individual codes.

So presumably, It sounds like you as the admin could set a group of permissions called “baby-sitter” and share those with anyone who babysits, and another called “spouse” that gives them full access with everything selected as permitted, and another for “Kids” that your kids can do some things but be restricted from others, and so on. That sounds great. I hope it works just like that. I would be VERY supportive of this. I hope with this, they will allow options like access to SD card playback or not, and other things that aren’t currently possible. It sounds like the focus is primarily for use with the security system. Hopefully you don’t have to be subscribed to that in order to use the future role-based sharing, but regardless, I thought I’d post a notice in here that they finally confirmed they are working on something in this direction with the intent to release it in the future!

2 Likes

I’d like to see an option when sharing your camera that the person who it is shared to CANNOT turn the camera on or off. If it is on they can see the livestream. They can view events. But I’d like an option, maybe a toggle on each camera “Allow shared person to turn on/off” and the owner of the camera decides whether to allow them access to that feature.

2 Likes