Wyze Cam Outdoor - Battery life - Troubleshoot with WYZE

Sure thing. I have it charging up currently.
When it is fully charged I will place it on its mount again and will let it proceed to drain.
Is there anything specfic I need to do when submitting?

Thank you, on the card, there should be a folder with name ā€œlogā€. if you could DM me the file, then we can take a look.

Another quick check visual check is - if the LED light at the back of the camera turn off, when there is no motion in front of the camera.

Hi all, Iā€™m sorry about the battery drop problem. we found an issue in the latest firmware that may cause the camera doesnā€™t go back to sleep properly after triggering a motion event. Weā€™re currently working on a hotfix firmware thatā€™s planned for beta testing this week. If no blocking issues are found, weā€™ll push it to the public asap.

4 Likes

There is (or sure as heck seems like it) a serious bug in the latest firmware that came out a bit ago for WCO. I got about 3-4 weeks battery in a low-traffic hallway and when I went to recharge after the firmware update it was dying in a day or two at most. Thought it was a fluke so rechargedā€¦same thing. Repeat twice, same result. Then I saw they actually built the ability to revert to previous firmware versions right into the app (you can even go back multiple!!!), I went back to the previous, charger 'er up, and BAMā€¦back to what seems like long battery life again.

As a total aside: I hate the font this forum uses (is it the ā€œwyze fontā€? The exclamation points !!! look exactly like the lowercase letter el lllll until you zoom is SUPER HUGE. Ugh. At least the el isnā€™t the same as the numeral ā€œoneā€. Why people design, and choose, fonts that have inherent readability issues is beyond me.

Sorry for the non-sequitur.

1 Like

Bad firmware updateā€¦ reverting fixed it for me too.

Iā€™m having the same battery issue on my WOC. I received a 20% warning last night and less than 30 minutes later a 10% warningā€¦then DEAD.

I would love to roll back to previous firmware. Having trouble finding that option. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1 Like

Any tips on where to find the firmware revert option?

Thanks!

In the app, select the cam then:

Settings > Device Info > Firmware Version

Then select the ā€œHaving Problemsā€ and it will give you the option to revert.

1 Like

Brilliant, thanks! (Turns out I needed to upgrade the app to see the ā€˜Having problems?ā€™ option. :roll_eyes:)

It also doesnā€™t seem to show on all devices yet, for instance it doesnā€™t show as an option on the v3 cams.

You guys need to do a better job testing. The last thing we want to do is deal with this problem when it is below zero outside. Your timing really couldnā€™t have been much worse!

1 Like

Connected to the base Iā€™m getting about 7-10 days before I need to recharge. In travel mode I get less than 12 hours. To test the battery I fully charged it, aimed the camera at a blank wall and turned off IR. In about 8 hours it went from 97% to 30%. I turned the power switch off and in the morning when I turned it back on it had dropped another 8% to 22%.

Really is an issue.
1 degree here, Camera is sitting on the top of a 15 foot post.
Ladders at 15 feet are no fun!

1 Like

Wow 1 degree above zero F; how did you get to be so lucky? Yesterday here in Saint Paul, MN our high was -3F. Iā€™m hoping for an even 0F today for the afternoon high. :slight_smile: I think this deep freeze is supposed to last for another week. Iā€™m hopeful that yesterday was the worst of it.

15ā€™ up on a ladder is bad enough in nice weather, then add in this crazy cold and itā€™s straight up dangerous. Be careful and hopefully you have a helper to ensure the ladder doesnā€™t slip on ice!

Hi all, apologies for all the issues and inconvenience we caused. Over the weekend, we have been working on a firmware fix to resolve the battery drain issue and will release it to beta testing today. The version number is 4.17.1.027. Internally we will go through a correction of error process to prevent things like this from happening again.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a known issue. Revert the firmware as explained in the threads and it will be fine. Then upgrade again when the patched version is released.

Well not the battery issue but a new F/W 4.16.1.8 was released today for the base unit.
ā€œFixed a bug that prevented motion detection from working.ā€

(Wyze Cam Outdoor Base Station 4.16.1.8 Released - 2/8/21)

Yeah, I saw that too. Hopefully my cam-plus clips on my outdoor cam will record all of the motion now and not just the first few seconds (as in less than 12)!

I also have high hopes that WYZE can do a better job with firmware testing. Buggy outdoor cam firmware and buggy v3 firmware were both recently released.

Same thing happened to me, after the latest firmware update.

Camera has always been in the same spot, and due to the pandemic, the same amount of people and/or movement is present, so there is no precedent condition that could trigger an excessive usage.

I was told to do a reboot, a refresh, a change of settings, a change of place (that would make the camera lose its value, since it is right where I need it) and some other things I already did.

The last thing that I didnā€™t try until today (about 10 minutes ago) was disabling recordings (another feature that was a must and a reason to purchase).

The only thing that can be messing the power usage up is a software bug. We will see with the next release if it gets fixed so my Outdoor Cam does, once again, what it was doing so well all along.