Wyze would sell more V3 cameras if they didn't need to have power recycled periodically

I plead guilty on the “hedge” by the way. Sometimes a BIOS or OS can recover and sometimes it can’t. (Think for example of a Ctrl-Alt-Del in DOS or Windows; depending just how hosed a system is, it may or may not do something.)

1 Like

If I only knew  more I’m pretty sure I could kick your guys’ ass. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do have to say, this is a very caustic thread; not since the OUYA have I seen this much unwarranted hate.

I get that everyone wants 100% uptime and perfect performance, but that just is not realistic at this price point. Now, before I sound like I’m attacking Wyze, these devices, just like all others, serve a purpose and do their job very well. Interestingly enough, I’ve made the same statement on the Blink forums about their cameras. It seems that people are not researching the product well enough and are not making the infrastructure investment they need for the performance they want.

If you want an HD, always-on, inexpensive solution, understand that a bit of legwork will come with that solution. This can be in the form of physical interface with said devices or infrastructure investments to interface on your behalf. This is just the dance we do in the ménage à trois between cost, features, and usability.

Ultimately, it is a shame that individuals are experiencing lockups on their devices, however, this is to be expected with all things at the consumer level. That being said, it would be great to see consumer level solutions, like the smart plug option, for people instead of insulting the device or company for what seems to be a very rare issue.

3 Likes

Bringing reason to a knife fight?? :fork_and_knife:

see which, ‘dust up’

LIked this, btw…

Don’t recall seeing it posted here before… :slight_smile:

…unless @bryonhu did and he may well have because he’s testing testing always testing wiring things too and fro… :wink:

2 Likes

You had to whip that out here in public?

What are you doing with such a cheap camera? :thinking:

2 Likes

Trying to get it to work reliably.
It is a good camera, sharp picture, lots of features.
When it works it is a 10.
When it doesn’t work it is a 0.
I like the camera, just wished it didn’t have to have a power cycle now and then.
I have fixed the problem. No, I have “Kludged” a work-around.
I have added a smart switch for each camera.
I was hoping that this forum could come up with a real solution so that we could put that on the Wyze wishlist.
Unfortunately, that has not happened.

3 Likes

@tomac14, you seem deflated, brother. What are your thoughts on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_is_the_enemy_of_good

The opening paragraphs.

People have established at least 4 different and working projects that control every aspect of these cameras (Dafang Hacks, mini_hacks, etc.). Surely someone with sufficiently advanced experience could easily code a watchdog timer for this bog standard chip, device, and *nix OS and contribute it to one of those open distributions… if that were possible.

1 Like

You misunderstand.

1. I am not deflated.
  2. I am not striving for perfection because that doesn’t exist in this world.
  3. I am an engineer and looking for a solution, not perfection.
3 Likes

real solution = integrated solution :slight_smile:

Cheers, my friend

@Customer and @ssummerlin are like, 'Eff ‘im if he can’t keep his credentials in his pants.’ I am nice. They are… less nice. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, some people have a problem with that.

1 Like

Ah. The poor pebble story. Thanks.

1 Like

This is good info not generally understood. Humbly offered to enrich the thread.

2 Likes