View On PC/Browser (Windows / Mac / Chromebook)

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bluetooth major bug- still here 6 months later. Where is Wyze support?

Not so… several other camera manufacturers already have web interface. Plus we can also make our own interface with a android emulator so its not that far of from creating… Just like most company they are all about the money and will not put this feature out until they see sales start to dip and need something new to bring people back or gain new customers. I grantee that wen interface has been done for some time…

1 Like

Are they concerned this would open a security leak?

It looks like the next version of MacOS will make porting iOS apps to the Mac App Store much easier. This will work as an alternative to desktop browser support. Hopefully the tool will support earlier versions of MacOS as well.

I posted an update a couple months ago that we’re discussing the best way to implement this. There are security concerns that we need to consider before rushing into things and other issues beyond that (I’m not on the dev team so my understanding is a bit limited). I’ll share your feedback with the team, @lordneeko, but I would be surprised if this was the starting point for us being Open Source. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As a lead cyber engineer for 5 years, I am thankful that your devs take security into account.

As a systems engineer for the previous 13 years for embedded software systems, I understand the complexities.
As a user, and on the side developer, of APIs of dozens of products, I am shocked that a modern IT solution doesn’t have an API and some amount of Open Source. That’s not the exception, but the rule these days.

Most times, the only reason a company stays closed is for reasons of profit… Due to misunderstanding of what open source is, not realizing how much their product will benefit from free labor and product adoption.

Regardless, I like my Wyze products. :wink:

1 Like

Is there a way you can get feedback from Nest or AWS on how it is done? I have a Nest Hello and can see everything from my browser. I also have the thermostat and the smoke and CO detector and can see everything from a single browser tab.

And how much did you pay for each of these devices?

For the uninitiated there’s a tremendous overhead in operating any business - costs that are fixed regardless of total sales, and additional costs for each unit produced. At $20/$30 a camera I’m betting there’s not a lot of funding available after meeting the fixed and variable costs of producing and distributing the primary products. Feature enhancements take time, people and money and produce no additional revenue for the company other than potentially increasing sales as compared to the same product without the enhancements.

From Wyze’s (or any other company’s) perspective doing things like the ‘wish list’ are loss leaders hoping that the investment will be recovered via increased sales - with no guarantees.

I too would like to see a browser interface but that was neither promised nor implied when I bought my camera(s) so I don’t feel slighted or shortchanged because it’s not there. If it’s really that important I have the ability to buy a competing product that has it - at a significantly higher price.

I’m quite happy with the Wyze cameras as they are sold, and frankly amazed at what is being provided at those price points. The fact that the company is even considering, much less actually providing, additional functionality at no cost to current owners is, to me, a major bonus. It’s no different than buying a new car and the next model year comes out with a better infotainment system so everyone who has the previous model gets an upgrade. It doesn’t happen with $30,000 cars so why is it expected for a $20 camera? :thinking:

4 Likes

You’re right, but being Richard never helps.

They were able to do person detection on device which some of the big boys are still trying to master. I’m getting few or no erroneous notifications so I’m thinking I can ask for the moon, who knows maybe they can make miracles happen. The margins may be small or they have an excellent supply chain that is cheaper than the competition. They are selling way more cameras than the competition much like Tesla is doing with cars and the business model seems to be working. So we’ll see what happens as the camera as it sits is better than others without even factoring price.

True that function was incorporated, but I’m betting the bulk of the development was done by xnor.ai. Given it’s nature and the announcement by Wyze I left with the impression it was done as much, if not primarily, as a research (“Let’s see if we can do it”) project versus product development and enhancement.

so far, all of the products that Wyze has delivered have been branding packages on third party prodcuts. Wyze’s core competitencies appears to include the ability to provide a low cost product through increase in economies of scale. They appear to be more a logistics managemet company than an engineering company (though I don’t doubt they have a bit of that talent as well)

That’s not a knock on the company. Just my observations. The best way to succeed is to focus on your core competencies. So, baed on that idea, Wyze’s roadmap to achieving a web based viewer for their products is to partner with another organization which already provides it an re-brand it, scale it, make it cheaper to operate.

also, to that point (rebranding 3rd party products) is probably the reason they cannot do open source on their products. Because they don’t own the right to do so. However, it is likely that they do produce the app, and cloud servers applications, in-house; so the ability to open source an API or something would likely be more doable.

Yeah that makes sense. The wyze bulbs are exactly the same as the tp link bulbs, they are likely made in the same factory at Foxconn just stamped with a different brand and sold for way cheaper. A win for consumers! Wyze is like the generic or store brand.

Wyze’s software/firmware is developed in-house. And the hardware you see is not off the shelf. It is customized by the manufacturer according to specifications made by Wyze engineers.

3 Likes

like the generic or store brand

That isn’t a fair label. A generic is typically lower quality or something. I think Wyze takes the 3rd party solution, and adds their own flavor, and improvements, to it. Generics just take something and copy it. In the techno world, you end up with carbon copies with no company backing up their products. That is not what we have with Wyze. They are taking 3rd party products, adding features and, most importantly to me, security/privacy features, and re-branding them.

As Loki pointed out, Wyze even drives some customization at the HW/FW level, so those are all good things.

Still their getting efficiencies through there marketting (or lack there of, counting on word of mouth) and economies of scale.

I think their cameras are unique. The light bulbs are pretty much the same as tp link but cheaper.

Though they do have the vacation mode so that’s a software added feature. It only exists on tp links smart outlets for some reason.

MODERATOR NOTE: This discussion has gone far afield of the subject of this wishlist item. Please start a new topic to continue this discussion if continuing it is your desire.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth until wyze gets something for pc… If you just want to view wyze and don’t need to record and you have a samsung phone (I have galaxy s7), you can use samsung sidesync to view your phone screen that way. Works pretty well.

I can’t believe we got the inaccurate xnor feature before this,