Garage Door Opener Survey

Thanks! That movie did inspire the naming of the doors!

1 Like

Hi Hongfei. I just ran across this thread and missed the deadline on the survey.
I too built my own, with features very similar to the myQ a couple of years before the myQ was available using a controller from Particle.io. Since it’s my own code, I have it very customized. For instance, leaving the door open during the day is OK if I’m home but not OK if it’s night or I’m gone.
I have my Wyze camera toward the the front corner of the garage so that it can see the overhead garage door as well as the rear door into the back yard. So the cam will also send a motion notification from the door opening, but it’s not useful because the clip is only 12 sec and the door takes that long to open.
So I like the customization of rolling my own, but would lean toward using a Wyze unit just to be able to talk to it with the Wyze app that I use for the cams, scale, and switched outlets.
What I’m planning to add to mine is an outside camera that decodes license plates that will automatically raise the door when it sees my car.

2 Likes

Is this the MSG100? There are concerns about tying garage door openers to Alexa or Siri. Does this prevent anyone from saying “Alexa open door 2”?

I agree with Carver. Mine is a Chamberlain brand, but is essentially the same exact opener. The only difference is that I also have the battery backup, a nice addition when you lose power. I too use all the wifi options Carver uses. I’ve moved a couple of times in the last few years and this my third with these capabilities as I’ve replaced the openers at all my houses because the functionality. They are that useful.

1 Like

Alexa requires you to setup a 4 digit pin in order to enable voice control for garage doors. So it will only work if you know the pin.

I have a Wifi enabled Linear Pro installed by Precision Garage Doors. I also use a MyQ device for Amazon Key deliveries. Initially I installed my Wyze Cam3 on an overhead garage storage shelf then I recently moved it to the underside of my garage door opener so I wouldn’t receive as many alerts when going in and out of the garage to throw out trash.

I would love for my Wyze Cam 3 to link to my Key deliveries. The cameras that’s allowed to function with Key deliveries are too expensive and Wyze doesn’t have Link capabilities with Amazon Key.

Thanks for the answer. I pulled the instructions and noticed it had it’s own sensor instead of using the MyQ sensor. I was looking for a device to attach to the DIP Switch opener’s push button connections that is compatible with my MyQ system. The Craftsman adapter is not reliable.

Yes, it is attached to the accessory terminals on the liftmaster opener. The sensor (magnetic) is hardwired into the Meross unit. So long as the magnetic sensor can be read for open/close the unit works as it is a pretty simple/straightforward system.

Have myQ but use a camera inside garage pointed at doors. I can double check status. And figured it might be useful if someone decided to grab something from an open garage. We keep doors closed but sometimes it is open for short durations when working in yard.

You should break down the wifi connection question into garage door opener wifi connection, wifi connection thru 3rd party device like MyQ or Meross, or 3rd party connection thru 3rd party ZigBee\zwave hub.
If you plan on making a garage door controller you really need to make it compatible with smart home systems like SmartThings, Hubitat, Apple\Google\Alexa. It should also have a battery powered and wired door sensor capability to cover those that want convenience of a battery and those that want reliability of a wired sensor.

k

My biggest complaint about the MyQ system is that they won’t allow me to open the garage through any voice command. I can close it through voice command, but opening it was restricted for “security” purposes (ie: so someone can’t yell into your house “open garage” and break into your house that way). That is the worst part and biggest missing feature, honestly. When I learned that it had that limitation I considered returning the device and seeing if a competitor would allow that instead (because that feature would’ve allowed a lot of convenience to just talk to my phone while I’m, driving home to open the garage instead of having to pick up my phone and open the app by hand, etc… But it’s pretty hard to beat the MyQ sales prices (I think I got mine for like $20, and it’s way worth $20 for all the other features it does have that I love and use often…)

You’d think they’d allow us to choose though (whether we want to risk that security option of allowing it to open the garage by voice). Google has voice recognition which helps with such security, though I guess someone could record or deepfake your voice. But even without that, why couldn’t they just make you say a pin to open it just like we do to open the Wyze lock through Google or Alexa? The limitation doesn’t make sense.

If Wyze makes a garage door opener, I hope they allow opening it by voice (and pin) just like we can with the Wyze Lock. There are lots of people who complain about their MyQ system restricting voice opening. Wyze would steal a bunch of those customers.

MyQ’s biggest publicity faux pas was when they tried charging people to be able to connect to device to Google, Alexa, etc… They took so much heat they switched back to “temporary” free licenses (though they’ve lasted indefinitely since then so far).

It would be really cool if Wyze used thier Amazon connections to be able to do the “key in-garage” delivery too. I don’t use it very often (because I work from home) but it’s handy for packages that would come while I’m on vacation. Seems like Wyze could use their connections to allow us to opt into it the same way we can with MyQ.

It’d be really cool to integrate a Wyze device like this with Wyze geo-fencing rules. Such as close the garage anytime I leave home. Open the garage when I arrive home during this window of time (ie: for those who get off work at the same time every weekday). Close the garage automatically whenever I arm my Wyze HMS. Etc.

Check out the Meross controller, it says you can ask Google/Alexa to open the door and it will ask for the PIN before it will open. They cost $20-$30 from Amazon Warehouse depending on which version you buy. Check their website so you can see which version you need.

1 Like

I have security cameras throughout my home as well as my garage that will alert me to human activity which is what I want. I took a Sonoff wifi switch and modified it so that I could control one of my garage doors to open or close from anywhere. Very handy when you need to let a neighbor in to take care of the house plants while away.
I think a Wyze product that would allow us to simply connect it to any garage door opener to turn it into a Smart garage door opener would be interesting to have.
SG

Survey submitted. I use Roost Smart Garage Door Sensors on both doors for remote observation of open/close status. Would go for an integrated monitor/controller.

Like many others, I too have a Lift master with MyQ which works very well and I wouldn’t replace. I have both garage doors programmed to my vehicle buttons so there is no need to carry the garage opener. I too have two Wyze cameras inside the garage that allow monitoring the space and doors remotely. I think this is the perfect setup and wouldn’t change a thing.

I submitted the survey. I have a Craftsman garage door opener, and using Meross connected to my WiFi as a monitor/open/close solution. I would absolutely love it if Wyze would come out with a garage door opener. Not that Meross solution doesn’t do the job, just would like to slim down on apps I am using if possible.

As someone else has stated, I would like it to remain simple as the Meross solution. Just the 2 wires to connect to the opener to close the circuit to open/close the garage door. Put some kind of “overtime warning” in the app to let you know the door has been open x minutes. Nothing else really needs to be in there.

I use a GogoGate2, which I like overall. It is wifi connected but uses the 2 wire connection to actually open the door. No code sync required. Also, it has a wirelessly attached sensor and camera image imbedded that shows the position of the door so you can see if it s open or closed and get alerts if it is open.

It would be nice to have a similar Wyze device compatible with Wyze cameras.

I’m looking to replace my garage door opener so I’ll be waiting to see what you come up with.

I sometimes forget and use the camera to check if I closed the door. It would save a trip back home if I could simply wire a set of contacts to the connection on the opener for a wired remote. Then click the app on the phone.

Hi Hongfei, As do many others, I use the MyQ and it’s fantastic that it sends emails and texts when the door is opened or closed, and the ability to close on a schedule (mine is midnight if it’s still open). I do have a Wyze camera in the garage, but obviously they aren’t connected to each other.
Feel free to ask other questions if you’d like.
Dabassmann (Rick)