Wyzecam V3 - Larger than 32GB Micro SD Card

I don’t see the 10 days limit on my v3, I can still view clips from 5/24 for sure on a full 64G card.

I am hitting the limit doing continuous recording on the v3. Are you doing motion events only? Maybe that explains the difference.

I also suspect it might not be a 10 day limit, but rather a 100GB limit.

That makes sense, I’m doing events only

I use Etcher to format my microSD cards for my GoPro, Wyze, dashcam etc. Seems to be a common issue when you want to use larger storage.

It is because the Wyze APP cannot properly format in FAT32 (due to licensing fees they did not pay for). So to make it work you must use a third party formatter program on your computer and FULL FORMAT in FAT32 (not QUICK FORMAT)

Wyze cam v2 formats just fine. Did they pay the license fee for v2 but not for v3/outdoor? I don’t think so. Once a formatted card is inserted it can reformat just fine.

1 Like

I don’t know about the WCO, but When V3 was first released, it had no support for FAT32 for capacities over 32gb. Then someone here reported that the latest firmware re-added FAT32 support. The camera should now be able to format higher-capacity cards as well.

I pre-ordered a V3 and when I got it, I was able to use a 128GB card in it almost immediately that I already had used in a v2.
I’m not sure why someone would say with such certainty “it had no support” when for sure they worked, but had to be formatted somewhere else first and then could be reformatted (if needed) on the v3.

Did you miss the part about ONLY the early V3 firmware had no support for FAT32 SD cards larger than 32gb?

In fact the first firmware only supported sxFAT for large cards.

Search the forum for all the complaint’s about this issue. It has died down because Wyze fixed it in later firmware versions.

Correction. I made a mistake here. The early versions of V3 firmware supported only FAT32 (not exFAT) for high-capacity SD cards. Since high-capacity SD cards normally are sold formatted as sxFAT and that formatting with Windows result in exFAT, caused lots of problems.

Wyze fixed the problem in later firmware versions by adding support for exFAT.

1 Like

No I didn’t miss it. I don’t know how early is early. I preordered, so I would think the version I got is early.

Post the V3’s firmware version.

At this point it’s the latest firmware, but it has worked with>32gb for a while now, it just has to be formatted outside the v3 when the card is new. Then v3 can see it and even reformat it. I haven’t tried reformat for a while since it was able to do it and I don’t reformat it am the time for no reason.

Geez.

The V3 can use large-capacity SD cards from day one, as long as they are formatted FAT32. Which is what you do, since you format the cards in another device.

The issue (and what this thread is about), is that early V3 firmware can’t read exFAT-formatted SD cards.

Wyze Wizards Customer Support, Olive on 08-16-2021

The Wyze Cam v3 supports 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB Class-10 microSD cards in FAT32 format. The camera will recognize larger cards (64GB+) that use exFAT, but these cards are less stable and are more likely to experience issues in the long run. While there are ways to force larger cards onto the FAT32 format, they are less likely to be recognized by the camera and may corrupt your data.

My question:
So the simple answer for best performance 32GB is the largest?

Olive
Yes, correct.

Notice I said, “can use”, not “can support”.

You go ahead and use 32gb or less. I don’t have a problem with it :grin:

As of firmware 4.36.3.19 on October 23, 2021, I was able to insert Samsung EVO Select 256GB Micro SD cards formatted as exFAT and have them immediately recognized by my two Cam v3’s, and the Cam v3’s could then format them to FAT32. Recognition survived camera reset and/or power off/on. The remaining issue (not yet fully tested) is whether the cameras can make full use of the space. According to previous posts, it sounds like they may be limited to 100GB of continuous recording.

1 Like

It def makes use of the full card

Does anyone know the continuous recoding limit for each model? I have 3 pan and 2 camv3 and they are all doing the same thing as below. Is there anyway to get the cam v3 to use the entire card?

Pan 128gb card 1118ish. 13 days

Camv3 256 card 82ish. 8 days

What if you flip the cards how much do they use? Did you mean uses 118 GB’ish?

As a note there are rumors “out there” that if you use a 128GB with the v3, it records all the capacity, if you use a > 128GB, it only uses 48GB worth of the space… Testing Wyze Cam V3 with 512GB MicroSD Card (UPDATE: It only records 48GB onto my 512GB card.) - YouTube

1 Like

Not sure where my post went. Anyway I saw a youtube where the results were, with a 512GB card it recorded like 48GB, with a 128GB card, it recorded like 112GB or something like that. Weird…

1 Like