Wyze plugs KEEP going offline, with only fix being pulling it and replugging it in

Thats understandable when there are very important priorities such as selling light strip, or a truck with a cam stuck on it. Why would security be more imporant than that?

1 Like

There should be a new firmware going to beta soon to address the plug offline issues. I will let you know when it is released

3 Likes

Thanks for that information Jason.

1 Like

@WyzeJasonJ From your lips to Godā€™s ears! These things have been driving me batty for months now.

Thanks Jason

I did get an e-mail from Jason at wyze and he did say they were working on this problem. Guess the problem will go to beta testing and see how it works. Canā€™t be to soon for me itā€™s very aggravating to have them go off line when I am miles away from home.

Iā€™m going to try and hang in with Wyze havenā€™t had any big issues except these 2021 plugs

Iā€™m not impressed. It takes them so long to acknowledge the issue and they are still working on the fix. And there is no warranty that the fix will work properly. Too bad I canā€™t wait. I really want to have everything in one app but these plugs already went back to Amazon and Iā€™m using Kasa instead.

I dont believe when ā€œfixesā€ and ā€œupdatesā€ soon are announced. I think its just to calm people for a while.
I was told well over a year ago the app for the thermostat would be updated to provide more usage info ( a ā€œsmartā€ thermostat only provides the number of hours run everyday? useless- the one I removed for this one was 16 years old and had more data) that NEVER happened. then a couple months ago they FINALLY acknowledged a problem with hold feature of the app BUT it wouldnt be fixed until the next update, yes AFTER the heating season. Was it fixed with the latest update? NOPE!!!

1 Like

Kenny, Iā€™m taking a wait and see attitude for the moment. I canā€™t justify trashing the cam investment but I needed to have reliable plugs this month so replaced these with Kasa. Not a big deal from the app perspective, I already have sprinkler, thermostat and lock apps, along with an oddball camera and Wyze.

The ā€œvisionā€ of Wyze; providing a large amount of interactivity between a range of devices, as well as having some controls over each other, is wonderful. But, maybe their product line is an overreach or simply too fast to market. Kasa has stuck more to the basic security/automation piece, which may be short-sighted or it could be responsibly so. A plug, switch, or camera is basic functionality; it should be a priority to keep them running and get an issue fixed.

It seems Wyze is trying to out-compete SmartThings, by providing inexpensive hardware of many (and some weird) types to the mix. I have my doubts thatā€™s a winning strategy: butting up against an integrator with a variety of APIs. All they need is a good app and they let their partners do the heavy lifting of dealing with hardware.

I and many here do not put much Stock into Wyze, I too was on board (early)ā€¦but the speed of products and NOT FOCUSING are a core segment makes Wyze the Motel 6 of Smart Products. And as far of trashing productsā€¦My GoodWill and some unlucky buyers have the honor of dealing with Wyze. I still have 2 Outdoor Cams, Door Bell, SmartPlugs, Vacuum but will be replacing (Ring) as I have purchased to be installed. Good Luck.

3 Likes

Keep in mind, Kasa is just a piece of TP-Link.

Yep Bill, true. I was just looking for something that will work for the moment. I still hope Wyze brings the plugs back to life since I have 4 of them. I got a couple of Kasa to fill an immediate need.

But Kasa also adding products to Smart Things, which is a smart move as many of us have locks, t-stats, sprinkler controllers, and not to forget TVs and Smart phones that arenā€™t Wyze.

Iā€™m with you. I have kasa plugs and power strips and have for a while. Wyze has released a new beta firmware for the plugs todayā€¦

1 Like

I canā€™t let WildBill take the hill by himself so I signed up for the beta firmware for the plug. Iā€™m on Android and wonā€™t have the firmware until tomorrow.

I was reading the reviews in the Google app store. Wow, there are a lot of pissed off customers.

2 Likes

Thanks and good luck! I feel like Iā€™m already a beta tester using their released firmware. No chance Iā€™ll ever be joining the beta team again. It didnā€™t go well for me the last time I tried when the initial outdoor cam came out. Those cams along with the hub are now dust collectors in my closet.

1 Like

Give them to Goodwill. Itā€™s the Gift that keeps on giving.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the new beta firmware for the Wyze Plug (2021), if so, how is it doing so far?

I never had a issue with my 6 Wyze Plugs. I have them on each Indoor Cam so when a Firmware fails to reboot the Cam(and they do)ā€¦I can switch ON/OFF the plug to get my Indoor Cam back On-Line.

1 Like

I installed it on my four plugs. Too early to give any information one way or the other. Mine were staying online and hadnā€™t failed for several weeks.

2 Likes