Wyze Cam on a Birdfeeder

I am experimenting with an unusual application of the Wyze Cam Outdoor. I am looking for cameras to set up to monitor bird feeders and other wildlife activity, I have tried Five other brands/types, and have been completely dissatisfied. Three died after rain, so ended up being recycled, The other two may be good action cams for something else. So far, The Wyze outdoor wins for weatherproof and image quality with movement. Here is a short video showing how sparrows deal with bully cardinals, It looks as if the sparrow launched his attack from the top of the camera. This is a WCO with the Camo skin mounted on a post near the feeder. The video was captured as a Pet event.

14 Likes

I am also interested in a feeder cam!

2 Likes

I would like to see a flat lens, no fish-eye, for a feeder came and not so wide. A 3:2 view would work.

And digital framing and zoom tools to tune the set and center or the feeder after placing the camera.

1 Like

Here is a Wyze Cam v3 being used as a bird feeder cam. The camera is 4 feet from the feeder, but the wide angle view makes it look further. The camera is mounted to the outside window sill. I think of a good feeder cam as a “window view”. The camera should capture the size, range, and view width as seen through the window. I wonder if it would be possible to stick on an exterior lens to “correct” the fish-eye effect. Still experimenting.

3 Likes

Now it is a Deer Feeder.

5 Likes

All birdfeeders are deer feeders.

4 Likes

More wildlife at the feeder. AI tagged the skunk as PET, but only tagged Deer as Motion. On a positive note, I like the image quality with the IR Night Vision.

4 Likes

Fun to watch the interaction downloaded and played in utility VLC super slo mo.

Sparrow waits for cardinal to turn his head before he counters, visible only as a single wing flap and and a streak toward the ‘hit’…

5 Likes

I noticed that too. The flight closed the distance between frames. I seems like the sparrow exploded.

1 Like

I just set mine up at a bird bath. I have turned motion detection sensitivity down to 2 and decreased detection zone in order to reduce events triggered by windy trees and moving water. I took this screenshot from a video of a hermit thrush.

9 Likes

Help here. What Is It ? Video is at 20% normal speed.

1 Like

Something fast and furry puffed further and made mysterious by the low fps (frames-per-second) of night vision? :slight_smile:

A bird spirit seeking a bird body in the dead of… evening? :wink:

Don’t know; but here is one on an earlier date.

1 Like

My Wyze v3 has revealed a lot of activity in my yard. Some of it I’m not quite sure what it is ?

The Wyze v3 currently watching my feeder is black and white. The black and white Chickadees have taken offense. Need camo covers / colors for v3,

5 Likes

Relocated the WCO to the ground. How close would you get to the tail end of a skunk, at night ?

4 Likes

Great stuff here. Thanks for sharing!

Those are just flying bugs. I get them all the time on my V3s.