Help Us Develop Our Doorbell Camera!

Agree- $199 is big turn off. I get maybe 1 person a year at the door, other than kids at Halloween, and maybe average 1 delivery/mo at most. Random people can’t get past the guard so we have nearly zero soliciting or sales pitches to deal with. However we have had s few odd reports of package theft. It’s the only reason I git the v2 looking out at my doorway. It’s not a great solution because I miss out on people detection because I have to mount it in its side to get enough field of view. An outside doorbell type cam I could mount in the right place if battery operated would improve the view but it’s not worth a lot to me, personally. But I can see where others might have vastly different needs.

4 Likes

I think before I start wanting to buy a Waze doorbell I would like to have the delay time for receiving alerts shortened. It takes about 15 seconds to receive an alert from the time someone passes by the camera. I have fast internet and the camera is close to the router and still have a long delay time. If you work on a doorbell what would be the difference in delay? The people knocking would probably be already walking away by the time we could even respond

4 Likes

Allow me to “Chime” in… I have owned both wired and not, Ring and Nest. Among all the features of both; with the exception of the playback subscription- my Nest products work better on my Google smart house. Incorporating an SD card, free playback, changeable face plates and the optional angel mounting on a Wyze product at a Wyze price would capture the market.

2 Likes

I wanted to add as well.
The wired/wireless was confusing. For me, I loved the ring that I have because -

1. It received power from my existing wired doorbell (Literally rip and replace).
  2. It has a battery option for those that didn’t have a wired setup that allowed you to take out the battery and charge it if you chose to (Mine is charging from the existing wires).

This thing also communicates wirelessly, so that question confused me a bit.

If Wyze is looking to make one, i think the feature above would appeal to a broader audience, and would make the cam/doorbell monthly cloud storage a definite seller (I would! I have google home and a ring (it’s a really good doorbell, but not well integrated).

3 Likes

I agree that it may cost a bit more or maybe slightly larger, just like the Wyze Cam versions, but may be a good feature. These guys may be able to figure out a way. They responded to me on Twitter that may not make it to version 1 but to still ask them for the feature here. Love these cams and smart devices from Wyze.

1 Like

Have a mic and speaker so that I can talk to whomever is at the door from my phone app. Just like you do with your current camera.

3 Likes

Please integrate more. I have a mish-mash of devices that I’ve picked up over time
and not everything works together.
Wi-fi seems to be the coming standard so use that

2 Likes

I totally agree but since all of their products are ham-stringed to their server - its not going to happen. Wish my delay time was as short as yours.

I would like to see the doorbell camera have both wired and wireless options as I have two locations where I would like to use it and one has a wired option and the other does not. Thank you.

4 Likes

That’s a really good point - our delay is sometimes a minute. Nobody waits that long on the doorstep. We would need the chimes inside the house to sound immediately - that ought to be possible if it just uses the house wifi for that.

Single family home, but we don’t have a wired doorbell, we currently use a battery one with a chime unit that plugs in inside the house; our model has both front and back doorbells with different chimes. So we need two battery-powered doorbells that use wifi to make different chimes sound inside for front and back doors, and also use the iPhone to let us view video.

2 Likes

Ah, I see well then this might just be it for me, no doorbell cam since it will be directly sent to their Servers first.

This message has been sent as a part of discussion between Mr. Martinez and the addressee whose name is specified above. Should you receive this message by mistake, I would be most grateful if you informed me that the message has been sent to you. In this case, I also ask that you delete this message from your mailbox, and do not forward it or any part of it to anyone else. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

1 Like

I chose the “my own answer” and put in that I wanted power from current wires, but communication to be wireless

1 Like

I have a Ring wired doorbell and would toss it in a heartbeat due to the poor compatibility with the house’s NuTone intercom system. Ring tried to fix things by running a diode between the two doorbell wires but it still hums like crazy if the intercom volume is up very loud.

I’d much prefer a “wireless” version (that I would need to recharge periodically) that had the option to momentarily trigger the existing doorbell circuit. Heck, I’d probably buy two or three of them so all the doors are the same.

2 Likes

Solar power/battery may be an option. At least consider it.

3 Likes

How about a high decibel high frequency alarm that you could activate manually or automatically to scare off porch pirates and burglars?
Say that you get a package, and the doorbell cam alerts your phone. You then select the package area to activate the alarm if it is disturbed. This is your “alarm zone,” which could be made separate from your normal detection zone.
Also, maybe a pepper spray deterrent as an option, with a warning sticker, of course. :wink:

3 Likes

The wired vs wireless question is poorly worded. I have a skybell at the moment. Wireless for the data feed but uses existing doorbell 2 wired connection for power and indoor doorbell chime activation. Please include use of existing doorbell wiring for power and chime use as a feature in the wyze doorbell design.

Also… for mounting the wall, please include a base that enables an angle so that the doorbell is mounted at an angle off the horizontal plane. . My existing doorbell is not on the same wall as the door but rather on the wall at 90 degrees to the door. Had to create a base mount with an approx 20-30 degree angle so that the skybell could use the motion sensing to trigger as someone approaches the door.

Skybell also has an led that lights up at night to illuminate the person activating the doorbell…works well at night but is only activated after dark…user cannot change the setting. My skybell is mounted in a shaded area, the background lighting in the day shows mostly a silhouette ( can still see some recognizable features but is sonewhat dark) since the person gets washed out by the bright background. Issue would be solved if the user could set the backlight led to illuminate during the day but such user control is not enabled. I hope your designers consider what the view looks like in my scenario…doorbell is in the shade, subject in the doorbell view stands in the shaded area and is depicted with a very bright background ( sunny day, blue sky)…enable a method the make sure the subject is still well shown and not just as a silhouette.

3 Likes

I want a relay to trip a door release so I can “buzz someone in” remotely.

1 Like

Agreed… Should use std door bell current and voltage. Any thing else would need special adapters. The video can still operate as wireless.

3 Likes

I would definitely buy this doorbell camera. But place make people and other motion a separate event on this product.

1 Like

Our existing button is also at 90 deg to door but too far forward so wired power is not practical. My neighbor tried it and with someone at the door, all he could see was the back and a bit of profile. He replaced it with a battery model facing forward and a wired security cam higher up on opposite wall where he was able to run power through garage wall. I personally think wyze should consider offering both battery with clearly listed limitations and the full featured wired models to give both consumer camps something usable.

1 Like