Home Assistant Integration

Either way I’m pretty bummed that I can’t use any of this stuff in my home automation system. I just pre-ordered 2 of the new v3 cams and planned to get more. I also just got the scale as well which has no way to integrate. I heard there is a way to get sensors to work but until a full implementation is available I can’t see getting the sensors or anymore cameras. And now I’m debating if I should just cancel my pre-order for the cameras since a person above just said that the rtsp stream cuts out constantly.

Yes, good point. I don’t mind (as much) a cloud API for something like the camera alerts, but for things like motion-based lighting, it absolutely has to be local. There is no negotiating that simply because of latency and dependency.

4 Likes

I also think a well documented and publicly accessible api would be great.

+1 for API

2 Likes

For everybody talking about an API, there is a dedicated wishlist thread about that: API for Download and Control

4 Likes

+1 for API! I love the Wyze hardware and seeing all the new stuff coming out is great. Can’t say enough good things about the products. But the fact is that they don’t cover everything ‘smart’ in the house and never will, and being able to work with other platforms opens them up for so many people. I run Home Assistant to control all the random different technologies, and having a separate app for a few random things is terrible.

+1 for Home Assistant Integration!

1 Like

Thanks for the link… and the encouragement to go VOTE… the +1 activity here does not “count”

+1

I raised the HA integration (or more generically, an open secure API) requirement several years ago in some survey after I bought my first Wyze Cam (1) in the early days of the company.

I have bought a few more cams that I basically only set up when we go on vacation to watch the empty house.

I want local control, i.e., independence from cloud services run by someone else for day to day home automation. So I never bought any of the other Wyze products (okay, I did buy some KN95 face masks).

I’d be happy to pay somewhat more upfront for products that don’t lock me into someone else’s services.

I have no issue wirh my RTSP streams after changing the channel on my wifi (something was interfering at upper range). Using them with BlueIris and works great - even feed them from BI into HA

+1 for API. It’d be lovely to be able to easily change modes on the cameras from the API, including PTZ control from it, even if that requires local API (MQTT is common and lightweight). Doesn’t need to be HA-specific, but having the full flexibility with your awesome products would be great.

1 Like

+1 For API access and direct HA integration of all products. Honestly, depending on if this is done will depend on if I purchase anything more in the future or if I suggest this brand to clients or colleagues. Please do as the community asks! Thanks

1 Like

This is where I am currently sitting. I already have motion and hall sensors all over the place but I really liked the look of the wyze stuff. Was planning re-outfit the entire house with a window/door break sensor on each window and door. I guess I’ll see how fast I end up returning the cameras I just preordered.

I’m not keeping hope for an integration though as others have already pointed out to me wyze is trying to cash in on the whole crappy cloud stuff. So it’s very doubtful we will ever see an integration.

I guess my advice at this point is to just spend the extra couple bucks on xiaomi sensors and maybe eufy cams or something similar.

1 Like

Literally any zigbee motion/door sensor. a conbee/raspbee. and hassio zha. Easy money.

1 Like

I think this is more for people who already have invested in them. Although the way things are going I doubt many I’m the Maker community will continue to support them. And that’s what started this company. So yes it’s wise to start moving away from Wyze! See that there what I just done!?!??! LOL

NodeMCU all the way anymore

1 Like

With so many new products coming out, I highly doubt they have resources to work on API. Heard there is also an wristband on the way.

You’d think so, yeah, but they are hiring and they move in mysterious ways. Who expected a V2 RTSP firmware update at this late stage? Give credit where it’s due. :slight_smile:

There’s got to be some API the app is communicating with for the products, whether it’s publicly-documented or not.

There’s an api and it’s been reversed engineered, but a lot of features are sitting behind other servers and cannot be accessed.

I worked on the Wyze lock api with a friend and we couldn’t get trough.

There is. Community Devs have utilized it already. The problem is: with an unofficial API, there is no telling when or how it will change, what it will break and whether it’s possible to fix it. It’s not good for stability, and someone could spend a lot of time making something awesome that gets broken with a single API change from the vendor which they’re not obliged to support in any way.

Probably the most stable “unofficial” use of Wyze stuff is connecting Wyze Sense bridge directly to home assistant. This does not rely on an API, nor the internet, nor Wyze for that matter, so it’s not likely to stop working overnight.

2 Likes