Bulbs turn on by themselves

That is always the case, if i could fins sensor that is the same size as Wyze Contact Sensors i would be willing to pay top $ but there are none on the market.

With Wyze introducing so many products they are creating great ecosystem, probably more diverse than any other on the market but if the quality is suffering you should ask, is that the right move.

I agree with you. Introducing such a wide range of IOT products so quickly has untended consequences.

I love the Wyze-eco system, but I proceed patiently and cautiously with each different product introduction and software update.

I feel the company is strong in business management, marketing and software skills. They could grow in contracting with OEM partners and defining strong product details as we are seeing and experiencing. I changed all the button batteries, one day after receiving the Wyze Sensors, missing resistors, bad SD sockets, and deteriorating IR camera lens filters in V2, to name a few. I call it ā€œgrowing Wyze lessons.ā€

I still love the brand and will buy lots more products, but I proceed with prudence.

I havenā€™t worked with these specifically
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32978972830.html But I have worked with Tuya stuff quite a bit and find it perfectly fine.

@UserCustomerGwen any update on this?

No, but I know that this is something weā€™re still working on. Weā€™ve had trouble replicating it in the office even with bulbs weā€™ve requested back. Iā€™ll see if the people working on this have further questions for anyone at this time.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Wyze App Version 2.6 Releasing Tonight! (11/18/19)

Please let us know, its happening to multiple people here and its making light bulbs unusable, and there is no way we are only ones.

Thanks for taking time to respond to all of our questions.

Just a suggestion to the people in the office who are testing the wise lab, considering that they are in an Commerical office space and not in a residential home whether it be a single-family or multi dwelling, residential homes are known for power quality issues. Consider having the testers vary the voltage at the socket as well as using the neutral for a ground. This might help replicate some of the peoples random lights turning on and off.

Also consider asking the people who have been having trouble with their Waze lightbulbs to see if they have photovoltaics on the roof or in their neighborhood as itā€™s known to cause harmonics on the grid impacting small electronics.

1 Like

@Masterep.

Having hot and neutral swapped is inconsequential because of a few reasons. The lamp plugs are polarized and cannot be inverted. The power supply has a bridge rectifier that doesnā€™t care which way the voltage comes in. Its rectified to DC immediately so that wont matter at all. These are not capacitive dropper power supplies. Photovotaic supplies are also moot here for the same reason. Only if they used inexpensive capacitve dropper power supplies would that have any bearing at all.

The chances of any of those suggestions causing this are incredibly low.

I had all my bulbs on a smart UPS(pure sine wave). 3 of the four turned on by themselves after losing their link to the cloud. Upon re-establishing the link it turned on. They would request a new IP address even though they had just been assigned one via DHCP. I would see each bulbā€™s mac ID requesting a new IP after what looked like a boot up sequence. Like they re-started from scratch for some reason.

Also, the main issue that is being ignored by some is that none of the other ESP based bulbs or devices have this issue. Some use the exact same controller as the Wyze bulbs. As an example the Xaomi, (possibly the OEM for these bulbs) bulbs I have work fine.

I truly suspect the issue is a firmware update problem. When I compared the firmware dump from a good bulb to a problem bulb there was a lot of garbage code where the good bulb had normal looking info. This is just my findings of course but I get frustrated when I see people trying to push the issue onto the users when its been well established that many people are having hardware problems. Iā€™m sure Wyze has a percentage of failures they expected but as someone who pre-ordered, I feel pretty disappointed in the situation. Granted its only light bulbs of course so I keep that perspective.

1 Like

Hmmm. Iā€™m in the energy efficient world and we are finding ground and neutral wiring issues across the nation in every sector. The assumption the wiring in any building structure is not comprised has lead to costly repairs.

My suggestion was to simulate reality. Also, if you are interested, look up the research on ā€œlinear versus non-linear loads.ā€ Harmonic could also be a factor. It is a very complex issue for very strong engineers across multiple disciplines that will take a large effort to fix.

What Iā€™m speaking to is not common knowledge but the results of triaging todayā€™s complex energy issues that didnā€™t exist a few years ago as a result of new technologies connected by the electric grid. Grids exist insides homes, office, stores and most man made facilities as well as buildings to buildings.

My posting was not to create controversy but to try and help figure out what is going on with some of these products.

The same product will work at one location and then you move the same item to another home or building and it will fail because of the different electric distribution environment.

This seems to be the difference between my setup and my friendā€™s setup. I know he is knowledgeable and has the same equipment but he has odd camera issues. My cams work fine.

Weā€™ve been going through logs but still havenā€™t found this answer. It is something weā€™re actively working on and we arenā€™t pinning this on the users. Weā€™re sorry about the delay and the experience, folks.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help and please let us know if you find whatā€™s causing it.

I bought a Wyze bulb on November 22 and I started noticing the same issue.
Hope this helps:

• I noticed this when I moved the bulb to another room and then I put it back in the same room it was before, but maybe it was happening before. I also did a factory reset before placing the bulb to its original spot.
  • Whenever this happens, the app doesnā€™t show the bulb is ON, it appears as if it was OFF. I need to check my WyzeCam every 30mins to make sure itā€™s OFF and this is getting annoying.
  • This only happens at night ā† prolly cause I have a night rule (18h30-7h00)
    ā€“ FYI iOS app (beta) Schedule doesnā€™t show Saturday on iPad OS 13
  • Tonight is happening way too often
  • I thought it was caused by GeoLocation & IFTTT but I deleted that rule long time ago. Iā€™ll delete my Wyze account from IFTTT and see if that helps.
  • I updated the bulb firmware to 1.2.0.153 but nothing changed ā† This was also happening before joining the beta and updating all the firmware.
  • Iā€™m thinking of buying 4 more WyzeBulbs but Iā€™m afraid they are going to present the same issue.
  • I have my bulb turn on when WyzeCam detects motion and after 1 minute it turns off ā† This rule is working great and the reason why I want to buy more Wyze Bulbs. When the Bulb randomly turns on thereā€™s no motion event registered.
  • Vacation Mode is turned OFF
  • Wifi Strength = 3 bars
  • There hasnā€™t been any power outage since I installed the bulb.

Iā€™m going to factory reset my Wyze Bulb, Iā€™m going to delete every rule, delete the bulb and delete the device on Alexa and Iā€™m going to place the bulb in my room to see if the problem persists.

Iā€™m no expert but this seems to be either a glitch/bug or a defective bulb. Maybe some bulbs are way too sensitive to any power blip or fluctuations and that causes them to turn on but thatā€™s just my guess!

Thanks for your help!

I have four early release bulbs and all four turn on randomly by themselves. Two more than the other two but they all do it. I had to remove them because they would just randomly tun on.
On a side note I have two early release plugs also. Iā€™ve only used one just a couple weeks ago though. Butā€¦ it randomly turns on also!!! Very frustrating!
I have ZERO issues with my cameras.

Hi Jimjrfl

I had the same problem but with 3. I suspect its a software/firmware issue from the get go. My outlets have been OK, but who knows how may others had the same problem.

The only time I have had lights come one ā€œrandomlyā€ is when Alexa Guard mode was on. It wanted to randomly turn on things based on user data from my ā€œregionā€ which I guess is the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area. It would turn plugs and bulbs on randomly.

I had to turn that off.

I am having this problem. The lights in my bedroom cam on randomly 2 times in the middle of the night, last night. After being woken up by it both times I turned off the switch. I have 7 wyze bulbs installed currently and this has happened to all 7. I have 2 different light fixtures on the same circuit (on the same switch) with wyze bulbs and they have each turned on individually at random times. My point is, that if it is a voltage drop on the line shouldnā€™t it affect both bulbs on the circuit?

Has been and on going issue since day one. Wyze has been pretty quiet on the issue.

It would if it was a voltage drop issue but I highly suspect in most cases it is not. I ran all my bulbs on a sinwave UPS so there was zero chance of fluctuations. They still acted up.

The problem is either in the power supply of the bulb or in the firmware. I think its the firmware since the bulb I reflashed with other firmware worked fine.

I am down to one wyze bulb and one reflashed wyze bulb. The other 2 I took apart to try and figure out the issue.

Plus if it were a voltage drop problem the bulbs would come back on line normally to their last state.

you mentioned that you were behind a double-nat. did you have to do anything different to get your bulbs and plugs to connect? i have set up four v2 cameras with no problem but the bulbs and plugs always fail with a ā€œconnection timed outā€ error.