View On PC/Browser (Windows / Mac / Chromebook)

Yeah, I once worked at a company that had random monitoring, but I’d just pull up task manager, find the associated line item, then hide everything but the processor numbers in a small part of the screen. Whenever that started to move I knew they were recording, and I’d click on another icon like Notes to cover up that number that showed they were recording, wait a while, then uncover the little number again so it could warn me when it was “randomly” recording again. I never got recorded/monitored without knowing it, and then I knew they wouldn’t “monitor” again for at least a certain range of time.

I also interviewed with a company that made everyone lock up their phones in a personal locker, then had a guard scan (metal detector) everyone in and out of the entrance/exit. It was ridiculous…but it was more realistic than trying to “jam” phones, because a person could still have their phone, take a picture, or type anything they want into it, and then as soon as they leave the building, they’d still have access to all the data, so Jamming is even more completely ridiculous.

Besides, even if the computer is being monitored randomly, a person can mostly prevent knowledge of what they are doing simply by spacing out the steps so an individual step isn’t suspicious or able to be identified in and of itself, but if seen altogether in the same time instance, it would be obvious. In the screenshot example, a malefactor could take a screenshot (which can be done without visual cues or evidence so that shouldn’t tip them off anyway), wait several minutes, save or change the file name to something that seems harmless or normal (definitely change the file extension), wait several minutes or days, encrypt it into something else like a .zip or whatever, and remove the file extension there too, pretend it is a different file that just got corrupted or crashed and istn’t responding anymore. Send it through some encrypted email or countless other options that they can never intercept or view because of end to end encryption. And a lot of stuff doesn’t have to be as complicated as a screenshot. If someone is trying to steal customers’ credit cards or something, they can send a seemingly innocent email occasionally using a Cypher that seems totally innocent or includes part of the numbers at a time. Maybe email themselves something that seems to be a reminder or something they want and are approved to work on at home, or to study up on some kind of topic related to work, but really it is stealing little pieces at a time. Then delete everything later. There are so many ways to get out any kind of data that an employee wants regardless of the supposed protections. Even top secret stuff is leaked regularly and it uses some of the most stringent security protocols. I’m not necessarily saying places shouldn’t take any precautions, but most of the ones that do so are simply more annoying than they are secure.

Companies could try to implement a “white list” method where only specific things are allowed to be accessed on the network/internet, and nothing else, and if that is the case, then the Wyze browser wouldn’t work at those places anyway. Basically anywhere that implements security to ban phones but would allow access on the computer to go anywhere on the internet is seriously wasting their time IMO, and just making their employees hate work more than they are being “secure.” They aren’t truly preventing the “bad guys” from doing anything, but they are annoying all the people who weren’t going to do anything bad anyway.

Since we are talking about places where the Wyze browser would work, we must logically conclude the employers are really paranoid and aren’t the ones who are banning phones for security, or strictly monitoring the screens, etc. It is simply that people are allowed to access the stuff, and instead of wasting their phone battery and phone life and only having access to 4 cams on the screen at a time, people simply want the convenience of being able to monitor cams on a corner of their computer monitor while they work on other stuff and feel relief at not worrying what’s going on, or the comfort of seeing their family while they are working or whatever. In some ways it’s not much different than someone having a picture of their family as their desktop or whatever (except that it’s using bandwidth). So I think most of the security situations and discussion are irrelevant to most people who want this for while they work.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Browser based access is a far more flexible (and arguably elegant and less resource intensive) solution. Not just OS/platform but application integration, portability, general ease of access, customization, etc.

Like RTSP it kills many possible birds with one stone.

2 Likes

Carver, should it happen that a bound collection, properly indexed of course, of your musings should appear for sale or download, please place my name on the list to get a copy

1 Like

Folks need to let go the “workplace” focus. If Wyze commits to some type of PWA browser solution, then the environment doesn’t matter. Browsers are on all devices, and in all environments. I personally would prefer a MacOS app, but I will settle for anything to let me view/control from my desktop.

2 Likes

They are in-development of this and have said it will be a browser interface accessible to CamPlus subscribers. That was the last I heard in an AMA a while back.

5 Likes

Not having a multicam PC interface by now is unreasonable.
They add functionality to the phone app. However, I am seeing impaired and need to use the app on a large screen. All the new functionality is great, but I can’t see anything but clutter in the Android app. Please add a multicam PC viewing application.

2 Likes

It seems to me that the Wyzepowers to be” are trying their darndest to tie the most requested enhancements to the ‘Cam +’ subscription service which apparently is a good source of image.png
for them. It would have been nice to know the eventual direction the company has chosen before many of us bought into the service/devices.

If you don’t have a ‘Cam +’ subscription you will miss out on the attractive “NEW” features. Comments and or corrections are welcome…

2 Likes

What year and model of Mac do you have?

2018 Mac Mini on Big Sur

If you have an M1 Mac the iPad OS app will work.

Yes, I have an M1 Mac on which the iPad Wyze app works at FULL SCREEN.
I also have a mid-2012 Mac on which the Android Wyze app runs in BlueStacks at FULL SCREEN.
So if you are at home with a Mac this is an option available to you until Wyze has a browser-based version of its app. Just a point of information to be helpful. I am not opposed to users getting a browser-based version of the Wyze app.

Your 2018 Mac Mini should have no trouble running the Android app on BlueStacks at full screen, as I do on my much older mid-2012 MacBook Pro. Try it and I predict that you will be pleasantly surprised. Then, when Wyze comes out with a browser version you can switch to that if you prefer.

Off topic but I’m interested yet curious as to where you are able to buy Flic 2 buttons for $20 or anything near that. Amazon only seems to carry the original less talented Flic button, and the Flic site at Shortcut Labs wants $37 for one button with shipping. And if you need your phone to use it in order to avoid buying their $100 hub, why not just use the phone’s Alexa app Routine?

I just bought their 6 pack that normally is $179, but currently on sale for $119. Let’s see 119 divided by 6 is about 20. Yep, gotta buy a hub or a low end kit to get started. But I have them everywhere now. Love them. Sorry, it sounded misleading.

Every time that I have looked at their buttons on Amazon, Amazon is much higher. This is one of the few products that I buy from the manufacturer site vice Amazon. :slight_smile:

Good idea. Now that we can apply more than one name to an Alexa routine, I can use the button and a named routine by its name.

Hello,

Any updates on this topic?
Web or native app would be great, but RTSP would be also a pretty good option.

@mdzidic
They have announced it is in development for a web version that will be under the Cam Plus features

RTSP exists for the v2 and Pan currently and is being worked on for the v3

4 Likes

Is that a light I see at the end of this tunnel??

Or the shining star out of a butthole that’s talking. (Not you Jason, just company history)

I really hope so, I know with it as part of Cam Plus it will still disappoint many, but it is a step in the right direction I believe

2 Likes

Yup, would be better like Nest. The iPad app actually works better on an M1 than an iPad as you don’t have to rotate the screen to portrait when navigating the app.