AWS Outage Impacting Multiple Wyze Services - 12/15/21

I tried too but nothing can be edited until service is restored.

We’ll be prepared next time :+1:t2:

They sent one email… I received it at 1:30pm Eastern

1 Like

I didn’t get any emails!

2 Likes

Are you suggesting Wyze has any control over Amazon’s AWS? The only thing they could do is look into switching to a new provider.

1 Like

Apparently they have zero redundancy and are under the mercy of Mr. Bozos

5 Likes

I’m not an expert, but I’m Guessing AWS has different subscription levels for service redundancy and recovery. Since this has been an all day event, I wonder what level does WYZE pays for?

1 Like

I just got an In-App update from Wyze describing the problem with AWS! Thanks!
Would have been nice to get one when it started though.

2 Likes

Imagine we had all our fancy Toto bidets connected to Wyze plugs?

There would be quiet a bit of stink butt walking around out there

It’s a good thing I didn’t buy the WYZE Toilet !!

4 Likes

Yep. Stink butt.

dang, you beat me to the joke.

why does Wyze continue with AWS when their performance is so spotty

1 Like

So … my Wyze plugs (indoor and outdoor) require service from an Amazon data center hundreds of miles a away to go off/on? Or even to be controlled by an app on the same LAN?

I’ll have to check the setup doc, but I was under the impression that the plugs only needed a network connection to receive the schedule, not execute it. Why on earth is AWS on the critical path of turning my plugs off/on?

If AWS is in the path of local actions, then it is a boneheaded architecture by Wyze that contains an nececessary dependency on AWS, a reliabity risk, not to mention the reputational risk to Wyze.

Until todayI I liked the WWyze products, though tthey seemed a bit “green”. Now I see them as just toys.

5 Likes

12/15/21 4:11 PM PT - AWS is continuing to work on this outage. They’re trying to balance resolving the issue without accidentally overloading systems and haven’t found the right balance yet. We’ll continue to keep you updated as we hear more. We again apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of today’s outage.

6 Likes

Been looking for why there is no Cam Plus AI clips in the Event area FOR THE LAST 2 DAYS for all my cameras.
Bad, very bad!

1 Like

How will Wyze prevent this from happening in the future?

1 Like

That would be a different issue. Have you contacted support about that, Mipo? You should probably wait until after the AWS outage is resolved because it will be hard to isolate root cause right now. But we really want to get your AI up and running like it should be!

support.wyze.com

1 Like

I don’t have the level of access to say and suspect that there will be conversations on this topic when we’re out of the weeds. I’m sorry I can’t give you a concrete answer at this point.

3 Likes

Thank ya, @Fish - I am back up and running now (thermometer, at least) as I was able to get it re-added after many attempts.

Good luck to you too!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When this event is done, WYZE and all other businesses effected should demand a full investigation, i.e. Root Cause Analysis and preventative actions to be taken to insure this doesn’t happen again.

3 Likes