Home Assistant Integration

I actually haven’t had the MAC problem with motion sensors; perhaps the larger battery helps. It’s the contact sensors for which there’s no similarly priced replacement. It’s a weighing of my time to swap out a dead device every months or so, assuming I even notice that it’s no longer sending events, vs the higher cost of other providers.

And I expect Wyze is fully aware of this thread. I’ve done startup hardware businesses myself – it’s a huge PITA and careful assignment of limited resources. I’m sure they feel great personal pain every time one of their product fails due to this hardware bug.

We need to treat them with respect and appreciation for what they’re doing. If they don’t ever provide native support for Home Assistant, I’d bet money that it’s due to limited resources (i.e. “opportunity cost”) rather than any disrespect towards the project or it’s users.

They sell for $8.50 on AliExpress.

1 Like

You can buy aqara contact sensors for $8.50 each on AliExpress. It’s only a couple bucks more and has full integration into most platforms.

1 Like

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!

Considering this is now a discontinued product doesn’t look like we will be getting an api

3 Likes

I’d bet money it is because they want you to stay within their ecosystem. Some people don’t mind only using 1 platform while others want the ability to pick their own and have it all work together.

Over 400 replies, wow. I’ll add one more. I’m currently using tons of devices from the sense line and had my first one die - quite a headache to get it back online, but I did.

Wyze should know that people like me running hass.io will NEVER adopt a closed or cloud-based ecosystem. Therefore, we should NOT be considered a loss when we choose to use a home assistant integration with wyze devices rather than the whole wyze ecosystem. As the discussion above indicates, we’re looking for alternatives, and there aren’t any good ones. So don’t make this harder for us, embrace the opportunity.

I like Wyze, and I hope they eventually realize that they serve two completely different types of consumers and are in danger of losing one of them.

3 Likes

Likewise here, I have multiple Wyze devices and would love to have the possibility to integrate in 3rd party solutions, such as Home Assistant and OpenHab.

Still, you have fantastic products and an increasing/attractive lineup. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

+1000

I’ll settle for a simple wyze to home assistant video integration like ring has.

Would be great if I could have access to their entire ecosystem via hassio

2 Likes

I’m an early adopter with many Wyze products but have limited my purchases because the refusal to release the api for home assistant. Until this changes the v3 cameras will be one of my last. What good are smart home products that limit how you can interact with it.

3 Likes

I’m moving to a new home in the near future, unfortunately Wyze will probably not make the move with me as I am going to keep building on my Home Assistant system and wyze just does integrate with it.

5 Likes

We’ll, I have 8 wyze camera’s that integrated to Home Assistant and all sensors I used is also wyze. Guess what! It’s gonna be a waste because I’m not going to change my Home Assistant Ecosystem just to switch to Wyze Ecosystem just to make them work. I’d rather buy from others if they don’t integrate it to Home Assistant. What are they gonna loss anyways. If they open it, people who uses home assistant will definitely get there sensors. from wyze. and I definitely buying more is they do. Please do something that will benefit both sides.

Hopefully they will learn from their predecessors (i.e. ring) and open things up. A closed system won’t work long term, even if it is very aggressively priced. Heck, keep the video cloud service running and charge for it, Same with monitoring. just give an API for software like Home Assistant to do some really cool things with everything Wyze releases.

Such is the landscape in Smart Homes. There are many new players, everyone wants to do everything and sooner or later, companies are going to collapse because they can’t keep up, or made obsolete by competitors. I like it very much that they have good hardware, or at least some of it. I’m not sure digressing into things like headphones, smart-plugs and smart watches is a wise (wyze) decision, but only time will tell. I have a large collection of their devices (smart bulbs, cameras, bathroom scale, sensors, …), was an early adopter of few of their devices as well … but now I’m having some doubts as to the future of this company. I hope they prove us right and open up their API. It’s a win-win and the only problem they might encounter then is not being able to keep up with the demand for their products.

To their benefit though, I recall reading somewhere that they have limited software development resources and must prioritize on what is it they need to work on next. For example, they partnered with an AI company Xnor.ai sometime back, but then last year Apple acquired xnor, and Wyze had to scramble to recoup at least some of the functionality (Person Detection).

For now it seems their emphasis is on affordable (yet good quality) hardware … which the folks shopping at Home Depot and MicroCenter get attracted to first. Nothing wrong with that, let’s hope that they keep an open eye (and mind) on the real future needs and directions of this technology/trend.

A while back I invested in 3× Logitech Skype cameras ($600) for talking to family overseas. Few months later, Microsoft acquired Skype (then turned it into Teams), and those cameras are now obsolete. The real problem here is the big players (Apple/Microsoft/Google/Amazon), who are greedy for acquisition and growth, and the small players as well who want to sell and move on and retire (xnor, Fitbit, …).

Us? we simply are stuck in the middle, making both of them filthy rich … such is Capitalism.

These are fluid/dynamic times, for big and small players alike. The newly formed 'Smart Home Working Group; (Amazon, Apple, Google, ZigBee) is likely to throw other curved balls as all those are big players and more interested in ‘imposing’ their technology than opening it up… Stay Tuned

2 Likes

We have all been screaming that at @XuLi and all the other dev’s over the team for months now. They give us drum roll new wyze sense with still no word on local control/api/or otherwise integrating with home assistant. The people who work with home assistant would do the work, if you just give us a clue how the heck you’re designing them. We even went though the effort of tracking down spec sheets for the wyze lock to find out it’s zigbee, lucky us, we can trick an open source hub to link to it, we have done extraordinary work decompiling code, backwards engineering already. Do YOU REALLY THINK WE ARE NOT GOING TO JUST LEAVE? AFTER YOU CLEARLY STATING THE CURRENT VERSION OF THE SENSORS IS BROKEN? AND EXPECT YOU TO DO BETTER NEXT TIME? OPEN YOUR API, OR DIE TRYING. Literal coding mentors, tutors, coders, designers, and engineers use these products, with home assistant. We use home assistant because we ONLY, AND I REALLY MEAN ONLY, Respect control of our devices, local (no cloud, no internet, [Mod Edit] ) control, and PRIVACY, PRIVACY, and PRIVACY.

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

3 Likes

How about we take a bit of a constructive approach and stop the nonsensical threats and the like… unless that has been tried and did not get anywhere…

Bitching at them in this thread … am not sure it’ll accomplish much. But, then again, opinions vary.

Can we meet them half-way through? i.e., here is what we need, and we can ‘help’ you get there …

I’m sure they’re aware of the implications of their decisions (to ignore providing an API). Did they say No Way … or simply have not responded because busy herding other cats?

Thoughts ?

They’ve vaguely responded before and it didn’t seem to be a priority for them. I don’t even think it’s on their long term roadmap. They’re busy releasing new products that fulfill the mission of “cheap, accessible smart home for everyone” and this “Open API” or “Home Assistant” thing is probably just for nerds in their view and not worth the effort. The other integration requests (Samsung Smart Things and HomeKit) have supposedly been researched and then ignored because deemed too difficult or not important enough. The only thing we’re all getting is IFTTT and the crappy built in integrations.

1 Like

They recently commented on Reddit when someone asked about HomeKit:

“We are still in negotiations with Apple regarding HomeKit support. Sadly, we aren’t able to make any promises at this time but we have been making improvements on a number of our products that would improve the odds for HomeKit integration in the future.”

A follow up question about Home Assistant (no negotiations needed) got this reply:

“It’s not something we currently have planned but it is under discussion.”

4 Likes

Thank you @anis.kadri. If they managed to ‘elude’ this issue for this long, I wouldn’t be too hopeful.

The irony in their answer is that HomeKit is not the most widespread HA system out there, unless they’re after getting their products sold at Home-Depot to boost sales with Apple fanatics.

Then again, many companies have come and gone … we’ll see.

Zigbee and a conbee / raspbee and a raspberry pi, home assistant. Badabing, badaboom. That’s my next step, I’ve moved on from Wyze security products, They failed to provide me with any reassurance I’ll be taken care of as a DIY customer. Onto Zigbee sensors, at least they are pretty cheap too. I just find it laughable they are marketing add on services, when the services for security … are not secure. It took them 6 months to update my RTSP firmware with the newest patch, and even then it was an old build by the time it was released. They want to be a small company with no resources? Fine, have less. All I’m saying is if they had some semblance of open source firmware/code, they would be competing with the big names. Nope, all locked away tight. Wonder who they are talking to on the back end?