Home Assistant Integration

A level answer.
I agree it’s likely, and I look forward to it.
In the meantime, I’ll continue to lean heavily toward what gives me local control for the sake of speed, security, and robustness.

3 Likes

The lack of an api is precisely why I have one Wyzecam and won’t invest in any other Wyze products even though they seem great. Too hard to integrate with other devices and I won’t be trapped in the Wyze ecosystem.

1 Like

I’m still swooping by and taking a look at the comments periodically. :slight_smile:

We don’t have plans for Home Assistant yet but I’ll send it up the food chain. Thanks for the feedback and for directing folks to vote on this topic!

4 Likes

Just make a public API no need to make it specifically for home assistant the community will jump all over that…

9 Likes

That’s exactly right.

2 Likes

@UserCustomerGwen I think the primary catalyst for the recent uptick in interest is the fact IFTTT has decided to more deeply monetize their product.

People who like to DIY things are always looking for the cheapest option, which is why Wyze is perfectly positioned to disrupt the diy home automation market. Not working with home assistant, at least eventually, would be a mistake in my opinion.

6 Likes

An API is all that’s needed for Home Assistant. I think that’s why there are some frustrated responses in this thread. Almost a 1000 votes for this and it still sits at “maybe-later”.

5 Likes

And what’s adding to the frustration is how easy it would be to get it done, people have already hacked their way to making APIs to communicate with the devices although they’re not perfect it’s possible, all wyze needs to do is make it official so the developers can work out some of the issues their having.

2 Likes

I don’t understand how a company can be in the smart home business and not have some sort of API.

If they think it will make their devices more vulnerable, all they need to do is give is a way to manage API token using the account dashboard. People who are going to use this already understand the potential security risks like a custom integration potentially being compromised.

It’s not like Wyze’s current apps and devices can’t be easily compromised.

Almost every other company that I know of allows at least partial control of their devices via API.

If Wyze had a public API, they would probably get less feature requests for minor things or specific use cases and would be able to better focus their efforts on valuable products and features.

The main reason I think they don’t want to give us access is, their main revenue stream is hardware. They’re probably afraid that giving us the ability to integrate with other manufacturers would make us less likely to purchase their hardware (like sense devices).

This, however isn’t true. At least for me. Wyze still produces hardware at a much lower price point thsn others. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Wyze if I had open API access.

It’s a no brainier, give us API access, and we will make features that work for us and share them with the community.

4 Likes

@UserCustomerGwen, right. All that is needed is an official API - Ideally one that can function locally (for speed and security). The community would have a Home Assistant integration ready in a heartbeat. There is already an unofficial API. Just give it a polish, produce a little documentation and publish it (Like @jsheeler mentioned)

2 Likes

If Wyze released a public API and the community built out Home Assistant integration, would we be able to use both Wyze servers and our local instance of HA at the same time, or would we have to pick a data storage location? I like the sound of faster speed with local control, but I don’t have DuckDNS set up yet to view my HA dashboard when I’m out of the house and I like to be able to control my lights remotely/view window and door sensor status/control my lock/view my cameras.

1 Like

Right. API access will only make Wyze more appealing. Right now, I use Wyze Sense directly connected to Home Assistant because it’s much faster and much smarter (ex: turn on lights when motion detected during X timeframe while ambient light from outside is less than Y, and adjust color temperature relative to something like sun’s position).
If there were a locally functional API, I could possibly leave the Wyze Bridge connected to a Wyze Cam rather than having to sever it completely from the Wyze app as mentioned.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I’m not a huge fan of recurring fees, but $5/month isn’t too bad

You don’t necessarily need DuckDNS, although there is some appeal there. You really just need a valid SSL cert either through Let’s Encrypt or on your own and then some port forwarding/translation so that you’re exposing something other than the default port for HA externally (because that’s almost never a good idea). Otherwise, you could utilize something like an always-on VPN for your phone so that not just anyone can port scan your public IP and notice that there’s an HA login page.
Currently, I just use Let’s Encrypt and an FQDN for a domain I already own, but I’ve considered trying to use either a VPN or a reverse proxy or something for added security.

Not to mention: even if HA is more or less isolated from the web, if you’re passing objects to something like HomeKit, which has remote access natively available, you can already do much of what you’d want/expect while away from home (lights on/off, trigger scenes, lock unlock doors, open/close garage, receive alerts, etc.).

2 Likes

I know it’s an old post, but I’m having a problem trying to get Wyze rtsp to work with motioneye.

I define the rtsp stream and no go.

I have verified using tinycam pro that the cams feed is running, and no issues. Could you share your settings/process to get motioneye to connect to the camera?

Are you sure TinyCam is accessing the cams via RTSP and NOT via its native Wyze credential compatibility? You have RTSP firmware running on the cams?

I would like for Wyze to alert me to motion alerts over Google devices such as Google mini.

1 Like

You need to put a /live at the end of the URL when you setup the camera. Also, once you add a new camera to MotionEye, you can’t update the connection settings so if it does not work you need to delete it and try again. I included an image of the install window on motioneye with one of my URLs included. Hopefully this helps. The username and password are what you setup on the Wyze app when you enabled RTSP. You can’t put them in the URL for MotionEye (It will reform the actual URL with them in it to make the connection)

2 Likes

What will it take to get this item moved from the Wishlist to the Road Map?

@UserCustomerGwen can we get some more traction here?

Let’s cut to the chase… Many of your loyal customers are developers or at LEAST tech savy consumers. We know that implementing a restful, well documented, open API is not a trivial task. HOWEVER, we also know it’s not an impossible task. What we, the community, are looking for here is progress and commitment to the values Wyze claims to founded on.

Based on the Core Values from the Wyze Story, copied at the end of this post directly from the website, something like an open API is EXACTLY what the Smart Home community is MOST passionate about. AND considering that IFTTT has now changed to a subscription-based mode… They are no longer an even remotely viable solution.

For that matter, Home Assistant is the NUMBER 10 most popular open-source project in the world. NOTE: As mentioned in their blog post… This is especially impressive because most of the other things on the list are related to, or maintained by billion-dollar companies.

What has me confused… is what could possibly be keeping a company whose goal is “to become the most customer-centric smart home technology company” from providing a basic service that the customers are CLEARLY asking for…

To reiterate, my question for you @UserCustomerGwen is simple. What will it take to get this item moved from the Wishlist to the Road Map

Give us hope.

If we need more votes or views… Let us know. The Home Assistant Community is one of the most passionate I’ve ever known. Give us a chance to champion your cause.

Top 10 Open Source Projects

Source - State of the Union 2019: Recap - Home Assistant

Wyze Core Values Statement

The founding members of the company met when they were working at Amazon and they brought the core Amazon principles to Wyze Labs. It’s our goal to become the most customer-centric smart home technology company. We’re passionate about providing customers access to high-quality products at great prices. We relentlessly keep costs low by partnering with the world’s most efficient manufacturers. We cut out “channel fat” by selling directly from our own website. And, unlike our competitors, we don’t seek a high profit margin over our cost base, passing on all of these savings to our customers.

And this is just the beginning. As we grow, we will continue to launch high quality, affordable smart home products that enrich people’s lives and make great technology accessible to everyone.

Source - WYZE IS MAKING GREAT TECHNOLOGY ACCESSIBLE TO EVERYONE – Wyze Labs, Inc.

13 Likes