Garage Door Opener Survey

For what its worth. I have one camera in the back of the garage watching both garage doors. The wide angle of the lens also can see the corner of the door to the laundry room into the house. No sensors on the garage doors but one on the house door. Also a PIR over that door facing the garage. I can see anyone wandering in my shop, if the doors are opened, etc. I didn’t mount a camera to the door opener as I preferred to see more than if the door is open or closed. A sensor is a good idea. Also, it would be fruitless to plug into the same outlet at the opener as I have a power switch in the house to disable the openers at night and on vacation. Our neighborhood had a rash of break-ins via perps fishing for the manual pull handle then manually raising the door. I probably would forgo a wifi door opener setup for a couple of door contacts to know status of door, regardless if the opener did the opening.
Hope this helps. David

I used Wemo cameras for quite some time. Then migrated to Wyze in the garage. I still use the Wemo Maker to control our garage door. Installed contact sensor. Easy to get remote controls and notifications set up. Hope at some point Wyze will have a similar device to control low voltage devices.

My garage door openers are LiftMaster from the mid 1990s. I made them WIFI controlled using 2 Sonoff Basic switches and inching feature ($5 per switch). It is designed for 120-240V, there are videos on yt that show how to mod it to use the low voltage relay to replicate the button press on the opener. The Sonoff switches also work with Alexa so I can control them with voice. I also have Wyze cam v2 with Wyze contact sensors v1 on each door so I can see and know when the doors are left open.

Until I had received the weekly email, I didn’t know about the survey. I use a MeRoss wifi device to open my liftmaster opener. I have one Wyze 2 camera to confirm the door is open/closed and who is there.

Hi

I have installed a MyQ hardware and app which allows me to remotely operate my garage door.

Being an avid Wyze user, I also mounted a Wyze cam on the motor bracket so I can monitor any garage activity.

Like others, I have added a NEXX device to Wi-Fi enable monitor/control my door opener. I plan to move a Wyze camera to visually monitor access to the garage.

I do use a Wyze sensor on my garage, but for some reason, though it lights up on contact, it always seems to think the garage is open. I installed a Wyze cam in the garage just so I could check since the sensor is always wrong…

Some older Garages lack a lot of electrical outlets. My garage was built in the early 90s and only has 1 electrical outlet.
It would be nice if the Wyze garage door opener had an extra electrical plug included so you can daisy-chain a shop light or something else off of the garage door opener.

Same with 2 USB ports so that you can run a sensor or a camera off of the garage door opener.

I use the simple cheap Lomota wifi controller. Works great, has a wired mag switch to tell if door open or closed. Do not do a battery powered tilt switch, they always fail especially when wind shakes the door. Used to have a Homekit interface, it didn’t work either.
Had to buy off the internet an interface for my smart Chamberlain opener to convert back to the two wire interrupt system for the Lomota. I have 3 different openers. So making them all work was interesting. Use Smart Life app for controlling them.

I have a Sonoff device wired into the “doorbell” buttons for my garage doors. This allows me to open/close them remotely. I do use the wyze camera to see if the door is open or closed.
Mostly I have them in there to detect/capture any breakins.

Are you Looking to release a camera that also controls garage door? Alcidae Garager 2, Smart WiFi Garage Control,Integrated Security Camera,View and open/close your garage from anywhere,Share Access with Family,Smart Alerts & 2-Way Audio,1080P Clear Image,Night Vision Amazon.com

Camera is mounted at the back of the garage so I can see most of the garage. I also marked my opener isn’t wifi connected, however I have a RaspberryPi Zero wired into it so I have control/status from my network.

Two garage doors, separate openers, both Chamberlain but no Wi-Fi. Would like to replace the two touch switches just outside my house door that open and close the doors with smart switches. But these are both 12v not 120, Will the Wyze switches work?

I have a Garadget and a MyQ device attached to my garage door. You can easily add multiple smart openers to a garage door if there’s some compelling reason to do so. Essentially it’s like just adding another button to open the door; it’s just another thing that can short the two wires to make the door open.

Thanks, know it is a simple solution, was just hoping for a simple Wyze solution :smile:

1 Like

My door opener is an antique and works on RF. The only issue I had was mounting the camera too close to the receiver unit on the wall. The WiFi interfered with the RF and the door didn’t open. I moved the camera to a different location and the problem was solved. The camera with the attached light works well.

Done! I really hope this means Wyze is getting serious about connecting garage door. For me, the garage door is the next logical step in my overall household security, not to mention the convenience of it. Two nights in a row I’ve left my garage door open! That’s to say a feature I would really like to have is a definite close time. For example, say the garage door is still open at 10p then the Wyze gadget goes ahead and closes it. If for some reason it can’t close, then it should alert us.

Alerts could be progressively urgent. For example device notifications (if they can supersede dnd). If still not closed after 5 minutes following the notification, then maybe ding the chime or HMS base. Or if it’s possible, maybe issue a notification through Alexa…

A built-in camera isn’t a big deal for me.

1 Like

Any chance we see something here? I have MyQ, but would love integration within the Wyze app.

1 Like

I commented on this subject once before, but the impression I had was that Wyze was planning a complete Garage door opener such as liftmaster makes. But it is Christmas and I was getting into smart controls again, and discovered something called the Refoss door opener which sells for the $50 range and a recent boxing day special of $40. This is a good design, at least on reading. And it is not a “Garage Door Opener per se” but actually an item that will open a garage door by acting in parallel with the in garage opener switch which most of us have on the wall. The little garage door control which we all hold in our hands, or vehicle, sends a coded signal to the garage door opening mechanism to control the door. But the switch in the garage on the wall, is simply a switch, and since it is in the garage no security coded needed, so it is just a simple contact. Well the Refoss item just replaces the button on the wall, or acts in parallel with it. But the Refoss is a smart device, and can react to Alexa or Google signals to deal with door openings and closings. And really I think that is all that Wyze needs to accomplish. But the item exists, and so the question is, do we need another one on the market? Refoss is available from Amazon. My concerns: I have an Echo Flex outside the house, and that becomes a garage door opener if I had the Refoss unit, so no, I don’t want anyone coming to the house to have permission to open the garage door with a voice command. I also prefer to be there when the garage door is functioning. What if my wife is driving her car out when this thing functions from a trigger far away? Lots of questions?