Wyze Cam on a Birdfeeder

I didn’t realize like colors were a provocation. Interesting.

Does he strike with beak AND talons? I expect so but can’t tell.

2 Likes

bugs are not out in 30°F weather

5 Likes

So, I repositioned desk feeder WCO to get a close view of birds.

6 Likes

Buck Feeder Cam

4 Likes

Just a squirrel discovering the camera and freezing.

1 Like

Maybe he got a text from the Buck who said @#$% **&^%

This Wyze outdoor camera is just to monitor the feed tray because it is 10 feet off the ground. Squirrels are very intelligent. The camera is mounted on an in ground rated x6 that is about a foot long. A Wasserstein solar panel mounted next to the WOC keeps it charged. This board is mounted to a 3/4 black pipe that slides up and down inside a 6 foot long 1” PVC pipe. I drilled a through hole in rhe black pipe and two notches in the top of the PCV pipe… I raise the black pipe with the camera attached, and insert a screwdriver through the holes in the black pipe. Then I let this sit back down on the PCV pipe with the notches. When it is time to fill the tray, I pull the Philips screwdriver out and lower the assembly. After the tray is filled, I raise it back up, and slide the screwdriver back into the holes.

3 Likes

Here is a Cam V3 with a re-focused stock lens mounted about 4-1/2 inches from my bird feeder. The lens is about 17" from the far edge of the feeder. The stock lens seemed to focus from around 12" to infinity, so only birds at the far side were in focus.

At the current setting the range of focus is about 4.5 to 17-plus inches. It is out of focus at infinity, but who cares. It didn’t take much adjustment–about .04mm (1.5/1000ths). Less than 1/4 turn CCW (longer).

6 Likes

Birds wings in flight are awesome.

This is one of my favorite bird videos.

Hawk handing over a snack

3 Likes

Nice! And the sound makes it comic! :slight_smile:

/edit

Wow! How cool is that??

Any idea what that` is in the distance in the hawk photo? It looks like a bee.

1 Like

I saw that, it read ‘bee’ to me, but I thought ‘or a piece of something else’s corpse’ and I never zoomed-in, caught instead in the talons of flight…

Was you ever bit by a dead bee? :slight_smile:

When I was about 5, a black jacket (one of those as big as your thumb, maybe a hornet) somehow flew up my pants leg (my mom dressed me) and couldn’t get out, so it stung me on the inside of my right thigh. I was at a birthday party, and the mom had me take my pants off outside in case the bee was still alive. All modesty that a 5 years old boy could have went away. All the children were watching for the bee to come out. The bee was still attached to my thigh by the stinger. The mom removed it and I was the center of attention the rest of the party.
My family does attract bees and wasps. My son, now a Tech Sergeant on the Air Force, got stung IN THE EYE by a wasp when he was about 8. That was a fiasco. No damage done.

All the children were watching for the bee to come out.

Best party ever. :slight_smile:

All you WCO birders, there’s a new user looking for advice over here:

:bird::bird::bird: :slight_smile:

This is a V3 being attacked by the chickadee, They attacked several times that day, then not again.

1 Like

how do you re-focus the lens ?

To re-focus the lens you must disassemble the unit. There are a number of videos on YouTube. It doesn’t take any particular skills, just patience.

Once disassembled, heat the lens with a hair dryer to soften the glue that holds it in place. Screw the lens CCW to get closer focus. IT DOESN’T TAKE MUCH!! Less than a quarter turn in my case.

2 Likes