Apple HomeKit Integration

All what custom firmware? I used the RTSP firmware from Wyze themselves. Took all of 5 minutes including the time to download it.

They also provide easy to follow instructions to install it. My 80 odd year old father who is not even sure what RTSP is was able to follow their instructions without a hitch.

I have 5 Eufy cams now myself including their doorbell and an battery powered outdoor camera. I like them a lot, but they have some warts too. :relaxed:

I’m familiar with the RTSP firmware. I was thinking more about the Homebridge plugin for Wyze / Xiaomi Dafang Cam

That was straightforward as well, select Plugins from the main menu then enter Wyze in the search bar. I used the one called Wyze Connected Home myself.

My own experience was very easy but I am sure it could be harder for some. I installed Homebridge itself on my iMac and that was literally one command in terminal I copied from the Homebridge website.

Then I scanned the Bar Code from the screen and added 3 plugins, Ring, Wyze, and Dummy Switches. All were very straightforward and simple. I have seen some, like Dafang, that have you edit config files etc. That’s just lazy coding and so not necessary.

Ok, I get it, and those are some good reasons.

We went all-in with Ubiquiti at work. We have a number 4 NVR’s, a 48-Port POE switch, and another switch, I forget the size. We set up a Mesh Network with their hardware so we get Wifi everywhere, including out freezers. We have been installing cameras everywhere, also inside our freezers which are around -10 to -12F. there must be around 30-40 cameras now. Out old setup there was 12 I think. We are a food factory and so the standards have gone way up. Food tampering type of thing. Which would think is pretty slim, but also cameras at the sink before production. making sure everyone washes before going through.

I don’t have Ubiquiti at home. Maybe overkill for my small house. I do have 5MP POW cameras. Currently 6 of them. 1 is a dome PTZ camera at the cormer of my house since my house is on a corner. So I have a wide view around 2 sides of my house. But that system doesn’t use Homekit either. I am a Homekit house and most of my stuff works on Homekit, Including my Rachio 3 and my Ecobee 4. My Garage door can be Siri controlled and it’s linked to my Garage lights.

There’s really no point of not also supporting Apple since the moved to allow software support over having the hardware chip. If my $5 WEMO plug can support Google, Amazon, and Homekit, why doesn’t WYZE?

2 Likes

Sure, but the RSTP doesn’t give you any of the motion sensing/person sensing. Which, I find useful.

I’ll have to dive back into this again–I repurposed my Pi for something else so now might need to rebuild my homebridge install.

Person Detection has never worked for me reliably on Wyze cameras. YMMV.

Motion detection works under RTSP just fine so that’s available if you need/want it.

Pi’s are extraordinarily inexpensive if you need another. But I moved Homebridge from a Pi to an old computer I put Linux on. It seems to be very happy there!

Personally I would avoid HOOBs as its approach has actually gotten more difficult than vanilla Homebridge.

Exactly. No other system is easy to install and use in the Apple ecosystem.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Apple HomeKit Integration:

I was part of the beginning with Wyze and backed the early projects with the hope of homekit in the future. I recently decided to change direction. Eufy makes some great cameras for a reasonable price. Philips Hue was expensive with the hub but now everything is connected. No more promises. No more waiting. Wyze lost me as a customer.

Is it possible to create a bridge device to enable Apple HomeKit integration with existing Wyze products?

Yes, you can use Homebridge (or HOOBS) among others. This is software that you run that will bring otherwise unsupported devices into HomeKit, including Wyze.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t find Eufy’s prices to be reasonable, at least in comparison with Wyze. But you get what you pay for I guess. I also spent time thinking they would bring HomeKit to Wyze, not really holding my breath anymore.

1 Like

That’s why cameras exist at Wyze’s price point. To some people 25 is reasonable and 32 is not. Perfectly understandable. The extra 7 dollars is well worth it for me.

But it’s not reasonable for all I understand.

1 Like

I find homebridge a bit clunky and don’t understand why Wyze doesn’t release their own bridge device to solve this problem.

I am unaware of any hardware vendor that provides bridge devices or software. Typically they either build support for a given platform in or they don’t.

Homebridge and other such systems fill in the gaps if you will.

Phillips Hue and Wemo both offer bridges. Not sure if they’re really needed anymore but something for Wyze to consider.

First Hue’s bridge and Wemo’s bridge are to enable non WiFi communication with their devices. And each also contains custom processing for their products.

Second by the way you are describing “bridges” Wyze has several already. There is the Sense Bridge that the motion and contact sensors connect to. There is the hub or “bridge” that the Wyze lock connects to, and the Wyze “bridge” that the outdoor camera connects to.

HomeKit is supported via device software that exists primarily on the device itself not a “bridge” or hub.

Please add Homekit secure video support.

Barring Apple changing their requirements HKSV is not possible with the current crop of Wyze camera hardware. Maybe in future generations of the hardware. V3 or V4?

1 Like

:+1: :+1:

I used to follow the car makers ( save a few pennies cutting corners here and there, and it adds up to real money over 100,000 units ) and base many decisions on how many of whatever was being bought or sold.

Now I’m more in the “money value of time” mode - how long do I have to live and how much of that irreplaceable time do I really want to spend being annoyed by substandard products that don’t work?

That said, I still love tinkering and still use a bunch of V2s while understanding exactly what their limitations and cost advantages are.

Wyze - “It is what it is.”

2 Likes