Bulbs turn on by themselves

There has been over 100 replays and no response from Wyze folks, why not?

Being awaken at 3am by the light turning on for no reason is terrible thing…since my bulbs are working with Wyze sensors (door opened) both products are not useful to me any more.

1 Like

Good question. I had a nice conversation with a support guy a month or so ago but we never found a solution.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I ended up canning three of four bulbs. I had violated the warranty in my troubleshooting so I did not expect Wyze to replace them. But I did expect a little more information about what they were seeing.

The last bulb (which always worked right) is now in a back door light in case it starts turning on for no reason it won’t wake me up…

It’s a shame because wifi bulbs are mature technology. There’s no real reason for this to be happening with such a high percentage per package. I had 75% failure. Sounds like you had total failure.

This will be my last post about the bulbs but I plan to watch the thread and see who else reports problems as the months go by.

1 Like

Can anyone from Wyze comment on the bulb issue (randomly turning on and NOT because of power blip). Happened to me yet again today on one of my Wyze bulbs. Clearly there is an issue by all the Wyze forum comments and Reddit comments.

Does Wyze acknowledge there is an issue?

What’s the plan for the bulb issue?

Thx

1 Like

There is a reddit thread?

Hey Wyze :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

Hello all!

The issue of ‘bulbs randomly turning on’ is one I am actively looking into. If you have this happen to you please go to My Account → Help & Feedback → Report an Issue and fill out the short form, selecting the bulb in question (please include the time you saw the light turn on, or a general time frame if you did not see it happen). Once it changes over to an email, please change the recipient to mstoneking@wyze.com so I can gather the logs and speak with our dev team about it.

Thanks everyone!

5 Likes

Thank you for the update

Sent u my log.

1 Like

That’s what kind of bothers me about all of this too. If it’s just a ESP-based device, there should be no need to reinvent the wheel.

I’m on day 2 of my bulbs working 100% again on my “old” router. From here on, I’m just going to wait it out using 2 separate routers and see if/when a new firmware is pushed and I’ll try again on my “real” router at that point.

1 Like

Sent my email with log

They use AWS right?

I can definitely confirm one specific situation that the Wyze bulb will go on by itself. If there is a “disruption” in wifi. (this is strange as impacted one Wyze bulb but not the other)

By “disruption” I mean the following situation detailed below (note simply turning my wifi connection off on my phone is not considered a "disruption in this case).

One of my Wyze bulbs just went on by itself when I was playing around with a completely different smart switch which was not a switch from Wyze, trying to enable a skill for that non Wyze device. In that process my wifi connection with my phone was dropped and guess what, the Wyze bulb turned on apparently because of this wifi “disruption”.

In Wyze app the on/off button would not work until I launched wifi on my phone. Then turned it off. I sent in the log to Wyze (very strange)

1 Like

Any update?

1 Like

Here’s an update… returning for a full refund! A problem such as this that is unique to ONLY Wyze bulbs and they want us to reboot our WiFi router! Lost all faith…

1 Like

I am sure they are working on it, but I had to stop using them because I had them in kids room and having bulbs randomly turning on at 2am is not good at all.

Helpfully fix will be here soon; I like Wyze, great price points but some things need to be fixed ASAP.

1 Like

@dmmatic, You have a positive outlook! I hope you are correct. But its been 3 months. My skepticism is growing.

Interestingly you say you have yours turning on at 2am. Are you in the eastern time zone? That is pretty much when mine would turn on. It did occur at other times but almost definitely at 2am more than not.

I wonder if it’s worth polling other people with this issue if they had it happen at the same time?

1 Like

I live in Phoenix, so we dont change time. I am only 100% certain with one bulb as i have camera in that room and that one does turn on (not every night) between 2am and 4am.

Second bulb will turn on around that time, but i think i saw it few times earlier as well, but since i dont have camera i cant be certain. I know it does go on, just cant confirm what time.

First two only work at night (after 8pm).

Third one is at the patio door and i think i saw it even during the day, but i cant be certain as anyone can randomly press the switch.

Long story short, its major bug in my opinion and needs to be fixed as product is not usable in my case.

1 Like

Just my suggestion.
Label the individual Wyze lamps so it can be identified.

Rotate the units into different lamp sockets around your home once a day, into different fixture types for each rotation, such as: desk lamps, table lamps, wall sconces, ceiling fixtures and ceiling fans.

Then take observational notes on the Wyze lamps’ operation during its term at each of the installed location.

The potential outcomes are:
Bad Wyze lamp or,
Bad install lamp socket or,
Bad WiFi connection or,
Bad Wyze application settings or,
Bad internal house wiring (voltage sags due to wiring) or,
Utility grid events such as sags, surges, PQ issues from PV inverters in the neighborhood, or long distribution circuit cut-overs periods.

Good hunting!

I have changed wi-fi modem, rotated lamps (added new lamps), sockets, lamps in different rooms and rotated bulbs and i am having the same outcome.

I did not add bulbs in different fixtures around the house as it would be impossible for me to verify.

Could it be wiring, maybe but my case is not unique and it seems there is few people here with the same issue.

Also, from customer experience perspective, this is bad, as customers should not monkeying around and switching bulbs around the house. Dont get me wrong, i dont mind this and i appreciate every suggestion, so thank you for your ideas + i dont want to hear wife telling me “your things never work” :grinning:.

Frustrating part is that i also have 9 Hue bulbs for over a year (still using them) and i have never had a single issue, and i even had them in same lamps i have Wyze now.

Reason why i have added Wyze is:

• price
  • Wyze Contact Sensors for doors/windows, if i could find door sensor that is same size and works with Homekit i would switch in a second. All sensors i have seen are much bigger
  • ecosystem

I still like Wyze, even with them refusing to add Homekit with new products. Honestly i dont think they will ever add Homekit…I still think Wyze is good, but if things do not work, its hard to use it.

I understand completely.

I have worked with the Philips lighting product design team for decades and this company always engineers their lamps robustly allowing for bigger, energy supply variations as well as wide environmental concerns, such as temperature, humidity, dampness, and wet location. The products are known to the best to work with and used, however you pay top price. Case-in-point both first generation in 2000 for CFLs and 2009-10 for LEDs were $30 per lamp for a 800 lumens, but it lasted over 10 years,

Wyze is not a lighting company, I suspect, they do not have an experience lighting engineer(s) on staff, however, they do adapt and recover seemly quickly. For the WiFi price point, it is not unexpected by the Lighting Industry for the experiences shared on these forums about Wyze’s lighting product.