Greater Control Over Detection Zone Shape

UPDATE 11/18/20: This feature is now available in the Wyze app! You will need to have your app and firmware fully updated for it.

UPDATE 9/15/20: I am happy to say that we are working on implementation of this feature! Not promising timelines yet but we’re working on the coding. :slight_smile:

ORIGINAL POST:

The current zone control method (of adjusting four corners of a box) is limiting. It doesn’t allow for the exclusion of objects. Sometimes people ask for grids, some people want more points that they can use to adjust the shape, and some people ask for masking zones in addition to the detection zone. Currently, people using their Wyze Cams to look outside have more difficulty getting their property without the plants or roads in the area.

Best,

WyzeGwendolyn

2 Likes

I would like more control over the zones. In my case, i want to mask out a tree that moves when the wind blows.

27 Likes

any chance the implementation of the motion detection zone will have more granularity by including free hand drawing or broken up into 9 zones, etc? as it is right now, i would have to make it small and lose some areas or make it bigger but include areas I don’t want/need.

it would definitely save a lot of false alerts and unnecessary cloud recordings. right now, the way my wyzecam is positioned, it’s slanted and not 90 degree perpendicular. therefore, rectangular settings don’t work as well.

14 Likes

There is a chance! I’ll talk to the team and see where we’re at. Though this is two different feature requests so we may work on one before the other if we go this route. :slight_smile:

20 Likes

This would be great - I have problems with the shape too.

2 Likes

Would also be nice to make the alert zone box be a polygon instead. based on where I mounted my camera it would be nice to tuck a corner in to avoid the street/sidewalk but stretch the other corner out to cover more of the pathway to my house/front yard.

[Moderator note: this reply moved to this topic as it is more closely related]

10 Likes

Yeah. There are actually two aspects to this. One is the ‘zone’ being surveyed on one is the sensitivity of response. Perhaps is would be easier to be able to adjust the sensitivity of a "zone’ rather than get too granular about the edges of the “zone”. In the blowing tree example if the sensitivity could just be adjusted here to a low value rather then have to paint the tree into its own zone. Having the sensitivity more adjustable would also give the benefit of choosing between a bird size to dog size to human size since the actual object within a monitored zone are also of interest for possible exclusion. This might need a “new” CCD?
Of course :slight_smile: you could go wild and include shape recognition, face recognition - there are no bounds once those pixels are captured.

3 Likes

This is definitely a feature I would like. A simple grid would be fine, as long as it’s small enough. My issue is I have diagonal areas I don’t want detection, so the only way to avoid them is a very small detection zone.

2 Likes

This could be very helpful for that problem area that triggers a notification. The top of a pine tree on a windy day for example.

2 Likes

Totally agreed. If we could draw our own shape, instead of being restricted to the rectangle, that would be even better

10 Likes

+1, having at least two independent rectangles can make our lives easier.
I have a small tree :deciduous_tree: right in the center of the covered area that bends with the wind so I had to choose either one or the other side of the three to have the motion detection.

5 Likes

I’d add to this that the ability to use the box(es) as exclusion areas instead of inclusion areas would help immensely, as it seems lots of us want to capture any detected motion except for a specific area.

8 Likes

Wyze V2 on IOS. Being able to have different shaped detection zones and zone masks would be great. I need a curved zone because of the wide angle lens. Using my V2 on a covered front porch with a street at the edge of the field of view. The street is straight and the drive is circular, but I’m having to cut out covering cars in the driveway because of the fisheye affect of the 110 degree lens. Being able to curve the detection zone at the edge would greatly improve my daytime coverage.

5 Likes

It would be nice to break the detection zone into multiple areas.

1- pathway
2-driveway
3-Not the on-going traffic on the road

Currently there is now way of selecting multiple detection zones or mute an area inside the detection zone.

It would be really helpful if this could be developed.

Thank you!
-Ummati

8 Likes

Hey all, was wondering about detection zones and being able to two finger rotate. Ie

2 Likes

I really like the ability to select the area for motion tagging. But, let’s face it, most of us don’t have a rectangle that we’d like to monitor. It’s an odd shape. So, by using a rectangle we either have to include an area that will cause unneeded alerts or eliminate an area that should be monitored.

Would it be possible to have multiple rectangles? Or at least let us draw the border freehand?

This would take the motion detection to the next level and one that we could all benefit from.

9 Likes

would love to see this as well… wyzecam would also optimize spend by eliminating all the unnecessary cloud recordings

1 Like

yes some camera allows you to basically paint the areas of interest, and some allow you to have a different alert set to those areas. For example, xxcrest cameras allow this motion detection masking to be done, but they didn’t (atleast last time I checked) didn’t have different alerts for these different areas. It thinks this would cut down on many notifications as 90% of mine are from pesty tree branches or hanging flower pots that are in the middle of the detection area.

1 Like

+1 for Free-hand detection zones, with my camera placement my street is running diagonally across 1/3 of the FOV so a rectangle is pretty useless.

2 Likes

TO THE DEVELOPERS: Yes, I agree, that would be a fantastic feature enhancement. And that would be a great feature to EMPHASIZE in advertising the cameras. There are still many IP cameras that don’t offer this feature. Traffic from cars further out in the street in front of your house or building… Think of how many fewer unimportant motion detection uploads to the cloud there would be, as well as in your app on your phone. We all get too many false motion hits already from tree branches, passing cars in the , etc. Is this a difficult feature for the developers to create? Please- the area to mask or exclude should be “free form”- not a rectangle.

Thanks for listening to our feedback!