Greater Control Over Detection Zone Shape

I have another security camera (for about $15 more than my Wyze cams that has just this setup with approximately 500 squares. When you click on the detection zone setting, it automatically switches the screen to landscape mode. From there you can easily select or de-select each square. This gives me incredible control over what I want in the detection zone.
57,000 may be a bit too much but breaking the screen into 500 squares is perfect.

1 Like

We need to be able to set the detection zone SMALLER than is being allowed in Wyze Cam 2.

EXAMPLE: I have a Wyze Cam 2 setup watching my front porch area. The front porch is approximately less than the lower 30% of the FOV (field of view). Because the current setup only allows me to limit the vertical detection area to about a 35% block, I continually record cars driving by, etc., that I do not want. Allowing the Detection Zone to be set to a smaller value would allow users to more finely tune the area of detection,

2 Likes

Suggestions:

1. Allow more flexibility in adjusting the size/shape of the DZ. Right now, it looks like the size has a hard minimum.
  2. Allow more 1 DZ.

On detection zone size you may need to involve support. I am attaching s photo showing how small I can make the zone. This was the smallest i could make.

2 Likes

I think this might be a problem with iOS , because I can make mine even smaller than that

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering that, too. Iā€™ve seen a lot of people complaining about it recently, and Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s something that got inadvertently changed in an app update. Iā€™m using the beta app, but I tried this in the production app a few weeks ago too, and it was about the same. This is as small as my zone goes:

Iā€™m thinking we may have an iOS bug?

EDIT: I just reinstalled the production app to try this and itā€™s the same,

1 Like

I went ahead and reported this through the app, since it does appear to be a bug, and not just a limitation.

2 Likes

I can get mine down to less than a quarter of that size youā€™re showing

Android, right? Thatā€™s why I reported it as a bug because it doesnā€™t seem to be intentional, since it behaves differently for different people. I think it was introduced recently because we had a lot of people complaining in the last month or so.

1 Like

Yep and it has always worked the same for me

I canā€™t get anywhere close to what you are showing in my iPhone. That cinches the software bug idea. Hereā€™s a screen shot of my minimum height, and one with the minimum square ā€” the minimums are the same both directions.

This is definitely messed up. How do we report this & the Android vs. iOS differences?

1 Like

Jason, thank you very much for your response. Just like 7Natives said, I canā€™t get anywhere near what youā€™re showing. I see exactly what 7Natives is showing. I too have an iPhone, so this must be the problem. Looks like the DZ feature was not thoroughly tested on iOS. Unfortunately, I canā€™t update my original post so Iā€™ll repost the list.

1 Like

I already reported it yesterday, but Iā€™m sure more reports wouldnā€™t hurt. Hereā€™s how to do that. In this case, Iā€™m not sure if the logs are that useful, but you can attach them. Be sure to send screenshots as well. (After you hit send in the app, it opens an email where you can attach any images)

4 Likes

Thanks to all who responded to my post.
Updated since I canā€™t edit the original post:

1. Test the DZ feature on iOS. It looks like there is a hard minimum set. The minimum height of the DZ box is about 1/3 of the screen height and cannot be reduced further. This hard minimum is the same for the width. Android users have shown a different, more flexible size for the DZ.
  2. Allow more than 1 DZ.
    I believe if you provide these improvements, it would accommodate most of what users want to do. At least as a 1st step.

I canā€™t see much with this camera until the motion lights come on but anyway , you can see how small I can get it

Iā€™ve also been escalating this internally. Thanks, folks!

3 Likes

+1. Even $35 cameras from another company I shall not name here give you very fine control over the entire visible area in small blocks. Hereā€™s an example (from the setup of that $35 camera) of what Iā€™d like to see, which is splitting the visible region of the camera into thousands of small blocks with each block being configurable as either a detection zone or not.
MotionZones
My house faces a street, so the windows light up at night from car headlights every time a car passes. I need a way to omit each of the windows from the motion detection area while leaving the rest of the room enabled for detection.

4 Likes

Wow, that would be ideal!

1. Discovered how to report bug and did
  2. Got an email requesting further info - responded & included photos
  3. Got an email saying this should be in the ā€œWish Listā€

Itā€™s bad enough weā€™re having this issue ā€” bad enough for customers to finally track it down as a bug. But to have it blown off as a ā€œwishā€ is a really lame disservice.

I hope your escalation gets more done than the Bug Report apparently did.

ā€” 7

1 Like

Something like what @Wyz.Guy is talking about above is indeed a wishlist item, but the iOS/Android difference is a bug. Thankfully, Gwen said theyā€™re escalating this internally.

3 Likes