AWS Outage Impacting Multiple Wyze Services - 12/15/21

Absolutely agree. There should be push-notification function on the app letting us know that the service is down. Service down? Why are all your eggs in one basket? Some of these services should be load-balanced across other hosting providers. AWS is not 100% bullet-proof → as the past two weeks have shown with major outages twice in a month.

Somebody at Wyze should be strongly considering a plan to build some redundancy into your systems in case AWS crashes again. What if you had something vital on a Wyze plug as timer? I have my terrarium lights on a Wyze plug → not today I didn’t because your s**t was down.

You want us to use Wyze as an alarm host? No way! Not until your CEO sends out an email outlining the multiple layers of redundancy that Wyze has implemented to keep their products rolling.

I have to admit, though, that part of me feels like an idiot because I cannot turn on the lights in my living room → I never had to worry about the lights working before unless the power was out. I used to have an RF remote plug for the lights, that thing never failed and only cost a fraction.

Wyze: AWS didn’t let us down today, you did. Now go work on building some redundancy into your system.

5 Likes

I have the current plugs that support that feature so I’ll have to give it a try when service returns.

I have the outdoor plugs as well and I think they have that functionality as well.

Did Mr. Biden press the wrote button and bring everything down?

1 Like

Same issue, My mom just got 3 outdoor plugs and they werent turning on. I troubleshot them and figured it had to be an issue on Wyze’s end. Came home and sure enough.

1 Like

Same issue… I tried using Wyze support early today and which was a complete waste of time and I ended up resetting ALL of my devices. Thank you Wyze support for coming out hours later and telling me not to reset my devices; that wasn’t the least bit helpful.

3 Likes
4 Likes

@UserCustomerGwen if Wyze doesn’t take steps to reduce cloud dependence (local control DEFAULT when not outside the network the devices are connected to), I’m afraid I’ll be moving on from this company.

Been waiting since the day my pre-ordered Wyze Robot Vacuum got delivered for the software to support homes that have all the rooms around a central staircase connected to be able to get separated out into their own rooms. The app just sees my entire main floor as one giant room. Several tickets and requests for updates, zero communication.

Getting sick of Wyze’s [Mod Edit].

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

3 Likes

Nope. They are still on, and as long as power is not interrupted, they will record to the SD card BUT, you cannot connect to the cameras without the connection to their servers. Even from the same network. I’ve never liked that…

my bulbs & all but one Camera are still down…what gives?

[Mod Note]: Post was moved to this category for better visibility and consistency in grouping similar posts.

1 Like

Ummm :point_up_2::point_up_2:

This sounded like a good idea, so I tried to swap my Wyze Plug rules (on/off Christmas lights) to a schedule/time of day, but it says “device is offline”. Once they come back online, I am DEFINITELY swapping over to the “Time of Day” functionality.

I’m considering selling all my Wyze after this mess.

Recommendation for better alternatives?

4 Likes

Yes! I restarted my network moved the device inside reset and kept getting that error code I was thinking this thing is bricked because I know my Wi-Fi signal is strong. Wyze should have communicated this in an email and social media this was my last search to see if others had this message. Very frustrating.

2 Likes

Gotcha. But without a notification from Wyze, I would probably have done the same thing. In fact I did… with one of my bulbs. Best of luck to you!

1 Like

I agree - I think Wyze needs to take a break from development and focus on quality of service for the next few months.

3 Likes

LOL. I didn’t even think about that. Clapper reliability > Wyze reliability.

2 Likes

… or Amazon being not so honest.

3 Likes

My guess is, AMAZON Toasted a bunch of servers and now they’re going to Backup’s for the RESTORE.

2 Likes

I also have all of my wyze devices offline…multiple cameras, wyze bulbs, wyze robot vacuum, wyze plugs, wyze doorbell, etc. I read the status should be working but I can tell you it is not!

Please email us with updates vs us having to search forums!!

2 Likes

Why the H didn’t Wyze send out emails notifying us about the outage? I spend hours today trying to figure out whats going on, They are very quick to send out emails asking me to buy more junk but go into hiding when there is a problem???

6 Likes