Apple HomeKit Integration

I don’t think you understand. Homebridge is software running on a local server that controls non-HomeKit compliant devices. I believe it may be emulating the IoT platform that HomeKit also does not support. It is cross-platform and there are other cross-platform translation applications that are designed to run on servers within organizations or homes.

I thought about using it, but it has been around for a couple of years as a bandaid and with the advances of home devices, it just seems more sensible to purchase newer more compliant devices than relying on an open-source project. If I had older devices and already was using HomeBridge I would be more likely to continue.

It is true that moving to newer more compliant devices will be more expensive than older devices and devices that don’t want to spend development dollars for all platforms. I am fine with that, I am supporting HomeKit devices because I believe that Apple will continue to support them long term and I also believe in Apple’s higher standards for information sharing than Google and especially Amazon. Apple has always required a premium, but as I use decade old hardware and 5 year old devices that Apple continues to support and provide updates for, I am comfortable with putting my eggs in the HomeKit basket.

Actually I think you may have misinterpreted my remarks. I was trying to, politely, explain that a “bridge” is not what that person thought.

I am an active programmer myself and have participated in IOS development for years. I am very familiar with exactly what Homebridge is and how it interfaces with HomeKit. But I do appreciate your good intentions.

Yeah, that wasn’t necessarily specific to you as much as a general comment to the tread.

Just FYI if you select the button that actually says Reply you will then be replying to the thread itself. If you select the arrow on the far right your reply is specifically targeted at a user. It is a little confusing at the start.

I don’t think you understand. Homebridge is software running on a local server that controls non-HomeKit compliant devices. I believe it may be emulating the IoT platform that HomeKit also does not support. It is cross-platform and there are other cross-platform translation applications that are designed to run on servers within organizations or homes.

I thought about using it, but it has been around for a couple of years as a bandaid and with the advances of home devices, it just seems more sensible to purchase newer more compliant devices than relying on an open-source project. If I had older devices and already was using HomeBridge I would be more likely to continue.

It is true that moving to newer more compliant devices will be more expensive than older devices and devices that don’t want to spend development dollars for all platforms. I am fine with that, I am supporting HomeKit devices because I believe that Apple will continue to support them long term and I also believe in Apple’s higher standards for information sharing than Google and especially Amazon. Apple has always required a premium, but as I use decade old hardware and 5 year old devices that Apple continues to support and provide updates for, I am comfortable with putting my eggs in the HomeKit basket.

Oops sorry. Hadn’t noticed that. I posted back in the main thread (hopefully).

1 Like

I understand that the current version of Wyze Cams are unable to support HomeKit video and wouldn’t mind replacing my installation for new cameras. I do hope that you will support HomeKit soon for your newly announced Thermostat and room temperature monitors. Those I really want to integrate. I have currently Emerson thermostats but prefer the new Wyze with it’s patent pending wheel. :smile:

1 Like

I will never buy the Wyze thermostat unless it supports HomeKit.
Wyze won’t even make Siri Shortcuts available.
I really love this thermostat, but lack of these features is a dealbreaker. .

1 Like

Wyze would rather flood the market with buggy, low-priced IoT devices than actually make any investment in their products.

They’re clearly in it for the low cost, high volume sales.

If they cared at all about the customer experience - that is, beyond the purchase price point - they would be adding third-party integrations (eg HomeKit, Siri, and so on) thereby adding value via features and benefits.

Time and time again, thru their responses and actions, they are telling us they’re not interested. And yet we flock back to their forum to request features that will ultimately fall on deaf ears. But hey, now they got a door lock, fitness wristband, and scale in their product lineup.

How well do you think anyone of those individual products performs?

1 Like

Umm I guess you are unaware of the integrations they have added. Alexa, including rich event support and routines, also Google Assistant, and of course the IFTTT integration. In point of fact the only integration they don’t natively support is HomeKit/Siri. However there are a number of 3rd party integrations available that expose Wyze devices to HomeKit via Homebridge.

But I am guessing you were unaware of all of that?

1 Like

They also have said they are researching SmartThings integration

1 Like

Cool!

Name it, and tell me how to set this up.

I’m willing to retract that portion of my contention. No, I did not realize they supported those (tunnel vision) as I avoid them for security/privacy reasons.

I still stand by the thesis that - they are commoditizing buggy, low priced IoT devices at a rate that outpaces their ability to properly refine said products to bring them out of, what feels like, a never-ending public beta.

Thank you for bringing the earlier point re: integration to my attention.

EDIT: readability

2 Likes

[Mod Edit]. My toilet paper has Alexa. Google is my toilet paper. IFTT is EXTREMELY limited. Of course you’re aware of that.

There are 3 plugins for Homebridge that support Wyze products. They get actively updated as Wyze releases new products.

See below:

1 Like

Setting up Homebridge is straight forward and can be done on Windows, MacOS, Linux, Raspberry Pi and other platforms. Usually in less than 15 minutes. I have been using it for over a year with no issues.

[Mod Edit]

Your welcome I appreciate your integrity! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I could also spend more upfront. And not have to do the work myself. [Mod Edit]

Some posts were removed or edited that did not follow the Community Guidelines. Please flag posts that violate the guidelines so the moderators can respond appropriately.

Key points from the guidelines to keep in mind:

• Remember to criticize ideas, not people
  • Please avoid name-calling
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream
  • Keep posts relevant to Wyze

Important sections:

Always Be Civil

Somtimes We Disagree

2 Likes