Wyze plugs KEEP going offline, with only fix being pulling it and replugging it in

I have about 10 Wyze plugs throughout my 900 square foot home. Several of them KEEP going offline. Like, several times a week. This happens despite nearby plugs having no issues whatsoever. The only solution is to unplug and replug in the device. But since one of the main reasons I got these plugs were to be able to control things when I’m away from home, it going offline while I’m away making it impossible to use.

I’ve verified the WIFi signal is strong near the problem plugs. I’ve even moved and plugged in other plugs right near these bad apples and they still work fine. Any idea what is going on and how I can fix this very frustrating issue? The Wyze help feature just keeps saying it’s a WiFi issue, which I’ve verified it’s not. So I’m at a loss.

2 Likes

Make sure you don’t have any old rules for those Plugs that may be affecting their hours.

1 Like

I’ve never set up rules on them, because I wanted to use Google Home routines to power most of those things. I can confirm there are no rules on the problem plugs.

2 Likes

And thanks for the swift reply!!!

Have you tried swapping out the problem plugs with others to see if it’s the plug or the location.

1 Like

Yep. I’ve moved a few plugs around. Even a plug from a different brand. No issues.

My C by GE plug even works in our unattached garage without issues.

I think what @WildBill is asking is have you plugged a good plug into the same outlet a bad plug fails in. The thought there that maybe there is WiFi interference, or the outlet is changing state, like from a wall switch or dimmer.

I presume you haven’t shared these with anyone, or given anyone your account login info.

And what about Google Home? Can it be performing any scheduled actions (I don’t have any experience with Google Home).

1 Like

Hi, @Newshound, sorry if I wasn’t clear with that earlier. Yep, I’ve plugged other plugs into these spots. And no, these outlets aren’t connected to any switch. And Google Home can’t knock the plug offline. It can only turn it on or off based on commands or routines. But it can’t even connect to it. Because it says Wyze Home is ofline.

Well, with a small home like yours and no WiFi interference at the outlets (proved by other more successful Plugs working in the same spot), I’d wonder if something isn’t wrong with the affected Plugs. I’d normally wonder if your radio isn’t on it’s way out on your router, but if only specific plugs are having trouble that shouldn’t be the case. You may want to reboot your router however, as they can pick up weirdness in relation to specific hardware addresses. If that doesn’t fix it, then you may want to call Support to see about replacements:

Customer Support

There are many ways to contact Wyze. Their phone number is (206) 339-9646, or you can chat with an agent or create a ticket on the support site.

They’re open for support between 4 am-8 pm PT Monday through Friday, and 8 am-4 pm PT Saturday.
[note due to typhoon Rai recovery, hours will be 6 AM - 6 PM PT for the next 5 days at least]

1 Like

Yeah, the router is less than two months old. We bought it when we bought the house. And we’ve rebooted it several times in the past two weeks as various Wyze products have gone offline unexpectedly (the big one turned out to be the AWS issue, but I never got a notification from the company that there was something bigger going on).

I think I’ll reach out to Wyze support. It was where I was leaning, but I wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed any other options/fixes.

1 Like

Mine are doing the same thing. I keep having to readd them. Other Wyze products aren’t having any issue, just these insanely annoying plugs. I can’t count on them for anything important.

9 Likes

I am having the same issue. It keeps going offline. is there a fix or is this normal?

2 Likes

I’m having what I believe is the same issue. The plugs are offline in the WYZE application and blink blue until I unplug them from the outlet then plug them in again. Like the OP, I’ve moved mine around the house and the problem follows the plug. Occasionally unplugging and plugging in the plug doesn’t do it and I have to re-add the plug to the app in order for it to connect.

In all cases, the WYZE plug appears offline in the WYZE app. However, when I login to my Wireless Access Point I can see that the WYZE plug is connected to the network.

Instead of re-adding the plug to the app with the same name, I am now deleting it in the app and then adding it with a new name. I figured I should try something new to see if it makes a difference. I want 2 full weeks without a problem before I’m willing to say all is well. So far 1 of the 3 problematic plugs has been good for 2-days using the delete and re-add with a new name method. Also, to test another theory I’m not using a space in the name of the plug. In my mind, this WYZE gear is so buggy nothing is a given.

For the record, I have never had any rules tied to any of my WYZE plugs.

Edit:
I just found this in a similar thread. Essentially WYZE is suggesting we all attempt to do what I stated above. Yup, remove it from the app and add it again. Why not try a new name while you’re at it?

I too am having this problem. Yesterday two plugs went offline and when I checked them they both had flashing blue lights… They are the new bluetooth version. Four other older plugs in the same space were fine. I removed the plugs from the outlets and plugged them back in. They immediately went to pairing mode and I had to add them back to the app/account. I used the same names since I don’t think that’s a problem. I use very simple names: WP08 and WP11.

I have two other “new” plugs that did the same thing recently and they are in a different location. I suspect a firmware issue as I’m running the latest beta 1.2.0.176.

Update:

The same two that went offline a few days ago are offline again. Both are the Bluetooth version running 1.2.0.176. Log ID number is…461444. Not planning to call or contact support as that has been mostly a useless endeavour. Perhaps with all the issues one of the Mavens can reach out and get someone to actually look at the logs.

Update: Another one is back offline today. Log # 462443. This one was offline a couple of days ago. I haven’t added it back yet.

4 Likes

For what it is worth:
The plugs that I deleted from the app and added back in with a new name (which does not contain a space) have been solid. 3-days on one plug and 1-day on another.

1 Like

In theory, nothing in the Wyze system uses the name of the device. All operations are performed on the MAC address.

I believe this problem may be tied to the new firmware rev.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I’m now on day-4 with one device and day 2 on another without a problem. I’m not saying it’s fixed, but so far so good.

I am having the same problem and also have the C by GE plugs which do not fail. Every other Wyze device (2 outdoor strips, bulbs, 2 cameras, Sense 2, etc.) stay online. Been doing the same “fix” as noted in this thread.

I’m having this same issue with one of my two new generation plugs as well. One stays on line the other keeps dropping offline. I have to unplug and re plug in for it to show. I think its firmware or a hardware issue with these new generation plugs. My two original plugs are rock solid.