Home Assistant Integration

Yea but the Wyze Sense does nothing for the Lock or the Cameras. Personally I don’t use Wyze Sense as I don’t like proprietary products. For that reason I stick to 433 MHz and zigbee/mqtt for all my motion and and contact sensors. I’ve been able to utilize the lock just through zigbee thank god as @JoshMulliken api interface doesn’t seem to want to pull updated information for the lock. Let alone lock or unlock it. As far as the cameras. I did see that someone got them working. But didn’t explain how, his current fork doesn’t work, and has not been merged with the original so cannot be utilizited there either. My suggestion, add the unofficially accessible API but leave it disabled. Let us turn it on and try and use it with the explanation that is may not work. I’m not fluent enough to program it myself but would be happy to work with anyone to accomplish this. I would just like to see if we can get cameras to integrate without RSTP. I’d love to actually be able to see my Outdoor Cam in Home Assistant.

But again, I won’t be buying anything more from Wyze until I see some movement in getting more compatible with Home Assistant. There are just too many other cheap options out there now days

Hope Wyze pays attention or they are going to loose their market share.

1 Like

Pretty sure they are more worried about a few bucks here and there from the people who aren’t smart enough to understand there are better options that are willing to pay a subscription price. This seems to be the norm anymore. I just cancelled my 2 wyze cam v3s because I can almost guarantee they aren’t willing to give up a penny of subscription money to ensure they stay relevant in the smart home business. Their loss. Like you said zigbee integrates just about everywhere and only costs at most $2 more per sensor to not have to deal with this crap.

Just by eufy cams and aqara motion/hall sensors and call it a day. Let this company die out and hope another company comes along with some sense.

1 Like

Wyze Business Model
Step1: Rebrand cheaper Xiaomi parts to keep hardware costs low and entice DIY enthusiasts & developers (ie. loyal fanbase)
Step2: Lock fanbase into software/wyze app ecosystem - make it convenient
Step3: Expand device ecosystem and futher lock in - software still free but slowly charge more for features
Step4: Block and tackle continued requests for OPEN API - never should be implemented because it loosens grip on Wyze ecosystem lock in
Step5: Continue to build brand loyalty by making software continually feature rich (even if some stuff eventually becomes paid) and simplified BUT NEVER OPEN

… don’t think we’ll ever get an open API guys, If homeassistant is ultimately going to be what you center your home automation on, wyze probably isn’t the best way to go unless you enjoying hacking things together.

to wyze’s defense - every other home automation/IoT player is doing the same thing pretty much. the software is really the money maker in the long run so i understand them not opening it completely up

But i will still hope and pray for an open API - maybe 2020 will throw us a giant curve ball and gift us something good in the end.

Wish there was anything you said was wrong. But ultimately your dead on man.

If a company did open up and brand itself based upon those ideas, they’d have a hell of a market open to them

As an alternative we can fund the guy who developed the Wyze hub integration with direct plugin to the HA VM/Machine. Maybe he can stabilize it to the point that we don’t actually need Wyze to have an official API.

1 Like

They do not rebrand Xiaomi parts, they do source them from the same company that makes them for Xiaomi.

1 Like

Well maybe the should slow down production of new devices and instead fix it so that the ones already available are in a working condition for home automation. The way I see it the entire line up is broken until they have a working API.

They should really be focusing on fixing their existing problems such as their cloud reliability (or lack of) before launching new products.

For example, I have had an issue accessing some of my devices since the service outage last week, and their “support” claimed that they would get back to me within 2-3 days.

How am I supposed to trust their new products will be reliable if my current devices aren’t.

At least with a local API, I can keep my devices working when their cloud service is down.

2 Likes

I agree with you but from what I understand, their product development is isolated and hence the issues don’t go across, even though it is a very bad experience nonetheless. I think this is also a reason why they don’t or maybe even can’t release an API.

Old post, I know, but keep an eye open for Starlink, buddy has it in Washington, getting 240Mbs/80Mbs

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’m also concerned that those that don’t upgrade their v2s to v3s may experience what will be legacy support levels (aka no new development of features and only major bug fixes) which is problematic if any devices have existing bugs that are not BSDs and therefore are simply left.

It’s in Wyze best interest to help advance the current 3rd party HA sensor integrations. I have 4 motion sensors and 15 windows/door sensors installed an integrated with HA. With my sensors I’ve had the battery die in 12 sensors, of which 9 didn’t recover with a battery replacement. After the batteries died, 4 of the devices were just non responsive, No lights blinking, no communications to the hub. The other sensors lost their MAC address. They communicate with the hub, but report with a MAC address of zero. Home assistant sees a battery value when motion is reported or the sensor reports open/close. My understanding is that the sensors also report a battery level event when the battery is low. The 3rd party integration doesn’t appear to get any indication related to battery unless the sensor changes state. Most people indicate that once the battery level is reported as 80% by the 3rd party integration the battery is dead. This seems about right as most of my sensors died in the low 80%. Wyze was very responsive and replaced all of my failed sensors. Had the 3rd party integration reported the battery level correctly for all of the sensor, including sensors on windows that don’t get opened, then I would have replaced the batteries and hopefully would have saved Wyze having to replace the product. The individual who developed the 3rd party sensor integration is no longer working the code. Part of the reason he provided for moving on was the sensor failuring issue. Too bad Wyze didn’t interface with him prior to his moving on. I believe someone else has taken over the project. While I appreciate how Wyze responded to the product issues I encounter I’m conflicted about continuing with the product. What good is an affordable sensor if you can’t depend on it working in your security system. Wyze it’s past time to get involved with HA.

2 Likes

I’m in same boat. I love the costs of the sensors, that’s why I bought up all the stock I could find, then before storing my spares I put new lithium cells in them.

The fact that the Mac is lost on them when the battery goes dead really surprised me, that should be on non-volatile memory, but there we are.

I have purposely held off on moving them to my HA as I had a chat with the developer when he decided to pull off the project, and yes failure was an issue.

I have yet to find a good equivalent anywhere close to the Wyze sense price point, and my second choice was just discontinued by Samsung ($18 multi-sensors that had contact, tilt, vibration, and temperature).

I’m currently relying on the boxes of stock I purchased as redundancy, only use top quality button batteries, and hoping for the best.

Love to have someone turn us on to a better option!!

I have 4 contact sensors and one motion sensor died due to low battery. Contacted wyze and agent said will get back to me but didn’t. After I contact them again, replied that mine was out of warranty. I said this is a design flaw, they agreed to replace mine. Upon received, I found they only gave me 1 contact sensor instead of 4. Not really want to waste time and contact wyze again.

I did setup low battery notification but as you said the integration only triggered when there is open/close or motion events. So if the sensor has no event for long time then still could die. Best bet is set up remind yourself to replace battery every 6 months or so.
Also that integration is not that stable, sometime it died silently. Not frequently but it happened to me yesterday.
Really hope there is native integration to HASS!

Check out the aqara sensors you can grab them on alibaba for about $8.50 each. If you’re using home assistant don’t bother getting the aqara gateway for them and instead grab a husbzb-1 which can handle both zigbee and zwave.

The aqara sensors will last longer than the wyze sensors anyways as zigbee uses less energy than wifi does.

Hopefully there’s enough of a mass exodus fr wyze for them to learn how to bring forth a proper home automation device that doesn’t just die randomly 1 day and can also be used with an actual home automation hub that’s up to snuff.

1 Like

Ordered some Aqara sensors over the holiday.

Thanks for the pointer!!

1 Like

I’ve alway found the Wyze stuff to be really nice but the MAC issue has caused the maintainer to drop support for the HomeAssistant (unofficial) module.

Without official support for the devices in HA, either by communicating via network to the camera or plugging the sense module directly into HA, it’s not really a good solution for me. I’ll go for the Zigbee/Zwave devices even though they’re more expensive and often bigger.

I don’t mind that Wyze has gone its own way with regard to wireless but they can’t be an island on their own and relying on 3rd party things like IFTTT isn’t always an option (especially now that they’re starting to charge fees).

Maybe official HA support isn’t something they want to do but maybe an official API would be enough to encourage 3rd party support.

Same. I just ordered the Aqara sensors. I only ordered 4 to test. Going to be expensive to replace the 24+ sensors I have now from Wyze…but it is what it is…

1 Like

From my experience they work just as good if not better. They’re only slightly larger and only a couple bucks more expensive. If you have any problems with signal quality getting to a far away sensor just grab a cheap zigbee wall socket or any zigbee device that acts as a repeater for the signal.

The more I see this thread go on with no response from wyze the more I’m inclined to believe they really just don’t give a [Mod Edit]. So maybe try and sell the sensors to some unsuspecting person that’s newer to home automation to recoup a few bucks to out towards real home automation gear.

It’s pretty apparent that they are not monitoring this thread and probably not even reading through any of the feature requests. They’re way too busy pumping out broken products to deal with public relationships.

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

Aqara motion sensor sells $19 at Amazon which is expensive.