Wyze Robot Vacuum Setup Issue - 1/25/21

This did indeed work for me until it got stuck under my chair. Also found the vacuum much louder than the Shark it is replacing. It only completed half of the house before it got stuck so I can’t truly compare the vacuum quality yet.

Anyone else notice it is much louder than expected? It’s a non issue since I typically run them over night but just curious.

You wrote “using at least the 2.16.48 iOS app”. Where can we find that specified?

In the Wyze app, go to Account > About, and the version should be up near the top.

The latest iOS app is 2.17.21 (January 26, 2021) from Apple Store.

The chat is silent…hope the Wyzerds are hard I mean very hard at work on the solution, or break the bad news and tell us to return them.

1 Like

I see a lot of angst here and I get it. I was super excited to get my robot vacuum. From the day I placed the preorder to now every time we’ve swept or vacuumed we’ve said, “Won’t it be cool when we don’t have to do this by hand anymore!” We have 3 young children and sweep the main kitchen area 3-4 times a day so automating this will legitimately improve our quality of life.

I’m sure this take won’t be super popular, but as a former tech support person and a current software engineer (neither role affiliated with Wyze in any way) I’ve been in their shoes. Sometimes things break. Sometimes it’s your fault. Sometimes you’re the victim of circumstance. In all cases everyone I’ve ever known in those roles really, really wants to fix the issue.

For those of you who are saying this situation makes you question your purchase or your faith in the company, etc. that’s totally your choice and I won’t make a judgment on that at all. With all my biases mentioned above I’m leaning toward giving them a chance to fix it, even if it takes a few days to get there. Problems happen so my final opinion will be based on their ability to resolve that problem and so far I’m OK with where it’s at. You are welcome to feel differently.

For those who are indicating that the people involved are somehow not focusing on fixing this or are looking for a scapegoat to pass the blame to I don’t see any evidence to support that at all. Feel free to disagree with me and assume the worst out of the company, but in my case I’m just going to wait it out (for the time being) and see what the results are.

Also, I tried the non-smart features (which are still pretty smart) and other than one piece of furniture having ‘just’ the right height to make the vacuum think it can go under, but have the LIDAR sensor get stuck it worked like a champ. Once I get all the features I think I’m going to love it.

Obviously I hope the fix comes sooner rather than later, but my experience is that sometimes these fixes are tricky and you always want to make sure the fix really works. Nothing’s worse than rushing a “fix” and finding out that it doesn’t work, or even makes the situation worse.

7 Likes

I am one of the lucky ones, (knock on wood). My Wyze vac has worked well right out of the box. It got even better when they added room editing. The only glitch was that one afternoon when it seemed that everyone got disconnected, but they seemed to fix that expeditiously.
I would encourage others to hang in there. The lidar works great at mapping and I can just tell it which rooms to clean while I’m away at work. It is a huge step up from our Ecovacs Deebot S11.
I have many Wyze devices and have been happy with the products and customer service. I have confidence that they are working hard at making it all work. And no, I have no affiliation with the company. Just a satisfied customer.

1 Like

I second this.

I’ve been watching that Service Status page for the past few days ever since my vacuum arrived and have been disappointed in the lack of transparency and communication from Wyze.

Also, adding more technical details would also be appreciated, certainly by myself and I would imagine by many others. Wyze, if you’re worried about confusing “non-technical” users/customers, just split it into a separate paragraph in the status update or give it a “Technical Details” (or similar) heading… [edit: or, if nothing else, just post it in this thread]

I have a background in IT, so although I understand the reasoning which is probably behind only stating “there is an issue,” (there may not be a root cause precisely identified, don’t want to mislead users, etc.)… it’s irritating to not have any clue about what’s going on, or even a rough idea of what might be causing issues.

Even if it’s something bad.

I would imagine many of us would much rather hear “we’re going to have to make a couple of major changes behind the scenes, and sorry, but it might be a week and a half before this is fixed, but we’re not sure” versus just hearing “we’re working on the problem.” The purpose of a service status page is to communicate to customers what you know when you know it when things hit the fan.

Sorry for the rant, but like Kc1738, this has been annoying me for the past few days…

4 Likes

I fully agree! Well said. Give them time.

1 Like

I think Wyze has obviously failed to consider the human cost of not being able to run your new vacuum for a few days.

1 Like

Agreed — I think they absolutely deserve a chance to fix it.

This made me chuckle, but it’s exactly right — for example, sometimes in software development, you fix one bug and fixing that bug creates 6 other bugs… Been there, done that — it happens.

Said in a non-technical way, think of whack-a-mole… Knock one down, 3 more pop up; knock those down and while you’re doing that, 2 more pop up, etc.

I think some of the frustration stems from calling support, and being mostly led to believe that something is wrong with our setups/network/ devices instead of Wyze bugs not even related to any of that. Some of us completely redid our home networks for no reason at all. Those of us in the IT field go into instant frustration if support says … it’s your network when we know it’s not.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you made up the word, Wyzerds, or if it’s been floated around, but this is the first I’m seeing it, and that is freaking awesome! I mean, it’s such a perfect name for the Wyze Devs…a mix of Wyze (the company), Wizards (while most people think of magic, this term actually has a technical computing definition dealing with software and automation) and Nerds (technical background stuff)…Wyzerds…just absolutely genius! I hope it sticks. I think I’m going to use if from now on when I talk about the Devs…unless anyone indicates the devs don’t like it for some strange reason, then I’ll refrain…I would personally LOVE IT and encourage it if I were them.

So, I received my vacuum yesterday and it works great.

I literally took it out of the box, put the edge brush on, put it on the charging base and went through the quick start instructions. I downloaded the App, added the device and followed the instructions within the app. (My wifi password doesn’t contain any special characters, just numbers and letters. I’ve seen that mentioned) The first time I entered my wifi password to move to configure the wifi with the vacuum, I didn’t see the vacuum’s wifi (WVCR-XXXX). I realized I missed a step (intrigued toddlers were crowding me and trying to touch). The Quick Start guide says to hold both the Home and Power button for 3 seconds to enter wifi configuration mode, I was distracted (again, toddlers) but I held down just ONE button for about 5 seconds before it spoke to me about the Wifi. When it did that, I closed the app completely (even from background) and went through the process again, saw the vacuum’s wifi and connected. I am honestly not sure if it was the home button I pushed or the power button I pushed… but I know I only pushed just one for about 3-5 seconds, not both. After the vacuum was added to the app I was notified to update the firmware for the vacuum and I did that with no problems.

Yes @carverofchoice I created that it seemed like a good term to use at the time. Not ment to offend by any means. Hope they get the humor, and @Keleigh that is awesome you stumbled upon the solution by sheer accident and worked. Pretty funny might I add, but congrats. As with @sambition he also had no issues and sounds very similar to your solution…BUT I’m going to treat this like playing scratch-off tickets. The odds are very low. I’m giving them time, they will pull it together. As with what @Mach6 and @rb97 said. I appreciate the fact that they are not giving up.

2 Likes

When I see the WVCR-XXXX it asks for a PW. What is the PW for the vacuum?

Are we suppose to open a ticket if our vacuum is still unable to register or are they still working on the fix?

They are still working a fix, but you can still open a ticket

Would be nice if we knew. But they’re keeping us in the dark. Over 24 hours since the last update (again).

I appreciate all of you glass half-full folks. And normally I would be too. As someone not in the tech realm but rather the customer service world, there’s no excuse for the silence on their end. Maybe I’ve come to expect too much from the cute little start up who constantly was touting themselves as “driven by the customer” — but to have all these early adopters out there with beta apps installed desperately waiting to give it a go — the lack of any updates in over 24 hours just doesn’t hold up well.

Transparency is key in the customer service world. If there’s no update yet, that’s fine. But if this was Apple, they’d be letting us know there was no update. It’s as easy as writing a post here.

I’m confident it will be fixed. But there’s literally no reason to leave us in the dark.

2 Likes

@gvodvarka I don’t believe the vacuum (WVCR_xxx) has a password.

• When you get to the part where you connect your phone to WVCR_xxx (Vacuum’s WiFi) it will disconnect from your home WiFi and switch automatically.
  • You may see a waning that Internet is not available and if you want to keep the WVCR connection, you want to keep it.
1 Like