Greater Control Over Detection Zone Shape

Well, the simplest workaround is simply to aim the camera downward a little more. The base is adjustable, so you can pivot it down further. I doubt you’re trying to capture what happens in the sky and the tops of the trees, right? :slight_smile: Haha

That depends on if the camera is inside looking through a window in that case the camera needs to be flat against the window to reduce glare

True. Flat against the window is the best way to reduce glare, although even when it’s flat against the window, the distance between double-paned glass can cause glare. Personally, I have mine against the window and angled slightly down. That means the top edge of the camera touches the window and the bottom part is slightly away from the window. But there was glare even when it was flat against the window, due to the two panes. I’ve addressed the glare issue in another way:

I have black non reflecting tape around the perimeter of the front of the camera

1 Like

Nice. Do you have any photos? Is it on the camera itself, or on the window? I tried a solution where I stuck black paper to the window with a hole for the camera. I thought that would fix the issue, but I found that the outer pane reflected the blinds from behind anyway. I wasn’t able to get it exact enough, especially since I needed to angle the camera slightly down. That’s why I made the box, so that the blinds behind the camera would be totally hidden from its point of view, even in the other pane’s reflection.

I still get a little bit of glare from the white of the camera against headlights occasionally, but I’m going to replace that one with the black camera and hopefully mitigate that issue too

Well you have the black box all you need is a black Cam in there , yeah the tape is just stuck to the front of the camera, and the camera sits on this

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAWXCRS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

The tape is just to make the camera black instead of white, basically?

Mostly to seal the light out from the room, I have been thinking about actually taping the camera to the window for a tighter fit

But the tape effectively does the same thing as a black camera? Or does it extend beyond the camera itself?

It’s thicker then normal tape in could be compressed some more

I think what he’s asking is are you using the tape to mask the white of the pastic housing or also using the tape past the edge as a shroud/hood to keep light out.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was asking. Thanks. :slight_smile:

I think he meant, “All of the above” :grin:

1 Like

The tape is just around the corners of the camera there is a tiny bit of white still on the face it does not extend beyond the camera

I wonder how black felt would do. They sell it in regular and one side adhesive versions. One should be able to get a good seal with it.

Unfortunately I can’t tilt it down any further because I have it pressed up flat against a window and the ledge on which it is sitting is too small to back it up.

What if the screen were divided up into 57,600 squares, 320 wide and 180 tall, and you could select which of them you wanted to be notified of a change in (say by tapping on them to toggle)? You would give up some of the granularity of the current detection zone, but you could have non contiguous areas.

1 Like

Hard to select any one of those squares on a 5-in diagonal screen. Hard to show sub-pixel objects as well. If you magnify the grid, then it’s hard to know which squares you’re interested in.

1 Like

I’ve noticed earlier in the Wyze cams you could set the “detection area” you could make the area small and narrow. Now it’s larger. Is there a way your IT people can do a firmware upgrade to allow this to be smaller? The reason I’m asking is I have two cams set up facing my front door. One at the top of the window looking down and another on the window sill so I can see who’s at the door. I have both detection areas as small as possible but at night the car lights set off the motion giving me NUMEROUS false alarms. Or better yet they made it possible to detect motion/person make it be able to detect car lights so it doesn’t record them. If I’m doing something wrong or if someone can recommend something else I can do I’m open to it.

2 Likes

Also, need to be able to set detection zones in landscape mode. Portrait mode is just too small for my old eyes.