Garage Door Opener Survey

Survey done. I have a Cam in my garage, but the garage opener is not smart/WiFi. I have a 2 car garage with a single opener (garage door is 2 cars wide). What would be awesome is a cam that could be mounted below the opener motor and a ‘fish eye’ / wide angle so I could see the entire garage, including the door. Right now, my Wyze Cam is at the front of the garage and has a partial view of both cars, the side door (to the backyard) and the garage door. That gets me (1) garage door status (open/closed), (2) car status (who’s car is home) and (3) the path of our dogs (from house into garage and out the side door. It’s a compromise that limits what I can see. A better solution is a shot from above, but no power there. Sure, could use the Outdoor Cam there or maybe the new lightbulb socket cam power device I saw in today’s email…

If you do have a modern opener MyQ would do the trick, often on sale at Amazon. Otherwise for old DIP switch units Genie offers a conversion. Another user talks about a different model. Solutions exist. I check my doors both with MyQ and the Wyze camera I mounted on the back wall.

2 Likes

I guess I was an early adopter back in the day of NEXX garage openers. They work ok but I like the original version with the wired sensor instead of their current wireless sensors to detect open/close. The stupid batteries in them wear out so fast. Since I have Wyze products already having a Wyze garage door wiFi device would be great just to be able to use one app instead of one app for each device. Having some way to link to a camera would be great too.

I guess I missed this survey, But I am quite interested in the garage monitoring. I have Wyze sensors in the garage and a camera. I used the V2 contact sensor attached to the door operating mechanism at the door and use it to have Alexa tell me that the garage door has been opened, been closed, or remains opened. The motion sensor tells me that something is moving in the garage, And the cameras let me look at the garage contents as it is mounted on the back wall in a corner so I get a good view. An extra precaution to be sure the contact sensor is working ok. Overkill maybe. But then, my wife has been home with medical issues and likes to know what might be causing any noise she hears. The motion sensor picks up cars going up the street some 30 feet away. Amazing. A Wyze garage door opener? Not sure its for me. I have a liftmaster, it works fine. No desire to change it. I am not sure i want anything to control that door other than me being in front of it. A pocket dial could be disastrous. You don’t know from a distance what is happening on the other side of the door, or maybe can’t see some one in the door area. Nope, I want to be there when it all happens.

I was not aware of MyQ, looks like it might work on my older craftsman. To be clear, I have never left the house without putting the door down, but almost always question myself unless I pause long enough to watch the door finally close. One of those quirky things that has plagued me for years.

There seems to be a lot more emphasis on new product development and less on current products improvement. We still need several updates to the home monitoring system that was rolled out last year. When is a sharing feature going to be available?

I am very interested in purchasing a garage door opener made by wyze. There are other products out there but i want to keep everything integrated to the same system. I do have a camera set in my garage hidden out of view in case of a break in.

A contact sensor turns on the lights in the garage, and two lights in the house indicating when the door is open. A camera in the garage lets me see the door if the sensor fails and also watches for other events (kids arrivals etc). I have the Aladdin WiFi Software and can close it remotely but never use that for door notifications.

Any WIFI enabled garage door opener would need to be provided with a car-based opening fob to make it useful. A phone-based opener would not be useful within the car.

Advice (free). Bought mine as a Lightning deal on Amazon. At the time a second sensor cost more than the entire system so I bought 2 systems and now have a spare hub. Total investment less than a $Jackson.

unless it was bluetooth activated like the door lock. senses when you are home and automatically opens

Agree totally. Plus why does Wyze want to develop an opener, better established companies exist. A fob from Wyze would be redundant, small after market fobs exist and are cheap. Plus I’d say most modern cars have homelink which most, if not all, modern garage openers can use. I big use I find for a MyQ type product is opening and closing the door when my wife walks out to visit neighbors. I sit in my recliner and operate it for her when hands are full or dirty. Before others comment, I do have a keypad mounted by one door.

If you have a smart phone with Android or IOS you have voice activation. That’s how mine works. Adding another fob to open a Wyze garage door doesn’t make any sense since you already have a remote door opener or your modern car can do it. One more fob to lose in my option. It needs to be integrated to systems that exist already.

I also use the MyQ system and am not pleased that I requires a paid subscription to utilize the voice activation features of the opener. Other than that, I’ve noticed more delays in its push notification system as of late but the responsiveness is still the same.

I’m happy with it, but always looking for something better.

I do not put my cams in the garage, I put them on the exterior facing the garage and ensure I have full coverage of my yard. I have a detached garage and a wifi extender in the garage as it’s quite a ways from the main domicile.

I have the myQ, actually made some money on it when it was on sale for 20$ and Amazon offered a 25$ gift card for the first in-garage order.

But I don’t need a paid subscription to voice open it, I just use the Alexa skill to do so.

I recommend that you try a Meross controller so you can ask your assistant of choice to open the garage and it will ask for a PIN then should open the door. I don’t use voice assistants so can’t say how well it works but they are available for $20-$30 from Amazon warehouse if you’d like to try it.

Well it used to be paid. Guess Guess removed that feature lol. I take that back.

I use Google Assistant for everything. Not an Alexa person.

Wait, MyQ is now allowing people to open the garage by voice? Last time I looked into that they said they would never allow opening by voice because of security issues.

Maybe it’s because I have it connect through home assistant and then Alexa.

I can open it with a pin code.

1 Like

When you go to “Works With” it’ll show you all of the integration possibilities. It says it works, although im unable to validate that as mine is disconnected right now since I just moved and haven’t reinstalled it.

1 Like