Wyze would sell more V3 cameras if they didn't need to have power recycled periodically

A watchdog timer might help. If the timer is not updated periodically because the firmware is stuck for any reason, the device goes on a reset.

1 Like

Great idea.
Please tell the people at Wyze about your idea and that they should add it to their next firmware update.

Seriously? Whatā€™s going to trigger the watchdog if the device is already, by definition, stuck?

It is called a computer ā€œInterrupt.ā€

Server ping. Itā€™s already a wishlist topic somewhere.

Server ping and a watchdog timer are not the same.
The watchdog timer is local inside the camera.
The server ping is at the server end.
What is needed is a local solution, a watchdog timer interrupt.

1 Like

We really need both. One for auto-restart and one for notification.

Good idea

Both are already wishlist requests. I wish I had status updates for these issues and recommended partial solutions.

That seemed a little sarcastic. :slight_smile:

Maybe, but it is the technical name for it.
Computers have many ā€œComputer Interruptsā€
The watchdog timer is just one of them.
The interrupt literally interrupt the computer from what it is doing and sends it to the interrupt routine.

1 Like

That, too.

No worries, a good turn in the thread, Iā€™m learningā€¦ :slight_smile:

ā€¦it wouldnā€™t hurt ya to :heart: me though if ya got an extra one layinā€™ aroundā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

A Heart Coin ???
I donā€™t even have a Round Tuit

2 Likes

Donā€™t know what computers you guys are smoking but a locked up camera isnā€™t going to be listening or acting on any interrupts (in many/most cases).

1 Like

:popcorn:

2 Likes

A watchdog timer interrupts a computer from whatever it is doing or locked up from and send it to a special watchdog time routine.
What am I smoking ?
A BSEE, MSEE and 30 years working with computers and software. Computers I worked with during these 30 years had a watchdog timer and associated routine.
Maybe your experience is different.

2 Likes

Hedge.

Appeal to authority.

1 Like

Have you tried setting a rule to reboot the camera off hours to see if it helps?

Sigh. His old work (and e-peen measuring) in embedded systems has almost nothing to do with these cameras, unless the SOCs used in the Wyzecams have such provisions. Please feel free to cite them. (A quick search didnā€™t turn up anything.)

Extrapolating from a small set of personal experience is never a great idea.

Maybe he was suggesting using new systems?

1 Like

image Emily Dickinson?