Some basic knowledge about battery life -
- In order to achieve the optimal battery life, the camera needs to be very energy efficient, meaning it needs to sleep when not doing intended work.
- Live streaming, recording motion video, time-lapse, scheduled recording all requires camera to be awake. Awake = more battery consumption.
- Charge it to full with supplied cable and base station. If you want to use your own charger, make sure both the adapter and cable is able to supply power greater than 5V/2A.
- Live streaming - feel free to live stream it, that is part of the purpose of the camera. Just be aware that the power consumption, so you don’t leave it streaming while not needed. ( app, alexa, google ). Make sure you end streaming when you are done. In group view, we added a play button for WCO, for this reason.
- Motion detection - if you are having issue with motion detection, pls follow this seperate thread
a. Battery life is directly correlated to the number of events recorded. from App - Event tab, to see roughly how many events being recorded. If you are getting 50, or 100 event per day, the battery life will be much shorter. Adjust your settings, or positions to remove false alerts.
b. In detection setting, there is a “image sensivitiy”. This is a software algorithm to filter out false alerts. ( set to HIGHTEST will not filter out anything ). If you are getting tons of false triggers, but are filtered out by this algorithm, you may not see them in event tab. You can dial this up to the MAX, and see if you are getting too much false alerts. Then adjust the position and settings to remove as much false alerts as you can. Then reapply this algorithm to remove more false alerts.
- Time-lapse and scheduled recording will use much more battery since it requires the camera to be awake a lot.
If your battery is dropping too fast, a quick test is to bring the camera to a control environment ( non or a few alerts a day ) and see how the battery life change day to day.
Does “back up to base station” consume more battery - NO. this video will go to base station first ( then go to cloude ) regardless if this feature is enabled or not. So it DOES NOT consume EXTRA battery.
Does “Person detection” help with battery life - NO. it has no effect on battery life. Because persond detection is processed on the cloud.