Home Assistant Integration

Right now, we’re experiencing some issues with our existing integrations and have some open tasks for them as well. Last I heard, we aren’t likely to add another integration until we have the existing issues resolved. But I really dig how you presented this and will share it with the team. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Google’s integration process appears to be obnoxious, but I wonder if your integration woes aren’t somewhat self inflicted. Your sense hub doesn’t talk to your WCO hub, nor does the door lock hub. You have all these products that work well on islands, and within the app they integrate, but they all use different protocols, and require different hubs. Thus linking to integration platforms, and by proxy, creating an API is more complex. Just assuming, but I don’t think it’sa leap.

3 Likes

Since Wyze has partnered with different hardware manufacturers in the past for different products, that could explain why the hubs don’t talk to each other. I’d love for my Home Assistant hub to be able to do that, and if not, if Wyze released a hub for the hubs that could also act as a NAS, I’d buy it.

I’m not extremely familiar with how APIs work, but what if Wyze created and released multiple separate APIs for the products that don’t natively communicate instead of one larger/more complicated one that integrates them all? I feel like the HA community could leverage both options, but if it’d be faster and easier for Wyze to release multiple APIs for each product line, that could be a viable option.

1 Like

I have 10 diff Wyze products, and am finally realizing I want a central place to manage all my smart devices…after tons of hours researching the options out there, it sure seems like Home Assistant is the way to go for all the serious smart home DIY out there…I just assumed Wyze would be usable with HA since they seem like the classic start up trying to fight the big guys out there…I was really shocked they have not allowed this to happen yet…please make this happen as it doesnt make sense for me to keep buying Wyze products as I dont see a future with them if HA isnt on your roadmap…very sad to hear…:frowning:

2 Likes

I too would really like to see wyze integration into home assistant.

3 Likes

There are two HA integrations which address part of this, both approach it in different ways. One uses an unofficial Wyze API. The other by-passes Wyze and communicates directly with an attached sense bridge. Neither supports all products.

This one actually allows you to control plugs, bulbs and interacts with sensors.

This one ONLY interacts with the sensors by direct communication.

4 Likes

Thank you @WildBill, bookmarked.

Unfortunately though neither seem to work with the cameras, which is the main bit a lot of us want.

1 Like

Why in gods name would Wyze not allow / want users to be able to integrate with HA? It is such a huge community of users…I know personally that I will stop buying Wyze products now that I know they wont work long term…seems crazy

1 Like

Understood, but it is a start. I was just surprised to see any kind of API. I’m somewhat disappointed with the Wyze products. I’m testing these HA intergrations to see if I can actually use the sensors in conjunction with other vendor’s products. I have all my cameras running RTSP and connected to a Raspberry Pi running MotionEyeOS, as well as using the Wyze software. (Side note: MotionEye is another integration for HA.) Neither is perfect. Really looking for something that works when my rural, wireless internet goes down, which happens far more frequently than I like. Not many other choices for ISP where I live.

I have been using the kevinvincent approach for a while now. I use the door and motion sensors for my elderly father to turn on night lights and such when he is up and moving around at night. When it works it is great, however it drops offline frequently and I have to reboot my home assistant from every 3 days to 2x/day to keep them working, which is not always feasible for me to do.

I found that once I moved my HA instance from a pi to a vm on my unraid server, the wyze stuff was much more stable

1 Like

Since it doesnt sound like Wyze is going to allow us to do HA integration, can people give recommendations for the next cheapest brand of switches/ sensors / cameras that do allow full integration with HA…I would like to be able to pick one brand and just stay with them for simplicity sakes…

2 Likes

I was about to purchase the newly announced Wyze products before I decided against it because there is no Home Assistant or 3rd party integration other than IFTTT which is unacceptable for me. My home has a lot of smart products from different vendors and I don’t want to be locked in to a specific vendor, nor do I want to download/use 15 different apps for each smart home vendor. I find the wyze android app to be extremely buggy as start adding in a lot more products to it.
I use one of the unofficial wyze-ha integrations coupled with tinycam on an old android tablet but it’s hacky at best.
I really appreciate Wyze’s mission of making the smart home accessible to the average person but I’d rather pay more money and not be locked in.

1 Like

I am holding out on the thermostat and the doorbell till I get some update from Wyze on this.

Thanks, I’ll take another swing at it.

I’m trying to determine if it is related to a limitation of my RaspberryPi 4 2GB that HomeAssistant runs on (although others seem to have been able to get Motioneye to handle a few cams on Pi’s, just don’t know if they tried RTSP Wyze cams).

I have a Google Coral usb dongle and am trying to determine if I can leverage the video processing to offload burden from the Pi, and implement full object identification using ML/AI, but that’s a longer term project.

Are you running HomeAssistant? This is very easy to accomplish using HA

1 Like

I purchased a Vine thermostat simply because of the closed system that is Wyze. Until they realize that their ecosystem would be complimented by opening up protocols, and their C-Suite changes their determination to simply flood their market with as many new shiny objects, while failing to fix and stabilize their existing ecosystem.

Example. their door lock is a bloody design disaster, they required a proprietary hub, use a proprietary corrupted Zigbee protocol, and once again do NOTHING but blow corporate air up our collective…

Sorry for the rant, but they are currently using Bluetooth, WiFi, 900mhz, and Zigbee variants, and instead of simply publishing their mission statement and integration plans, all we ever get is put it on the wishlist page and hope for a miracle

I would bet that their is a snowballs hope in hell that they will voluntarily open up and standardize. Their new investors want a monthly stipend stream, their move to Cloud only, pay-2-play models flies in the face of any possible integrations or open standards.

When your fattening the cow for slaughter, it’s best to not become attached…

VC’s come with their own special flavor of corporate greed, and unfortunately I see Wyze position for acquisition by pumping up the portfolio by any means necessary.

4 Likes

a lot of truth in your words…discouraging but truth…

I would really like to see Google Home Assistant integration as I’ve been gradually getting deeper into that environment. I was able to display my cameras when I first set them up several month ago but I seem to have lost this function in the last few months. Did something change during an update?